blood clot risk - leg pump machine & adjusting

Status
Not open for further replies.

smcct

LTHR 2/2/11

Hi All... I am new here, just found the site as I wait out the quiet part of my recovery. I am 38 years old and finally have my new hip! I was born with a congenital hip deffect, which they did their best to correct when I was 2 years old, but I always knew I would need a replacement.

As I am sure you all know, the recovery is hard! Physically I feel like I am doing very well: almost no pain (just sore and stiff); walking well with a cane and can even take some steps on my own; walking-slowly!- on the treadmill; off pain meds-except Tylenol; etc. But, I am tired! And, it is hard to be so removed from my old life! I was an avid gym go-er and was super busy with my job and son and friends. All of a suddent it's just gone! I know it will come back in time, but, well, this first week or so is tough. When did you all feel like life was returning to some normalcy?

Also, I was sent home with the crazy leg pumps to prevent blood clots. I am not on cumadin (just an aspirin), but these things are so bulky and- arg! just adding to my frustration about not moving, etc, and interupting my sleep. Did anyone else have these? Any tips? They come off next Wednesday... but, at this point, each day seems like a year!!

Most of the time I am incredibly greatful for the gift of this new hip... but, it does seem to be up and down for me, still. Sigh... it gets better, right?

Thanks for your thoughts!
S

smcct - yes it certainly does get better and better. You are very early out and patience is going to be the key to your recovery success. You WILL get back to the gym and to doing all the things you love. But it's not an overnight thing.

Have you done any reading in the Library? Start with this thread. It will give you a rough idea of how long this recover takes. I printed this thread out and referred to it over and over again after my THR.

And yes, recovery is a series of ups and downs. The ups get longer and longer. But listen to your body and take that down time when you need it.

In the UK we have compression socks for 6 weeks instead of the leg pumps. I had the pumps until discharged from the hospital. How long do you have to use them in a day? The only thing I can suggest is a good funny movie, a good book or how about spending time here with us!

The tired feeling will also ease - but it does take time. Don't fight it. Just rest and chill out for now. It can take some weeks to get your stamina back.

How long does it take to recover? How long is a piece of string! Seriously, it's different for everybody but the chart Jaycey gave you a link to will give you a guide that some things just do take a while - a long while - and the stamina issue is one of them. You can expect to be short on energy and stamina for some months as your healing body takes up almost all the calories you have. If you start trying to do too much too soon, you will be fighting your body for calories and guess who will lose? You will! Healing will take the energy regardless so if you overdo it, you will just be left feeling like a wrung out dish rag! So best to not be too optimistic in progress and listen to your body. As and when there are spare calories for you to expend on something new, it will let you know!

Interesting questions. One is easy, the other is hard. How long is a piece of string? Twice the distance from the middle to one end. How long does recovery take? Depends, depends, depends.

I'm 11 days PostOP from a RTHR. My body and all the people around me have convinced me I am extremely lucky and am enjoying a remarkablly rapid recovery. Is this because I'm a saintly person or found some magical Doctor? No....I believe it's because I had my operation very shortly after symptons developed and a diagnosis tended. The rest of my body did not have time to deteriorate or develop compensating conditions. I've read a lot of Posts and talked to a lot of people and have to conclude that one of the factors that dictate the speed of recovery is how "damaged" the rest of the body is. A personal example....people tell me I look taller, a nice bonus. Actually I am just standing straighter, not hunched over in pain.

Another factor is each persons built in individual capacity and ability to heal. Apparantly, we are all different in this respect. Genes? DNA? nutrition? etc. I don't know the answer. We have no apparant control over this and can only be accepting. It's easy for me to preach this because I'm moving along very well. If I weren't I'd be frustrated and impatient and can certainly understand these feelings in others. To some extent we have to play the cards we are dealt.

What I can say is that relief and the recapture of the life style you desire will happen.I have always believed in the axiom that" keep doing what your doing and you'll keep getting what your getting". I like what I'm getting so I'll keep rigorously following instructions, maintain an optimistic attitude and seek out the support and advice of the good folks at BoneSmart.

Stay in touch, ask for support and vent your feelings. We have all been there.

I, too had a congenital hip. Never could cross my legs lotus style. Osteo-arthritis was their diagnosis. 30 plus years as a chef figured in the wear and tear. Like Jack, I remain overly-optimistic. I will be a much better person this summer for what I endured this winter. Time heals all wounds. It'll be healed up before you know it.

Welcome to BoneSmart, smcct.....I'm glad you found our forum and decided to join us. Please know that we're here for you!

It will help if you do some reading in the library here on BoneSmart and in some of the post-op threads. You'll see that you do have some healing to do before you can get back to your life. But....you WILL get your activity back, and more if you want it! This is great surgery!!! You are young and you are going to have the whole rest of your life to enjoy yourself. This small period of recovery will be over soon and it will just be a small "blip" in the scheme of things.

Try to focus on all the good things that will be coming your way. This down time is sometimes best used to reflect on the blessings of your life and a surgery that can give it all back to you.

Let us hear more from you. We'll want to know all those milestones (large or small) that you accomplish as you recover.

thanks guys... wise words!

headed to bed, but i will be in touch... it is so helpful to know there are so many of you who really get it... :)

sweet dreams,
susanne

Hi, Susanne,
I had those leg pumps in the hospital and then again in the rehab facility but didn't have them at home. Do you only use them at night? That's when I had to use them. I remember the first few nights when they would start up I would get startled - felt like someone was pulling at my legs! Got used to them after a while but certainly was glad to leave them behind :) I, too was just on aspirin, so thought it was an OK trade off not to be on coumadin.

Be patient with yourself...recovery is a process, sometimes it feels so slow, but I think it's because we're in the midst of it all. I think Jamie is probably right, that one day it will just be a "blip" in our lives.

Susanne,

Where did you have your surgery done? I'm surprised they sent you home with a leg pump machine, instead of the itchy TED stockings.

It's hard not to get discouraged sometimes, but you're doing so well, walking with a cane 10 days out is awesome!

Best of luck to you as you heal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HaiPao
Recent bookmarks
Back