Bilateral THR Bilateral

Hi I am 6 weeks post op for bilateral hip op. Does anyone know when you are able to sleep on your side. All the answers only relate to one side being replaced. Thanks

Hi Cadaval.
I'm recently returned from Praia d'Oura (wonderful time).
Good question.
Difficult to say really. I didn't try until around 8/10 weeks.
If you have restrictions imposed by your surgeon you should wait until they are lifted.
That said I used to put a pillow or cushion between my legs and roll on to my better side (I'm sure you have a preferred side also). I found this uncomfortable for some time but it got gradually easier.
Side sleeping takes a bit of time to get comfortable but it will come. Even after more than a year I find myself still going for the cushion sometimes as a sort of comfort.
How are you getting on otherwise ?
Joe........

Who knows! It's such an individual thing. Some people can do it after a couple of weeks and many can do it starting at 6 weeks or a couple of months in. I had a restriction of 6 weeks before trying, but have never been able to sleep on the surgical side for longer than an hour or two, and it's been 23 months since THR and 8 months since gluteal tendon repair on that that same leg. Check with your surgeon to see if he has any restrictions for you. And when you are allowed to try, you'll know if you can or cannot! And keep on trying on both sides, since things take a long time to fully heal. Both of your legs had replacements, and one side may be easier to sleep on than the other.

Hi thanks for the replies. I am getting on fine much better than I expected. Not using anything to walk with but do take stuck when going out just in case! . Off to UK end of June so long drive to Santander have to have lots of stops, we are taking caravan back for couple of mont
hs so will stop for nights on way there.
Irish Joe glad you enjoyed your time away it has been gorgeous here 3 days of rain since March don't think farmers are very happy though.

Hi just an update on progress. Had bilateral hips replaced on 30th May 2017 in Portugal. 3 months on I have my life back. I am walking with no sticks can walk as much as I need to with no limp, it's fantastic first week was a bit traumatic but now it's fantastic can't believe all that pain has gone.

great update.jpg
moved 5.jpg
@Cadaval, so pleased for you that your recovery continues to get better and better!

Also, I have moved your update into your original recovery thread. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you have questions or concerns that need an immediate answer, please tag an admin, a mod, or other members or all three.

If you are having a problem locating your thread, here is a link with how to do it: How can I find my threads and posts?

Hi @Cadaval
I am right behind you about a month I had my surgery, bilateral, on July 6 of this year, so glad to hear you are doing so well, I have had an excellent recovery myself. I will be a month this Thursday I have not used any aids since about a week after I get home. I was wondering about you you have not been on much, so glad your life is back and busy and you don't have to think about your hips anymore keep up the good work!
Gail

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Hi everyone just an update on my surgery. 8 months had bilatral hip replacement. Everything is fantastic back to normal except for a few extra pounds gained as have not been as active as used to be but small thing considering everything else is great.

Hi @Cadaval
Wonderful to read....good for you!
Hopefully it continues to get better and better
A great 2018 to you!

Wonderful to hear the update @Cadaval. I really respect you bilaterals.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom