Guest viewing is limited

THR Bionic Side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat62

new member
Joined
Jan 26, 2017
Messages
16
Age
64
Location
Columbus
Gender
Female
Country
United States United States
48 hours out, and I'm setting up my new thread in preparation. Trying to get everything in motion and SO eager to be answering on this, with my new bionic hip.
On Valentines Day, I have a date with a surgeon! Woohoo!
I'll report in as soon as I'm able. See you all there!
 
48 hours out, and I'm setting up my new thread in preparation. Trying to get everything in motion and SO eager to be answering on this, with my new bionic hip.
On Valentines Day, I have a date with a surgeon! Woohoo!
I'll report in as soon as I'm able. See you all there!

@Kat62. You will be great!


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you are more than ready.
Here's the reading for you to get a little ahead of things.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock as prescribed
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Best wishes for a safe surgery! You will feel the difference right after the surgery. It's amazing!


Sent from my iPad
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sending warm and positive thoughts your way for the big day. See you soon with recovery news.
 
I'm happy to report that less than 12 hours out- I'm on the bionic side!! Ive already been up to walk! Pain is managable. Having a hard time sleeping. But All is good here. More later. :)
 
Wonderful. Great to hear from you already. Sleeping is an issue for a while for many of us so perfectly normal. Keep up with the pain meds and plenty of rest.
 
congratulations! you did it and are already feeling the relief.. :loveshwr:
 
Welcome to the other side! Sleep in a hospital is impossible - so noisy! If you have earphones and music it does help.

I'm looking forward to following your recovery!
 
Congratulations, and welcome to the bionic side! All the mantras are helpful. Sleep is difficult at first, but knowing that is to be expected made it less stressful for me. I knew if I needed to doze off during the day to make up for lack of good night time sleep that it was totally acceptable. You will get back to sleeping well.. and walking well, etc. The moderators and people on this forum have a world of wisdom with what we've been through.. very valuable!
Visited Columbus, OH two years ago and loved your town!
 
Thanks to all! I'm heading home two days in. Finally got sleep last night pain ia managable and happyto be going home. Very happy to be on this side finally. :) appreciate all the support!!
 
@Kat62 Wow! Sounds like your Valentine' date with your surgeon went very well.!That's wonderful! Hope I get to go home tomorrow at the two day mark. Sounds like your surgery went very well and making good progress. Best of luck to you.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well done @Kat62! Was looking forward to hearing how it went as we had ours done on the same day!



Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jen- howare you doing?
Just taking a minute to check in. Doing great on the 3rd day out. PT wore me out today but i can make it up and down steps now. They took off my dressing and no leakage so i can shower tomorrow!! Cant wait!!!! Still hurts about an hout out before pain meds but bearable....way ahead of where I thought I'd be. Hope everyones doing as well!
 
Glad to hear all is great for you!
I can't see my wound for another week as I have one of those waterproof dressings which you have to keep on. Getting impatient to see what it looks like under there [emoji23] probably not very pretty!!!!

It's a great feeling that things are better than you expected... me too!

Keep the updates coming and take care!


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jen- how are you doing?? I think about you often.
My update at 5 days out- walking around the house alot. Able to get myself small things I can reach. Able to do stairs but not alone. Pain is completely ubder control with the percosets but I hate the way they make me feel. Nauseous and groggy for about an hour. But they cut the pain completely. Cant believe how good i actually feel. Feeling blessed and lucky and pretty emotional which is odd for me. But physically great!
 
Great news Kat! Your update is pretty much as me. So lovely to hear you so positive about your recovery!
I am just making the most of keeping my feet up and relaxing right now, but may try a little walk outside in the next couple of days (probably just down the driveway!) [emoji15]
Take care!


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I haven't updated in a while- because things have happened so fast. But life is glorious for me. Here I am, 3 1/2 weeks out and I can now walk without support - no cane! I've been mostly off my pain meds for nearly a week(I usually have to take one in the evenings when I still ache) And I can also drive. And Monday - 3 weeks 6 days in, I will be returning to work in the office. (i've been working from home since the 2nd week ) My surgery and recovery have gone off without a hitch. The biggest pain I have now is the nerve pain in my "good" leg that I'm told is from the spinal and will go away. Still religiously doing my PT. And I'm just hear to tell you that I am proof that a fat girl with a regular full THR can successfully get through this. Great surgeon, great care, and a great attitude were all essential parts to the success. Just had to share - hoping that this helps someone out there that is on the other side and worried, or trying to decide. DO it! It is the best thing I've done for myself ever.
Jen - Not sure you are still watching, but I really hope that things have gone as well for you!!!
 
Wow! Congratulations my 'hip twin'! Really chuffed to bits for you and your progress!!! Fantastic to hear you are doing so well!
[emoji16]

I'm on a slower recovery path (only in walking terms) as I am on 2 crutches for 6 weeks, however all is good here also and everything is on track for the approach/restrictions I have.

May your recovery continue to be great, and the transition into work be good for you!

Absolutely agree with positive attitude being sooooo important!

Take care x


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom