Guest viewing is limited

Bilat - second thoughts?

That sounds unusually short for a bilateral. In the US, most people seem to go to a rehab unit for a while before going home. Can you ask your surgeon what his/her policy is?
 
When I brought it up my OS said that they find that patients with a good support system do better recovering at home. I will still have to meet all the requirements to go be discharged. (Ability to stand, walk with a walker, do stairs etc.)
 
I was in the hospital for two days, then went to a rehab hospital for a week. In my case, one factor that tilted my OS toward rehab was knowing I had a 94 year old dementia FIL at home who needed to be taken care of. He wanted me to start my recovery by me focusing only on me, not split time with a senior. As others say, circumstances weigh into these decisions. I could have gone straight home otherwise.
 
My OS told me to plan to be in the hospital 2-3 nights becore going home. I had pain issues and the dose of meds they gave me made me too dizzy to walk so tbey kept me the 3rd night before sending me home.
 
I was in Hospital for a total of 2 weeks, 3 days in the ward and the rest in rehab. It was my choice but glad I did because it took a bit to sort out adequate pain control. It was also nice to be reassured that everything was normal. We don't have home nurses for tkr over here. I was also a bit teary so it was nice to have a good old cry without my family having to stress.
I too hated the cpm machine and refused it after the first three days.
 
I'll be in from 4-6 days. PT starts as soon as I get home. Glad to have the Bonesmarties on my team.
Now, off to do some more stuff while I have knees that can go up a ladder (with hip swings).
How much does a ROM measurement device cause ?
 
Not sure you need a ROM measuring device. Even my OS just eyeballs ROM. PT generally will have one because they need to quantify things. Just think of a right angle; if your knee bends to look like one, you're around 90. If a wider angle, less... and a skinnier angle is a greater number. If you want a ROM measuring device, I doubt they cost much. I saw one on Amazon for $10 US.
 
When I was in the hospital, they hooked me up on a cpm, they made the machine as short as it would adjust. I had it on for 30 painful minutes... It appears my short legs don't work on the machine. I had horrid hip pain while using it and after! I can see where it could be helpful, but not for me!
 
That sounds unusually short for a bilateral. In the US, most people seem to go to a rehab unit for a while before going home. Can you ask your surgeon what his/her policy is?
@Celle Were you responding to me regarding the stay in the hospital? I have a good setup at home, hospital bed, toilet and shower downstairs and three capable young adults (18,20 and 21) - two daughters and a son who are full-time available since school is out.
 
Another bilat question - is there anyone out there with experience driving a manual transmission after surgery ? When were you able to drive ?
 
Yes, @nensi , I was responding to you. With a bilateral, it can take a while longer before you can perform your activities of daily living. They tend to not want you to go home until you can get out of bed and back in, walk using your walking aid, and negotiate stairs.

However, if you're going to have plenty of help at home - and it sounds as if you are - they may be more relaxed about it.
Just don't come out of hospital until you are on a regular regime of medication that controls your pain well.

About driving: I only had one knee done at a time, but I do drive a manual car. The problem is that you have to be able to move both feet fast and accurately from pedal to pedal. You also need enough strength in both knees to be able to depress the clutch and brake together, to do an emergency stop (can't risk getting that wrong!).

You also have to be clear-headed and off the heavy-duty pain medications during the day - don't risk driving under the influence.

I think it was about 6-7 weeks before I started driving again. A week or so before that, I would practice getting into the car and moving my feet from pedal to pedal, with the engine turned off. When I thought I could do that OK, I had a practice drive down our long driveway, before hitting the roads.
 
@Celle, could you direct me to a post which summaries meds for the first weeks ? I see all kinds of references in people's posts and the names are not familiar. Then again, the European/Belgium have different names for same active ingredient. The pre-op information session my OS requires did not go into the details of pain meds, just stressed taking meds on a schedule - and staying ahead of the pain.
 
There isn't really any article which summarises the medications, because every surgeon has his/her own protocols.
There are several drugs that can be tried, if the first regime isn't right for you.

I use this web site if I want to look up any drugs.
https://www.drugs.com/
 
Hi Nensi, I too am scared as hell for my one TKR. I met a guy at my weight watchers meeting whose doctor is planning to do bilateral knees and hips on him on the same day! I asked him, "who in the world would do such a thing?" I'd never heard of it. He says his joints are all so bad that the doctor figures get it done in one shebang! Now that's INTENSE! Not to minimize what you are about to get done in less than one week, though. You are heading into somewhat unchartered ground, and of course it's scary. I say, if you trust your doctor and medical team, have faith that it will work out. You have a post-op plan and people to car for you. I'll. be thinking good thoughts for you on The 30th.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Ruby9297 hey there ! When was your surgery date again ?
Ya know, one of my personal mantras is "everything is relative" and your WW buddy's surgery story just put things in perspective. That really sounds extreme ! Comfort is coming to me in small steps and from many sources. @SusieShoes pointed out that just as I have one good/bad knee and one bad knee now, that after surgery I will also have one knee that is stronger. Somehow that never occurred to me, it's not very logical but I guess I thought they would be equal.
Thanks for the encouraging words - they work !
 
I'll be there @nensi! By the way, your English is superb. I wish I could say that about my French!:snork:
 
And I'll be waiting here, too, waving in welcome. It's really nice here in recovery. :loveshwr:
 
I met a guy at my weight watchers meeting whose doctor is planning to do bilateral knees and hips on him on the same day! I asked him, "who in the world would do such a thing?" I'd never heard of it. He says his joints are all so bad that the doctor figures get it done in one shebang! Now that's INTENSE!
Ruby, that's a pretty wild story. If this guy has a surgeon who really would do such a thing, he should steer clear of him! This is really major surgery and it truly traumatizes your body. Having a hip replaced (not to mention TWO) at the same time is not done because trying to recover both at the same time does not work well. No surgeon in his right mind would replace two knees and two hips in one procedure. This is not like doing a marathon cleaning session on your house (let's just get the "whole shebang" done in one fell swoop and be done with it!). Sorry, but I think this guy was putting you on.
 
Best wishes for a good surgery and we will all be here waiting on the other side! Read the reading material now to be ready. Also make sure you have good healthy snacks bought before surgery. Surgery and anesthesia generally takes your appetite and makes you nauseated as well. It's important to have good protein snacks when you don't feel like eating anything else. Get your recovery area all set up so you don't have to do it when you get home.

I can laugh about it now but before my first surgery we had a terrible storm come through. It brought a huge tree down partly on our house. There were electrical lines down everywhere and they made us leave our house. I didn't get to do all those last minute things because we had to go to a hotel. It's funny now but wasn't that day! Read all you can to be prepared.:welome:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom