Guest viewing is limited

BTKR - how to take it all in given 6 weeks notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even nurses where I work have said "Wow, thats gonna hurt a LOT!!
IT didn't hurt a lot---after surgery, my pain was very well controlled,and my nurses and other care-givers worked diligently to to tell me to tell them if I was in pain.

After I go home, there was some post-surgical pain and discomfort, but again, it subsided and went away---arthritis pain only gets worse.

I did have a pesky little limp for about five months, but at month six, I began to notice big-time break-throughs--I was at about 80%-85%. At eight month, I was at about 90%-95%.

I figure that it took me eight months or so---two TKR's would have taken a year or more, I figure.
 
Irishkate- And here I wait, in pain, not sleeping, hardly walking and faking a great smile through it all.
Yes! People always say they have no idea because I don't cry and complain. Maybe we should have!
 
Referee 54 -
Thank you for the video...helped a lot! Doesn't look too strenuous - but a little painful..the 'patient' even winces a bit.
kprune -
Believe me I do CRY - wail at times - only when I am alone and usually after being on my feet all day and in the car on the way home...then I crawl into the house and collapse on the bed. It is not a fun life right now...I look forward to it only getting better after the surgery. Lots of things on here that have put my mind at ease - the forums have been the best. Haven't read the post-op forums yet...will do that closer to the 18th.

I keep on keeping on.
 
The time is getting closer - I went to my primary care physician and he laughed at the BTKR - somehow he thought getting them both at once was so funny! I was more than a little disturbed by his demeanor and his laughter. i think i need a new doctor, even though he was the one who got this whole thing started for me. I have yet to tell my work - a little concerned there, but it is what it is and i plan on asking for 3 weeks off - and taking more if needed. Did anyone have short term disability insurance? I need to have some income during this time or I will be in a mess financially...and if I do lose my job over this (can they do that?) I will need to be able to get to work sooner than later. The articles and information have been so helpful and I am doing squats and leg lifts to try to strengthen my legs. Any other suggestions that would be helpful - I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks in advance.
 
Hi irishkate - I am in New York State and will be on short term disability. Here it is not very good - about $170 pet week and they take out taxes. My job gave me a really hard time about having the surgery and then about needing 10 - 12 weeks off without complications. This is for one knee so I think you will definitely need to consider more time off. If the company you work for has 50 or more employees you are protected from losing your job in the US under the FMLA act. If it has less you have little protection. My employer has only 30 so there is a good chance I will lose my job. If there are 12 employees or more where you work then you should be protected by the American with Disability Act or ADA. You can find info on line. Www.ada.gov. I believe you could find help as you cannot perform a life function if you cannot walk which is the definition of a disability. Many of us here are going thru what you are. I had to come to terms with a good possibility of losing my job after 28 years. I decided my knees and health are more important and somehow will survive financially. There are others here that know the law much better than I do and I am sure will respond as each state is different with their laws. However I do not think three weeks off work for recovery is realistic. Please take care and remember your health comes first! - JoAnne


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Irishkate, please check out the laws plus any human resource handbooks or paperwork you have at work- it will help you know where you stand. Also, as hard as it is you really need to tell your employer - it will only be worse if you do not tell them with adequate lead time as you will really need more than 3 weeks off. This is a big recovery and the knees rule as to when we can do things. I only had one knee done at a time and returned each time at 6-7 wks and that was hard. If you read the threads here you will see that most people or their knees take at least 6 wks and most often 12wks. Some with bilaterals had returned at 8 but it slowed down their progress. A lot depends on your job - mine is administrative so I can sit, elevate and walk as I need. Also, any chance you could work from home part time.

Please take care of yourself because your health does come first. Lee
 
You really need to give your employer ample time to prepare for your surgery so they can arrange for coverage during your absence. If you want them to treat you well, you also need to treat them well. There is no way you'll be back to work in 3 weeks after a bilateral. I'm having a bilateral also, and when they asked me when I'd be back, I told them that I didn't know, but I would return as soon as I could, but that it would be at least 2 or 2 1/2 months.
Because my attendance was always very good before and they seem to genuinely value what I do, I have no doubt they will go along with whatever this takes. I also can get my work emails on my iPhone, so I'll be able to communicate with them on some of my work and help out my temporary replacement.
 
There is no way you'll be back to work in 3 weeks after a bilateral.
Bingo. I had a BTKR, and, at three weeks, I was still in the cotton ball haze of the pain meds. At three weeks, you are still seriously expending large amounts of energy with the body sending large amounts of energy toward the knees in the healing process.

I returned at eight weeks, but, honestly, that was too soon. Looking back, I know now that by returning as quickly as I did, I slowed down my recovery.

Three weeks seems like a lot of time when you are dealing with arthroscopic surgery; a BTKR surgically devastates both your knees. I would say ten weeks minimum, and twelve weeks would be ideal. Even at twelve weeks, some need a phased in return to work.

Some with bilaterals had returned at 8 but it slowed down their progress.
That was me! I was stiff, sore and exhausted at the end of the day---the tiredness went away slowly, but the stiffness and the soreness stayed with me until March (I had the BTKR on November 8th).

I was on Oxycontin, and I tried to grade essays that were brought over by my substitute teacher. I found that I could only grade three or so at a time, as I could not focus and would quickly fall asleep.

I would be honest with your employer---so there are no surprises. I would, as others have said, check into the laws that deal with this so you understand your rights. Perhaps it might be advisable to check with an attorney friend to see what the best course of action might be.
 
These folks are right....I'm not sure where you got the idea that you would only need 3 weeks for recovery for a BTKR, but it's way off base. You need to plan on at least 10-12 weeks. Even that may not be enough. If you can work from home at your job, you might be able to start that at 8 weeks or so. This is really major surgery and it does take time to get back to feeling even somewhat normal.

Are you saying you don't have disability insurance now? If you don't have a policy in force, I'm doubting that you will be able to get one with your surgery coming up so soon. Granted you might be eligible for disability payments through your state (if they have them) or the Federal government, but it takes time to get those benefits. They really aren't designed for temporary disability like recovery from surgery. But, you should check out what IS available from your state....it really varies....sometimes even within counties in a state! Contact your county social services office as a starting point and go from there.

It's true that you are covered under the Family Medical Leave Act (FLMA) if your employer has at least 50 employees. You are granted up to 12 weeks off from your job with no penalty. It is unpaid leave, however. And you must notify your employer immediately that you wish to take the leave. This isn't something you can (or should) just drop on them. There is no need to feel guilty about needing the surgery. You are doing something positive that should allow you to come back and be an even better employee when pain is gone from the arthritic knees. Stress this to your boss!!
 
irishkate my God . Did you say three weeks. you might want to rethink that maybe even delay your btkr.till u get things in order at work . atleast a few weeks..I know the pain is unbearable. also might want to look up on youtube tkr surgeries and tkr post op recoveries. between bonesmart and you tube ill b very prepared for my feb 2014 rtk.. also im only 48 big and strong and in pretty good shape overall don't smoke or drink and im going to take atleast 4 months off I work for a great company with great benefits so no pressure there but I have a very physical job so I will need to be well and rested for my return. honestly irish kate 3 weeks wont cut it and I haven't even had my surgery but ive researched soo much. good luck please keep us posted
 
o might want to look up on youtube tkr surgeries and tkr post op recoveries.
Here you go:
https://www.cleveland.com/healthfit/index.ssf/2013/11/new_knee_new_life.html#incart_m-rpt-2
https://www.cleveland.com/healthfit/index.ssf/2013/11/new_knee_new_life_john_favalor_2.html
https://www.cleveland.com/readers/in...ement_surgery_comes.html#incart_river_default

TKR surgery - WARNING: real life photos

If you take a look at the surgery video, as well as the still pictures, you will see why there is a need for a long recovery time period. Your knees will sustain major surgical trauma.
 
Wow ref. Great video. I feel as if I know exactly what im going to be going through, also with some great post op videos. Im now aware of the femur @ tibula. And the trauma we all went and will go through. Thats why im in no big rush to go back to work. I severed a finger about 7 years ago and was back to work like 2 weeks later.i was going crazy at home after 1 week but realize I got way more to lose than a finger tip. Ill be way more prepared. Netflix hula cable sports and news. Laptop @ youtube to occupy my time along with my exercises and some good eats .pain management and ice ice ice and elevate . Can u recommend a good wedge pillow ? One guys used a 5 gallon bucket to elevate and exercise. and a pulley strung up to lift his leg up and off his bed. Im on the young side so I feel as if I will manage fine. Thanks again REF.
 
Thank you, thank you, thank you - one and all! I have told my boss who was very understanding. I have only worked for the company for 6 months so FMLA does not cover me. I am the only employee who does my work and no one else depends on my work being done. I have decided that if I lose my job - well I was looking for one when I found this one...I just don't want to run into insurance complications. I go in tomorrow at 6:30 am MST. I live in Idaho. I have looked up the short term disability and my company does offer it - so I have told the HR woman and she is getting the paperwork together. I WILL TAKE WHATEVER AMOUNT OF TIME I NEED TO HEAL!!! I will I will I will. I watched the surgery on you tube before I ever found this site and I still plan to do what ever I am told - as often as I am told to do it - to be able to make the recovery the best it can be. I am strong and have a great attitude - will be so thankful to have this pain stop - even if I am just trading it for other pain - at least that pain will be on the decrease not the increase. I will have my laptop and books and they said I would be treated very well being in there over Christmas. ;) So I will be as ready as I can be and I want to wish you all A very wonderful Holiday and thank you again for all your caring and support. I will let you know when I am settled how it all went!
 
I will be looking for you on the recovery side with your new shiny knees . Sending good thoughts and warm wishes. Lee:xmas-win:
 
Irishkate, hope all is well and that surgery went as scheduled . Havent heard from you or maybe I need to look harder, maybe you started another thread. Well good luck in recovery
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom