Bilateral THR - eight months post op and still in PAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

kheiden

Hi all, I had my left hip replaced February 14, 2008 and then my right hip replaced april 2, 2008. I am a 49 yearold female. My problem and question is that my left hip (the one done first) is still very sore. My right one is doing very well. But the left one is very sore, especially when climbing stairs, getting up from a chair and is actually waking me at night. I am not sure if this is normal or not. Another thing that I was wondering is if my thyroid problems would have anything to do with it at all? I have been having trouble with my dosage for the past three months, seems I have gone very hypo and have had to adjust my meds. Just about have them right, now. But, I do know that a hypothyroid can produce joint problems. Just a thought! Other than that, is it normal to be still experiencing pain. I did have a much harder recovery with the left hip than the right. So, hopefully someone out there may have some input for me. Hopefully I made sense to you guys, ha ha. Thanks

kheiden, you don't actually described the nature of the pain and where it occurs - that would help. For the possibilty is that you have a ligament or muscle that is inflamed or in spasm. So far as I am aware, thyroid deficiency wouldn't effect this.

So, some more detail and we'll know more what to advise.

Ok, it is just like when you would overwork your muscles. A aching sensation. Also, when getting up from a sitting position or going up stairs it just plain hurts like in the hip area, sometimes by my knee, whenever pressure is put on it. But when sitting it is the achiness. Sometimes, if I move around it gets a little better. The discomfort is in the hip area and buttock. Sorry about the vague description, it is really hard to explain.
When I stand or go upstairs, it feels really stiff also. Hope this helps, as it is really not pain, but more achiness. Thanks much.

Hi
I am 5 months post right hip. I remember those feelings early on in the recovery. Now I think I have occasional irritation of the ITB band. I thinkk it goes from the hip area to the outside of the knee and beyond.
The discomfort in the buttock area comes and goes , but only lasts a short time (like 15 minutes or less) It did go away for about a month, then came back.
None of this for me is anything to complain about, just fleeting aches.

Have you told your surgeon ? Have you had the pains since the replacement?
Hope you get it figured out.
Judy

Took the words right out of my mouth, Judy!

Actually, I have not told my surgeon as of yet. I figured I would check here and try to wait it out a bit before pestering him. Especially if it is something of the normal. But, I am going to go ahead and call him today. Thanks much for your help.

kheiden,

Call your surgeon! That is NOT pestering him!

While you may find that stiffness/aching when you get up from sitting is normal and can last for a pretty long time ( I still get it after 3.5 yrs), much of the other pain you are describe does not sound normal.

Let us know what you find out.

Andrea

Kheiden
I forgot to mention that I have hypopituitarism. Since the pituitary is the master gland, I have deficiencies and fluctuations in lots of important hormones. Also hypothyroidism caused by the hypopit. I personally don't think the thyroid has too much effect, if any on my joint issues.
My wacked out cortisol and low growth hormone levels are the culprits in joint degeneration, but these issues are not too common.
A few years ago before getting treatment for the growth hormone, I got so weak, I could not open my gas cap one day.

Anyway Call your surgeon!!!!!

Jo, I have learned it all from you!!!

Judy

I am sorry you are also having problems. I had my right THR on Feb. 11 and am still having a lot of problems with pain in that leg. OS "thinks" I have IT Band Syndrome....and I do have many of your symptoms. I am starting another round of PT trying to stretch that band....if this doesn't help, he "wants" to go back in and stretch the muscle. He has only done this once, so I think I will avoid this if at all possible. Do you have a LLD? My leg is about 1" longer on that side and is causing back and knee problems also. My PT thinks I also have scar tissue below my incision area...but I have problems below my knee on the outside of my leg, as well as the soreness in the muscle under my incision, running down the outer side of the leg.

Keep in touch, I'll be glad to know what you find out about your hip....'cause we had them done the same time and we should be all better by now.

Phoggie

Well thanks for your input Phoggie. I certainly wish you well. No, my legs are exactly the same length. Actually, yesterday and today I am experiencing considerable less aches and pains?? Kinda like when you take your kids to the er with a high temp, but once arriving, they are fine!! Not sure what the case is, but I think I will wait a while before going back to the Dr. Maybe I just take a little longer than normal to heal??? I am pretty active and have been all along, maybe just doing too much. Who knows. My thyroid medication has been raised so am feeling better there. I know that I was told here that that probably does not have anything to do with the aching, but who knows, hey? I hope all goes well for you. I will keep you posted and you do the same, ok.

Just a quick update. I went to see my surgeon yesterday and after an xray and mri, he assured me that my hips are great. He did tell me that my thyroid going into hypo state after meds being lowered, absolutely could have been causing the pain and discomfort. He stated that the thyroid affects your entire body and especially your joints. I have had my synthroid increased a few weeks ago and am already feeling better. So we will see. Best of luck to all of you and thanks so much for your input and help.

kheiden
Glad to hear you are doing better. Funny thing, I just had to increase my thyroid meds too. I can't wait to see if my muscle aches improve!!!
Judy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom