Bilateral TKR Bilateral TKR - it does get better

@Scouser - I note you are from Oz. I am from Sydney. I had my bilateral TKR May 12 2020 so am 12 months ahead of you. My surgeon would have been horrified at me doing anywhere near what you have been doing. I had no real Physio while on the ward or in rehab ( private hospital) only stretching exercises. On discharge other patients knew they would being going on to the Physio day program but my ortho didn’t allow it! I went home to continue the stretching exercises and go about what daily activities I could manage. The nurses at the hospital all commented that my specialist’s patients all achieved the same outcomes as others without painful Physio. I elevated the knees often, iced them while ever they were elevated, increased my walking a little each day.

The advisers on here know more than I do but I still had pain at 11 weeks and my surgeon and GP assured me that was normal. I was still actually taking the occasional Tramadol.I have said this to several people on here. Be kind to yourself. Give your knees a chance to heal. Try and consider what happened to them 11 weeks ago! If I do too much some days even now my knees can be a little stiff. Recovery is a marathon not a sprint. My knees are still improving 15 months after my op and I can tell you I have never once regretted having them done.

It will get better - hang in there!
 
On discharge other patients knew they would being going on to the Physio day program but my ortho didn’t allow it! I went home to continue the stretching exercises and go about what daily activities I could manage. The nurses at the hospital all commented that my specialist’s patients all achieved the same outcomes as others without painful Physio.
Proof that painful PT is not necessary for a good outcome! Thanks for sharing!
 
Thanks so much @Fran55! Your ongoing updates regarding Bilateral Recovery was exactly what I needed. There are so few of us among the many having one TKR. Even though I realize there are similarities, your journey was so reassuring to me. As of today, I am 8 weeks out and appreciate each small step. My body’s new realignment and gait surprised me- no more back pain or slight limp.
Physical therapists were only causing my knees more pain and swelling, and then admonishing me that my extension wasn’t 0 yet! So I follow the BoneSmart Way - gentle stretches, walking, and proper gait.
As so many of us have said, I do not regret having both knees done at the same time, especially with the help I have received here.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom