Bilateral THR Bilateral THR - Just got my op date & so many questions!

:wave:
In regard to preop exercises, think upper body.
Some light hand weights while watching the television (whilst laying on a heating pad trying to relieve my hip pain:unsure:) was how I kept my upper body strength built up and this was super helpful for being able to reposition myself and for getting up out of bed and recliner.
The good leg bad leg info was useless to me although one of mine emerged stronger after a bit so I did use this advice for stairs.
Those hips will be good...its the rest of the legs that were sore and weak...
The walker will be your best mode of transport for first weeks so, again, helps to have upper body strength.
Bonesmart was my lifeline in recovery...getting advice from those who have walked the walk (with the walker:heehee:) was my best resource.
 
Does anyone know of any websites or links to help me with pre and post BTHR physio please? I can’t find anything and I am starting to panic
 
@Orel Aquila
We have this article about pre-op exercises:
Exercises for pre-surgery patients
Don't do any exercises that cause you hip pain. It's the upper-body strength that you'll need most at first.

As for post-op, take particular note of the Big Tip (in green font) in the Recovery Guidelines I'm posting for you:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
​
rest​
ice​
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
​

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
​

6. Access these pages on the website
​


Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.
 
Does anyone know of any websites or links to help me with pre and post BTHR physio please?
Please read the guidelines Celle left for you. Hips don't need PT. Walking is the best exercise and then not to excess.

Pre-op having upper body strength is helpful. But many are in so much pain waiting they just don't want to move.
 
Does anyone know of any websites or links to help me with pre and post BTHR physio please?
Please read the guidelines Celle left for you. Hips don't need PT. Walking is the best exercise and then not to excess.

Pre-op having upper body strength is helpful. But many are in so much pain waiting they just don't want to move.
Hi Jaycey
I just had bilateral done on 1-22 anterior way .I went to pre class on hip surgery at hospital 3 weeks before and learned a lot there . It was a 2 hr course and they went over everything and exercises to perform to help with surgery.
 
Does anyone know of any websites or links to help me with pre and post BTHR physio please? I can’t find anything and I am starting to panic

Hello my name is Shawn. I just went through a bilateral hip replacement surgery date 1-22 -20 what is your surgery date set for ?
 
Hello All!
I'm Joanna, a 45 year old primary school teacher living in Cambridge, England.
I've gone from pain-free to this is less than 3 years, so I am pretty overwhelmed!
My op is going to be on 7th February and my pre-op in next week. I wondered how many people had an epidural for this operation? I can't imagine being 'awake' for 3-4 hours in major surgery like this. My surgeon recommended this as I'm relatively young, but I am quite worried about it, even things like the noise of bone surgery?!
I am new to this forum and I am spending some time trawling the threads and reading about your experiences.
I'm looking forward to chatting to you all!
Jo xx

Hi Jo You will be fine trust me . I’m 53 and had both replaced on 1-22-20 anterior . I did not have epidural but general anesthesia and did not wake up till In recovery. Was up walking 6 hrs later a few steps hard to remember.The first couple days are tough but the ice and every 3 hrs pain killer you’ll be fine . It’s easier to stay in recliner in your room than sitting in bed trust me.
 
Good luck on the 7th and keep us posted!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
All the best to you tomorrow!
Will look forward to following your journey from the healing side once you're settled, resting comfortably and ready to share your progress.
Wishing you comfort as you wait.
@Orel Aquila
 
Sending Good Vibes your way.
See you on the Healing Side....:friends:
 
Best wishes for a successful surgery and a pain controlled recovery.
 
@Orel Aquila is on deck! You are almost finished that that hip pain and waiting,,waiting.
See you on the recovery side!
 
:hi: Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re doing well. We’d love to read an update on your progress if you’d share one on the Recovery side. Please consider it...
Wishing you all the best as you continue healing. :)
@Orel Aquila
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
We‘d love to hear how you’re doing if you have time to update. Hope to hear from you soon.
Wishing you all the best!
@Orel Aquila
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom