TKR Back on the road

Oh my gosh! I'm so glad you weren't hurt in the accident. All that excitement and adrenaline meant your knee was far down the list of things your brain was processing, but that will catch up with you. More icing and elevating for you tonight! And maybe tomorrow. You had quite a day.

Seven weeks really is early to go back to work, so do take it easy when you can. I suppose you can't promise not to repeat today's excitement, :beg: but if you need to take a day off, or work half days, do what you can to baby your knee as needed.

I'm probably too late with the dinner suggestions, but second Karrie's idea for take out!
 
Thank you KarriB and SusieShoes. I have made an easy chilli which is simmering away waiting for my husband to come home, and I am iced, elevated and on the sofa with a restorative gin and tonic. I'm not too worried about work as I can pace myself and also work from home if I need to. Fortunately I work for a company that cares for its employees.
 
Whoopee have just been to my lovely physio and she has signed me off, so that's me officially no longer under the care of any professionals for this new knee. Gait and balance all OK and she says the bend is already good and will continue to improve as my leg carries on healing. I am very happy.
I should add that I only had three physio appointments altogether and they were more of a chat than a work out.
 
Last edited:
Sounds like you had a good one! I like that she said “as your knee continues to heal”. Some think if they’re released it means they’re healed, but it takes months up to a year for full healing to take place. Listen to your knee is my best advice.
 
Thank God you weren't in the way of those cars! And you were a big help this morning. Now, you need to help your knee this weekend and not do anything but baby it!
 
Dear All
Tomorrow marks 8 weeks since my RTKR. I am one of the fortunate ones as I have healed fairly quickly. I have been back at work a week and all well. I still get some minor aching and slight swelling if I overdo it which I take as my knee's gentle reminder to take things carefully but nothing too awful.

I am signing off from Bonesmart.org now but I would like to thank everyone for their support. I found the sharing of experience invaluable.

To my knee twin @funkymuse I wish you all the best and hope you heal soon. I also wish the rest of you finding things difficult a better recovery than you have been having so far.

Thanks also to the forum moderators especially SusieShoes, KarriB and Sisters. You provide an invaluable service to people who are going through a very difficult time.
 
We will miss you. Come back every so often and let us know how you are doing. You are an inspiration to others!
 
We will miss you, @Sammi2 , but it's really good to hear that you are picking up your normal life again. :santaclap:
That's the result we hope for, for everyone.
Best wishes! :santawave:
 
Sorry to see you go, but you have things to do, and a life to live. It’s been such a pleasure to get to know you in your recovery. Have a wonderful life with your new knee! :tree lights:
 
Happy to hear we were able to help you, Sammi2! Enjoy your new more active lifestyle! :wave:
 
I am just over five months post op. Until this week I would have said I was fully healed but have had two reminders that this healing process is a marathon not a sprint. I went for a spa weekend with my girlfriends last weekend and discovered I can no longer do the froggy leg when swimming breaststroke. That really upset me as I have never been comfortable with crawl as I can't bear to put my face into water. My leg just won't do the sideways kick.
Today we had an exercise bike in the office for Sport Relief and I realised that cycling is still really painful. This is the first time for about 3 months that I have felt like this. I can walk miles, go up and down stairs no problem but have had to accept that bike riding is out for the time being.
 
My surgeon told me to avoid the breast stroke kick, because it is very hard on a new knee. SusieShoes' surgeon told her to avoid it for at least a year post-op.

Can you do breast stroke arms and freestyle leg kick for while? That's what I do. Perhaps you could try the frog kick again after your knee has had longer to heal - maybe about a year post-op?
If you can swim like that, you will still be able to keep your face out of the water.

It's the same with the cycling. What you can't do now, you should be able to do in a few months' time.
 
Thank You @Celle that's how I ended up swimming although my head found it hard to compute. I will try cycling again in a few months time. On the plus side day to day life is absolutely fine and I can even wear high heels all day now which I couldn't have imagined doing five months ago.
 
It sounds as if you're doing very well. :yes!: :flwrysmile:
The things you find hard now will gradually become easier to do, as your knee continues to heal internally.
 
Wow! This has to be the most miraculous, inspiring thread I have read here on Bonesmart. No two knees are alike for sure! Maybe I’ll make myself a gin and tonic and relax the rest of the evening. I’m praying my next knee replacement could be just like this recovery story. I’m 6 months out and couldn’t imagine wearing high heels. Probably will never again hahaha! Cheers to you Sammi2 and please send Gods healing hands in my direction. You need to share!
 
Wow! This has to be the most miraculous, inspiring thread I have read here on Bonesmart. No two knees are alike for sure! Maybe I’ll make myself a gin and tonic and relax the rest of the evening. I’m praying my next knee replacement could be just like this recovery story. I’m 6 months out and couldn’t imagine wearing high heels. Probably will never again hahaha! Cheers to you Sammi2 and please send Gods healing hands in my direction. You need to share!

My most comfortable shoes are Algeria’s, a nurse shoe. style Keli. No pain & wear them all day.
 
My OS also said to hold off on the frog kick, saying it would put too much pressure on the knee. I stayed with freestyle and backstroke.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom