Guest viewing is limited

TKR Bumps on the Recovery Road<

I had my revision last March. I went to my OS last week and was told the same thing. It's not even a year and it will continue to get better. I have some stiffness and a good deal of numbness on my knee and lower leg. I try to ice when I feel stiff at the end of my day (probably not as often as I should) because I do find I feel better afterwards.
 
I'm three years out from my surgery. Woke up last week to a very swollen, stiff knee, with that icky banded feeling back. I haven't had that sensation in years. I hadn't done anything to stress it as I've been a bit under the weather. Hit it with NSAID's, ice and elevation. Went down a bit, but it's still very stiff and swollen. I'm a military dependent so I must see my primary care manager first for a referral to the orthopedic surgeon. I did that today, and she ordered xrays.

It doesn't feel loose and it's not clicking or anything. I have been getting this slight burning sensation in it which is new and odd. It's not red, hot and I don't have a fever although infection looms in the back of my mind. I'm probably just being a Nervous Nelly, but I'm worried and frustrated.

My surgery was successful but I've had to deal with slight ongoing inflammation. I was seen a year out by a major joint surgeon (mine had moved on), and he said my xrays looked great but that I was probably just one those 10% of people who have to deal with chronic inflammation. The last time I was measured I was at 115 flexion.
 
Last edited:
@Gimpy54 I hope you get some answers soon. I’m sure you do have some nagging concerns about infection, hopefully that won’t be the case.
 
I moved it into your existing thread.
Woke up last week to a very swollen, stiff knee, with that icky banded feeling back. I have been getting this slight burning sensation in it which is new and odd.
As for your problem, I doubt it's an infection but it might be either a soft tissue issue or a loose implant. The only person who can verify that is your surgeon. So you need to go see him as soon as you can if only to rule out the loosening. If he does that, come back and we'll talk about the soft tissue.
 
Thank you for the input, Josephine, and the encouragement, Jboles. It helps hearing from knowledgeable people that infection isn't likely.

@Josephine do you have a link to explain the soft tissue thing?

I was able to access the radiology report online this evening, and everything looks normal. Because of the military system, it will probably be a while before I actually get to talk to a surgeon.

Pulled out my GameReady Ice machine and cranked it up. I haven't used it over two years. Felt good--ice, ice, baby!
 
Last edited:
Josephine, I'm not sure what I meant by that either. :sad: I'm just upset and I want someone tell me that it's going to get better.

I finally got in to see a surgeon on Friday. He said that he didn't think it was infected, but that he couldn't promise me it wasn't. It's still really swollen and sore, although it seems to be staying pretty much the same--not getting worse--no redness. He wants to wait about six weeks to see if it improves, if it doesn't, then he will do a needle aspiration.

I've started wearing my strap brace again. It makes it feel better.

Have any of you ever had that happen? Just swell up on you for no reason, and stay that way? I'm frustrated and scared.

Thank you Irish471, Jboles, and Josephine for your advice, kind words and prayers. Sorry I didn't do that earlier.
 
He wants to wait about six weeks to see if it improves, if it doesn't, then he will do a needle aspiration.
Well it’s already been 3 weeks and it hasn’t settled down yet. Are you considering a second opinion? This surgeon didn’t seem to be very helpful.

And how sad to have to resort to a brace. We have surgery so we don’t have to wear a brace.
 
Well it’s already been 3 weeks and it hasn’t settled down yet. Are you considering a second opinion? This surgeon didn’t seem to be very helpful.
I'm a military dependent, on Tricare Prime. I saw the major joint surgeon at Walter Reed Medical Center. It took three weeks, because of the referral process. His rationale for waiting on the needle aspiration is that he said that it could introduce bacteria to the knee. He really doesn't think it's infected, and told me it will probably get better. I have my doubts, it just doesn't feel right. He said that if it's infected, it has to come out, and waiting six weeks isn't going to make a difference. :sad:

It's just a double strap brace that I'm wearing, but yes, I'm not happy wearing it nor being back on NSAIDs.
 
I’m sorry you have to wait so long, but that seems to be the way it is with most medical issues. It’s very frustrating.

My husband has had major back pain for a couple of years now. Every appointment and test is scheduled weeks apart and in the mean time he’s in pain every day. Just like you with your knee.

And I’m sure you’re limited, too, within the military system.

I’m 2 years post op with a partial that has never felt right. I’ve had 2 second opinions. My X-rays are supposedly fine. They won’t look any further for a problem.
 
Just a thought... can you just go ahead and get the needle biopsy sooner? Atleast you would know and not have to wait 6 weeks to wonder whether it was infected or not.
Good luck!
 
Did your doctor take new xrays?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom