TKR Apricotpie and his right TKR

Resting, icing and elevating your leg will reduce swelling, but you're not going to see instant results. It can take weeks - sometimes even months - before all your knee swelling goes down.

Don't overdo the dusting.
[Bonesmart.org] Apricotpie and his right TKR

Dust bunnies are your friend. They show you've been resting properly.

Your main job right now is to rest, ice and elevate, so your knee can heal. You only need a little, gentle exercise.
Did you check the amount of activity we recommend in this article?
Activity progression for TKRs
 
Don’t do any cleaning, my main exercise my first 2 weeks wash washing dishes, and washing up and changing my cloths. That’s it. Please take it slow, and keep up with your meds
 
Don’t do any cleaning, my main exercise my first 2 weeks wash washing dishes, and washing up and changing my cloths. That’s it. Please take it slow, and keep up with your meds

I’ve always liked my Roomba, now I like it more than ever. (-:

As far as discomfort goes, I’ll just have to learn how to deal with Spain over the next few weeks.

RTKR July 15, 2019
 
Last edited:
For a while elevating will moderate the swelling in your leg, but it doesn't reduce it much in my experience. On the other hand, not elevating makes mine much worse, even 3 weeks out.
 
I rarely elevated because didn't find it comfortable but often wonder if it would have made improvement faster if I had.
 
How long did people wear the thigh high compression socks? I find that mine restrict motion or so it seems.


RTKR July 15, 2019
 
Mine are knee-high. I still wear them every day because they make me feel more supported and reduce pain a bit.
 
So now I am attempting to balance pain meds versus doing the PT exercises. When pushing the knee to the point of discomfort (not pain) do people use their pain meds or let the unmedicated knee tell them the stopping point?


RTKR July 15, 2019
 
I was not given thigh compression socks this time. Last time I wore them a long time but this time the doctor said they don't help. The first 2 weeks I elevated a lot but I used the ice machine almost 24/7. The ice machine is the thing that brought the swelling down the most. I am elevating less now, partly because I was getting a compressed nerve in my heel from the position.
 
So now I am attempting to balance pain meds versus doing the PT exercises. When pushing the knee to the point of discomfort (not pain) do people use their pain meds or let the unmedicated knee tell them the stopping point?
It's best to just take your medications as they're due. Don't take them especially so you can get through PT If you do that, you could be masking the pain caused by exercises. Since pain is a warning sign you're doing more than your knee is ready to do, you don't want to miss it.
 
It's best to just take your medications as they're due. Don't take them especially so you can get through PT If you do that, you could be masking the pain caused by exercises. Since pain is a warning sign you're doing more than your knee is ready to do, you don't want to miss it.

That seems to make sense. I believe I can tolerate enough discomfort to get the knee healing.


RTKR July 15, 2019
 
Graduating from the walker to a cane?

I’ve been told that using a cane too much can distort my walking since people tend to lean on the cane. The walker, used properly, supports a normal walking gait.


RTKR July 15, 2019
 
Keep using the walker until you can use the cane without leaning on it.
 
I finally was able to walk with just my legs for balance and motion. It’s still a bit painful, and I will continue with the walker for safety reasons.

I can’t wait to lose the compression sock and the various bandages that make bending the knee all the harder todo n


RTKR July 15, 2019
 
I never had a compression stocking, and I would have ditched it the moment I got home if they had given me one. In the hospital they used a machine that gently squeezed my legs off and on until I was walking around more; other than that walking around as usual was all I needed. My OS suggested I use my walker for approx. three weeks, then transition to the cane for another three weeks or so. I did switch from the walker to the cane around three weeks, then used the cane for a while around the house until I found myself leaving it behind all the time. I used walls and counters in my house for balance if needed, but still used the cane when I went outside or went somewhere. I used it until I was steady on my feet and wasn't worried about getting bumped and knocked off balance, and wasn't noticeably limping.
 
In the scheme of things you're barely out of surgery. Here is my experience with pain meds. I found that if I took them regularly (stretching time between doses as the weeks went on, but not right away) I was not only more comfortable in terms of less pain, I felt less stiff. I also iced and elevated a lot. I used the walker for about 3 weeks before moving to the cane. That was something my PT was helpful with--helping make sure the height was correct and also deciding when I was ready for "graduation." :wink:
 
Yes, elevate and ice - I'm trying the same. Hard doing exercises when the knee looks like the sport (basketball)! :rotfl:

For ice, I just broke down and bought an ice machine on Amazon, as my husband and son kept complaining that they had to run to the freezer too much :groan:

Hang in there fellow July Sparkler!
 
Which one did you buy? I read in someone's post that frozen water bottles mixed with some water works far better than just ice. Stays cold much longer.
 
I picked up a used aircast device. No electric motor. Gravity feed. Simple and easy to use.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom