Bi-lateral Knee replacement v Single knee

Atlas@travel

Country
Australia Australia
Good Morning,
I have some big decisions ahead. Knee surgery due in March. I would love to here from anyone who has had the both done together. Im a candidate for both but have need very much to here how others have coped. Im swaying towards having them done together but am unsure whether I am mentally / physically up for the challenge.
Thank you in advance, I found this site on line, looking for information so to here how others have gone would be fantastic.

There are quite a few of us here. If you go up to the white area above, press SEARCH FORUMS. Then type in KEYWORDS “Bilateral TKR”. Lots of stories and advice. Personally, I am so glad I did this. A little more involved, but only one recovery. I am now over 5 months post surgery, and doing well. I’m sure others will chime in. Welcome!

I've never had a bi-lateral, but if I had needed both knees done, my personal choice would have been to do them both at once. It's one surgery, one hospital stay and one recovery. I understand that two at once has different challenges, but IMHO, having to go through all the testing, surgery, recovery and related stuff only once would be much more preferable to me than to have to do it twice.

I'm thinking the mental challenge aspect might be easier overall as you only have to go through all the pre-op dread once, but the physical side might be more challenging. It all depends on whether or not you want to go through this all at once and be done, or go through it once, then do it all over again.

This recovery takes, on average, a full year, although many people feel much better at around three months. But your full recovery will take approx. a year, so the question you have to ask yourself is if you'd rather be one and done, or go through it all over again after the first round.

Hi, Goodness how lovely to see a couple of replies and an area that is to do with both being done together. Yes new to this site which I think will be very helpful in my decision making.
So thank you both for replying.

Here is a list of members who have had bilateral knee replacements. Read through some of them to get an idea about their experience.

You mentioned on another thread that you recently had a high knee osteotomy. Can you give us dates and procedures that your knee has had? We’ll make a signature for you. Knowing your history helps us advise you in the future.

I would love to here from anyone who has had the both done together.
:wave:

BILATERAL TKR Recovery Diary

I am 100% for BTKR. One surgery, one recovery; not marking time for weeks or even months until no.2 and full recovery actually starting.

However, the challenges in the first month are (or were for me, anyway) significant. For instance, I had great trouble moving from bed to bathroom, about 10 feet, for the first few days.

My advice is to stay in hospital/rehab as long as possible. It's hugely boring but you have 24/7 support. I was there some days, and came home too early to become a hardship on my wife.

You don't say what support you have at home. Perhaps you could let us know?

Tomorrow will be my 2 month anniversary of having my BTKR and this is obviously just my opinion but I honestly would not want to do each knee individually. BTKR is no joke and no means has my recovery been an easy journey but, by week two of my recovery my wife went back to working at the office and I was pretty much self sufficient throughout the day on my own. Some things like getting up from a seated position, standing for longer than 5 minutes and doing stairs are all going to be more difficult with both knees done at the same time as you literally do not have a good leg to stand on (no pun intended lol) but it's one surgery and one recovery. At 2 months I can say I am doing everything around the house (cooking, cleaning, raking the leaves etc) but, I just need to remember to pace myself so I do not over do it and set myself back in recovery.
BTKR surgery is not popular with the surgeons where I live so I had to travel quite a distance to have it done, something which added increased stress, anxiety and discomfort on the travel home but, I would not do it any other way.
Good luck and welcome to the forum. This site had given me so much information pre/post surgery and I am glad you found it. Take care and best of luck in your decision moving forward.

Last edited:
I had a bilateral knee replacement on July 22 2021 at St. Vincent’s Private in Sydney. I’m 68. I was in hospital 5 nights (we seem to be able to stay in hospital longer here) and then 2 weeks in rehab. I would definitely agree that you should go to inpatient rehab if possible. I was still pretty bad when I finally came home. We were in COVID lockdown then so mentally I felt I wasn’t missing out on anything. My husband was a wonderful support so I have had it pretty easy compared to others whose stories I’ve read here. At nearly 4 months I don’t really have any pain-have been off all pain meds since about 12 weeks. I think I’m walking well-not really quickly but getting there. Still a bit stiff if I get up after sitting for some time. I am definitely happy that I had the bilateral TKR. As others have said-one operation, one period of rehab, one recovery. Read all the articles that the moderators provide. Don’t push yourself. Have support from others who understand the extent of this recovery. And I think a bilateral TKR is the best decision.

Hi Jockette,( Moderator.)
I had a knee osteotomy back in May 2010. It was called a high tibia knee osteotomy where they put in six screws and a titanium plate after removing a wedge of bone from my tibia.
On October 20th 2021 I had the plate and screws removed in anticipation of a TKR next year in March.
This surgery became a little more difficult for the surgeon as when he opened my leg he found that only 40% had healed and two of the six screws had busted, requiring bone grafts to be inserted.
I am now 4 weeks post op and doing reasonable well. Slow and steady but getting there.

I am now 4 weeks post op and doing reasonable well.
I’m glad you’re coming along well after this latest surgery.

Thanks for your surgery dates, we’ll get them into a signature for you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Memi58
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom