Guest viewing is limited

PKR Boredom, self-pity, pain and frustration

Hi Tykey, how long after op did you walk unaided?? Speaking to someone prior to my op they said they were driving 3 weeks after operation - maybe that has given me unrealistic expectations (after all, they could have been being fluid with the truth).
 
they said they were driving 3 weeks after operation
Not only are these "stories" unhelpful, most are not true. I'm not sure any surgeon would release a patient to drive at 3 weeks. Could they do an emergency stop so early out of surgery?

When you start leaving your walking aid behind it's a sign you are starting to wean off using it. Until then, please use it. You just need to gain a bit more strength and confidence.
 
I was toddling around the house (carefully) after a couple of weeks, 2 or 3 weeks more to go outside, but I usually took one crutch hanging loosely because I walked in the woods with uneven ground and it gave me a bit of security as I went over obstacles. We are all different, comparing ourselves to others is very problematic. I'm stubborn and when I see a challenge, I go for it - but I sometimes regret it
We get these wonderful stories from people we meet. I could have driven after 3 weeks, if I had an automatic. Notwithstanding that, we are virtually banned from driving for 6 weeks, because if we have an accident we can get arrested and have no insurance! We should write a book about nonsensical recovery stories, good and bad. A friend of mine said their aunties cousins half sister had an implant which was 100% plastic. The leg of another went black and dropped off.

You are doing fine.
 
Good point, the insurance companies would not be happy to hear of driving after such a short while and yes, it is these 'stories' that lead to people setting themselves unrealistic goals. Oh well, back to more attainable goals - preferably maintaining my leg in the requisite colour and not losing it if/when it falls off.
 
Hi I didn't do PT until almost 2 weeks after my op- infact here they encourage you to rest first with gentle home exercises first. It didn't do me any harm infact I think it did me good so don't worry, like tykey I was issued elbow crutches by day 8- I was down to just 1 crutch as I needed a free hand to carry things. Fast forward 4 months I'm totally crutch free and do not own a stick, you will find that every so often you'll forget your crutch then panic but all will be fine...soon you will be confident without.
Enjoy your outings they really help with this recovery x
 
Yup. Me too. I was walking with one crutch within the second week, but, here, at 11 weeks, I still keep a crutch nearby. I actually left one at work last Thursday, though. It’s important to stick with the support when you need it.

I got a lot out of my early PT, but it was gentle and gave me a chance to talk through some of my physical process. It also gave me a chance to get the heck out of the house and stop for a yummy Southern biscuit (which is not a cookie, but a warm, comforting hunk of savory . . . Um . . . I’m going to stop for one on my way to work this morning . . . Where was I . . . Oh, yeah, PT.) I could have done the PT on my own, but I liked getting out for it.
 
Wow I'm really hungry now and i don't even know what you're talking about! I have found I need to eat more because of taking so many painkillers so I can see a diet on the cards once I am back to normal.
 
It is well authenticated (by me) that there is no better medication for recovery from any ailment, particularly a TKR, than jam Roly poly and custard.
I don't know what a Southern Biscuit is, either

Yes, I overate as well, and put on 6lb. But I calculated that 4lb was due to the swelling and weight of the metal in there, so that wasn't too bad, was it!
 
I drove at week five I think. Just around the corner from my home to my PT sessions. Then a bit farther. By week six my doc said fine. I noted that my cruise-control did not work preventing me from a mid-state trip I wanted to do. It was getting in and out of the car that was a real drag! All ok now week nine but I do have a seat riser on drivers side.

It seems to me everyone's at their own pace and re. use of devices. I returned to work last week (50 days post TKR) and used my cane there about 40% of the time. Then when I got home, tired, I used my four-wheeler to roll in the house, a bit. The next half hour using nothing at all. Depends on how I feel before/ after activities or upon awakening.

I just let my body tell me. Outside I am cane for sure, as we have snow!
 
Last edited:
Hi Loobs, I'm 10 days ahead of you with my second TKR. Both times I came home with sticks, never used crutches.

I've been walking round indoors without the sticks for the best part of a week, but still take 2 with me outside and will until I feel confident to go to 1 and then none. Like LD I found sometimes I needed to revert to my stick/sticks if my leg tired and I was either beginning to limp or felt my walking gait wasn't as it should be.

Both times I've only had the exercises I came out of hospital with and a physio assessment 2 or 3 weeks after surgery before joining a hip and knee post surgery class in the physio gym at 6 weeks. This time I've been given a 2nd assessment in 2 weeks so they can check on how my extension is progressing before they sign me up for the class. I'm glad I didn't have formal physio too early, it gave me the control over what I felt my knee could cope with (until I overdid it!) and gave my knee some time to heal. Our knees soon let us know when we work them too hard. I found little and often can be better than struggling to do 10 or 20 in one go.
 
I so agree with you on the PT/ Physio over-doing it etc. As I was unable to sleep much my first three weeks post TKR I stayed in bed to at least REST above average!

But once I got going I don't think my knee missed much. I did what PT I could in bed (and there are many that can be done there). And then onsite PT took me to the next levels. The 'window' of ROM had not closed as rumored... :snork: ... I go to PT now only once a week.

And as I mentioned in other posts, I think I'll always travel with at least a collapsible cane. I have some back issues and not about to fall down being brave when on odd surfaces and the like. Nope.
 
Last edited:
@LD of Michigan
Re the collapsible cane, I bought one after my first TKR and took it out with me for a while, but never actually used it. It gave me that security of knowing I had it if I needed it. Maybe you'll find the same, but it doesn't really matter if you do need it. Do what's right for you. Far better to use it rather than risk falling.
 
What are you all doing with regard to pain relief? I am down to simply taking 2 paracetamol every 6 hours plus icing my knee after doing my exercises - currently sitting on the bed with a pack of frozen peas wrapped in a towel placed on my knee. I am finding that all these painkillers make me feel sick so I have been given omeprazole to take, does anyone else use these and do they help?
I do actually have a collapsible cane, I had forgotten about that until you mentioned it - woohooo, unusual for me to be ahead of the game.
Currently very windy outside but much better than yesterday so will try and get out again, it does make so much difference to my mood. Visiting the pub was brilliant, just being out of the house and spending time with people other than my long-suffering husband was wonderful.
Have a good day.
 
I very soon got onto 2 paracetamol every 4 hours, and maybe a codeine at bedtime if I had overdone it during the day.
After 2 or 3 weeks I started to forget because I had no significant pain, so gave up.
I didn't think paracetamols caused stomach upsets, but we are all different, aren't we

Best to be safe than sorry with the walking aids. I, foolishly, took my elbow crutches for a walk in the ice and snow, despite 'er indoors shouting at me. I finished upside down! No damage, but I didn't tell her
 
I knew @Tykey would bring up that Jam Roly Poly and Custard protocol, but my insurance won’t cover it!

My pain was very manageable with acetaminophen, and I took ibuprofen for the swelling. Ice, elevation, and the Great British Baking Show got me through tougher times, not to mention a bunch of other great series when I could focus on a plot.

I take Nexium, which has a generic name with far too many syllables, but it might be what you’re taking. It helps me a lot. If I don’t take it, I’m in real trouble.
 
Omprazole are tummy liners I too was given them as I was taking Tramadol and paracetamol, initially I took tramadol every 8 hours and paracetamol every 6 as time progressed I reduced to every 12 and 8 and then eventually stopped taking Tramadol, I did however take paracetamol to almost 3 months now at 4 months I only take 1 paracetamol if I over do it ... you will know yourself what pain level you can tolerate....did the Omprazole work ..possibly as I never suffered any tummy upsets although I only took 1 b4 breakfast everyday.
Like you I used frozen peas and the occasional wine cooler on my knee initially iced 4-5 times daily for about 40 mins now once if I remember and if leg is swollen.
 
I've just had 2 x 500mg paracetemol 6 hourly since the day after the op as all the opiates make me feel so ill. I take omeprazole anyway and that made no difference to how sick I felt. I have started using a muscle pain relief gel at night at the back of the knee, or sometimes use Voltarol.It's one that my husband uses for cycling and I think it helps. I ice 4 times a day, about 45 mins a time.

It was very wet and windy here yesterday. I didn't bother with my daily walk. Still very breezy today, but I might chance a short one.
 
I used a basic rolling walker at home day and night for the first two weeks or so, and then continued using it at night for another few weeks if I had to get up for any reason. I found it gave me a lot more confidence because my new knee would tend to give out fairly frequently. It was also faster than walking with a single cane.

One thing I found helpful was to make a chart of all the meds I was taking including OTC meds. Noting the time and quantity of pills taken made it easy to know when it was OK to take more, or not exceed daily limits for acetaminophen for example.

Doubt, depression, irritability, anxiety, boredom - yep, I had all of those. Sometimes cycling through the entire list multiple times a day. For weeks on end. Any excuse to get out of the house even for just a short time definitely helps. Hang in there! This community is a great resource. Wish I had found it early in my recovery.
 
I also used a rolling walker and it had a seat on it. I used the seat to carry my stuff from the kitchen, bathroom, etc. That was quite helpful. When I started working on my extension, I used the walker to hold on to, so I could safely take longer strides.
 
Well, first 'proper' physio session today and I discovered my crutches had been set too low - they have been corrected and I can use them now and almost look graceful instead of like the hunchback of Notre Dame. I have learnt a few more exercises and been told to wear the (really uncomfortable) elastic stockings in border to stop my ankle ftom swelling. Interestingly, went out yesterday and in the hour I spent walking /drinking coffee / shopping, I spoke to 3 women who had all had a TKR (each time they just started chatting when they saw my crutches). All so thrilled with the result, cheered me up enormously.
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom