Bilateral THR BILATERAL HIP REPLACEMENT SURGERY

Regarding getting into bed, I was given this in hospital. I don’t know if it’s widely available or recommended. I found it useful in hospital but since getting home I have used the shuffle method described above and I can now get into bed (and out of) without much difficulty or shuffling.
[Bonesmart.org] BILATERAL HIP REPLACEMENT SURGERY
 
Last edited:
Thank you for your response. My surgery will be done out-patient. My surgeon says I will stay in hospital overnight to monitor me. I guess I am anxious to get my life back again as my surgery has been cancelled x3...I switched surgeons as well. I suppose I won't know about the pain until after. I don't have any crutches. The surgeon ordered a walker for me. I have a cane also. I don't know if I need a raised toilet seat. The 1st surgeon said it wouldn't be needed, but ordered a commode chair. I am scheduled for bilateral simultaneous anterior approach hip replacement. The surgeon will start with my right hip. He says if there's more blood loss than what he is comfortable with, he will do 1 hip only. Then I would return 3+ months later for the second. He says 3 hour surgery for bilateral. I am hoping for nerve block with sedation, but my daughter says be prepared for anesthesia to recommend general with intubation...that really scares me! I am in such pain now with both hips shot & back pain from bulging discs that goes down both legs...I have no life quality. I just have to do it with whatever comes. I do appreciate all the support!
 
Use you smoothest bedding and nightwear. If you still can’t slide in bed add a plastic garbage bag to aid the slide. Get some very baggy boxer type panties to cover your incisions. Hang bags from your walker to carry stuff and use an insulated mug with tight lid for carrying hot and cold drinks. Pain is manageable and gets better day by day. (Two hips done since Jan, 30).
 
@Shoppingdiane03 You probably will get nerve blocks in each leg - that seems to be quite the common practice with hip replacements. I had those and they do work well --- for about 24 hours then they wear off. The first time you stand up after this surgery is going to be a revelation! That awful bone-on-bone pain will be gone. As I said before yes there will be some pain (after the nerve blocks wear off) but that will be easily managed with pain medication and icing.

As for the anesthesia you will meet with the anesthesiologist at the hospital prior to the surgery and he/she will go over the plan for you. IF you have had any experience with anesthesia or have any anxiety about it, do speak up. I think, with BTHR, the usual thing is for general anesthesia -- that is what I had for mine. And personally that is what I prefer - just sleep through the whole thing and wake up with new hips. Plus I think with general it is easier for surgeon and nurses to get one in the proper position and do what they need to do. Please don't worry! Everyone you meet at the hospital is a professional and they do these surgeries practically every working day. Their top priority is your well being!!

Has your surgeon mentioned that you will have hip precautions after the surgery? These include things like not bending at the waist more than about 90 degrees, not crossing your legs, etc. Some surgeons require these and others do not. They are only temporary - for about 6-8 weeks. IF your surgeon has said these are required then you might need the raised toilet seat. I am quite short and did need one so I did not break the hip precautions my surgeon imposed. But if you can use the toilet now without bending too much you may not need one.

Anticipating any surgery is nervous making! A totally normal part of this journey. The day before your surgery go over to the recovery area here and start your recovery thread ... then it will be there waiting for you (and the rest of us to cheer you on). Hang on to your sense of humor and find any and all opportunities to grin or even LOL. Mine came pre op as nurse was getting me prepped. She approached me with a marker pen and asked "Which hip are we replacing today?" It is standard practice for them to mark which body part is being worked on for any surgery. The look on her face was priceless when I said "Both of them". She had to go look at my chart and with a rather chagrined look put the marker pen back into her pocket.
 
Hang on to your sense of humor and find any and all opportunities to grin or even LOL. Mine came pre op as nurse was getting me prepped. She approached me with a marker pen and asked "Which hip are we replacing today?" It is standard practice for them to mark which body part is being worked on for any surgery. The look on her face was priceless when I said "Both of them". She had to go look at my chart and with a rather chagrined look put the marker pen back into her pocket.
The same thing happened to me. When I said both, she gave me a quizzical look, checked my chart and marked up both with arrows :)
 
Raised toilet seat is a good idea. You won’t think “gosh I’m glad I DON’T have one”.

The hardest part is probably going to be about day 3 (after the adrenalin and anesthesia wear off) up to the 2-3 week mark. Persist through that rough patch of walkers and bad sleep and swelling and hopefully it’s uphill from there.
 
Best Wishes tomorrow!
Please join us on the healing side once you're resting comfortably and feeling up to it.
We will have some Recovery Guidelines to share and would love to support you on your healing journey.
Hope to see you there soon!
@Shoppingdiane03
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom