PKR Best sock assist device?

Have a good doctor's visit tomorrow.
 
Visit went well. Range of motion Exactly where two other knees done the same day were and they did not have the oozing complication and had regular PT where mine had to be halted. So I felt better/ darn it why do I see it as something I want to get over with ASAP instead of concentrating on my knee and myself??? Why did an even competition seem anticlimatic?

any way one of the computer guide point pin incision stitches is still oozing so still off for another week...but stitches are out and very light draining ooze tonight - hate Eliquis but a necessary evil that ends tomorrow!
 
Restarting PT or at least Eval tomorrow. Been able to add time between narcotics. Almost straight and flex to 90 all helps to feel human again 19 days post op.
 
Graduated from walker to cane yesterday. Slowly life is returning to normal but still needing Oxy a bit during the day and especially at night. Therapist says I’m icing too long at a time - more than 20 mins can be counter productive as fluid is moved to counter the cold? But so far pleased with my progress
 
Therapist says I’m icing too long at a time - more than 20 mins can be counter-productive as fluid is moved to counter the cold?
I disagree. 20 minutes of icing does little to reduce pain and swelling. You can ice as long as you want to as long as you have a thin cloth between you and the ice pack. I iced for hours at a time. The whole time I was sitting or laying down, for the first couple of months, I iced. This reduced the pain and swelling and lowered my need for prescription pain meds.
 
Icing for no more than 20 minutes is more for a somewhat minor injury.

The length of time you can ice is different in this post surgical situation, especially one that caused the extent of trauma to the whole leg during a joint replacement.

As is often the case, there are many different opinions on all aspects of this recovery. We’ve even had a couple of members who’s surgeons told them not to ice at all.

Since there are so many conflicting opinions, do what you feel works best for you.
 
I noticed the same attitude with my PT. He made a statement that Ice only has benefits 1/8" below the skin surface. I did not argue, no point. Maybe some of it is job security. If we start Icing and rehabbing on our own. They will be out of a job.......
 
He made a statement that Ice only has benefits 1/8" below the skin surface.
Boy, is that wrong. Two winters ago we got snow and -13 degrees. I had never been in such cold weather before, but my walkway had to be shoveled so I could get to the outdoor wood stove. I was out only about an hour and my new knee started to ache like crazy. It took hours for it to calm down. That cold had penetrated all the way to the implant and it hurt! So, icing does reach further than 1/8". I'm living proof!
 
Reduced the icing some - stopped sleeping with the iceman running but still iced for up to 50 mins often during the day and night. Off narcotics for full 24 hours this weekend-after walking a mile with the border collie. Slept better than I have in weeks!Did take one for PT today. Feeling human again!
 
Good progress! I wasn't walking a mile at your point in recovery--but it sounds like you are listening to the knee. It will tell you what's what. :) I tended to do a last icing session right before bed after I gave up the ice machine..
 
So I felt great until PT decided my pelvis was tilted - duh yeah I have been overusing the opposite side as the surgery - so they changed up my pt adding a lot of “action” movement and the knee has been on the warpath for the past 48 hours. They have corrected the change up but I’m not sure that their good intentions haven’t set me back more than a week - time will tell. Also talked to PA at surgeons office and changing up the narcotic today...
 
@Wwjmaj , It's your knee and you have the right to say how much, and what sort of exercise you will do.
Since your knee obviously did not like the new exercises, it wasn't yet ready to do them - so don't.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

It's only just over a month since you had this major surgery and complete recovery takes a full year. That means you still have 11 months for everything to improve. There's no need to rush. Very often, things like over-using the opposite side will sort themselves out naturally, as your knee heals and starts to take more of the load again.
 
Back on track - walked a mile Thursday, 1.5 miles Saturday and 2.3 miles Sunday with my Border Collie. Changed up the OxyContin for Narco on Thursday and PT Assessment today has me within one degree of straight, Bending 18 degrees past 90! Sleeping MUCH better And Much more comfortable even after PT today!
 
You're doing fine now, @Wwjmaj , but beware of increasing your activity too quickly. That was a pretty big jump from 1.5 miles to 2.3 miles in four days. Best to only increase it one jump once or twice a week.

I'm glad the change in pain medications has helped with comfort and sleeping.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
Back
Top Bottom