Hi Joe, It's nice to hear from you! It sounds like you're doing very well at three weeks post op.
Regarding the cane, we do advise using it until you're no longer limping.
Here’s a tip -
Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
I found myself limping also, but it did ease with time. Heel-toe walking helped me see that I could control the limp if I concentrated on my gait. For several months post op, I'd occasionally fall back into that old gait if I was tired. I wouldn't notice on my own, I was usually made aware by someone asking me if I was limping. It would catch me surprise.
If your incision is fully closed and looks good, I'd leave it alone. Follow any instructions you received on baths, pools, hot tubs or bodies of water. My OS was very strict and said they were all No-No's for three months post op.
Sometimes the skin around your incision becomes dry and itchy while healing. Although it is okay to put lotion or cream on the surrounding skin if it is uncomfortable, you should not apply anything close to or on the stitches or incision without the approval of your surgeon. It normally takes four to six weeks for the incision to fully heal and close. You don't want to risk infection by applying a product near an open area before that time. Some of the more common creams and lotions used on a healed incision are Bio-Oil, Vitamin E Oil, E45 Cream, Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion with Vitamin E, and Coconut Oil.
I hope you have a great day and week to come. Thanks for stopping by with an update. Stay in touch!
@Joe33426