THR Anterior patients, I am questioning posterior pain. Dislocation?

The holiday season went well, except for the demise of half of the pulled pork onto the floor, which really made me miss my old roommate's dog as a cleanup crew.

I saw a show here at a concert hall on the 30th that functioned as my New Years Eve, and was happy that I managed the entire venue, a reasonable walk to a cocktail bar nearby, and being able to give my handicapped seat up to someone in worse shape so she and her husband could enjoy the show. Their seats were only three or four rows down, so no big deal.

My flexibility is returning a lot, but my referred pain still worries me. I really need to get into the gym while there's time.

I would say that most days I'm feeling capable of functioning without any pain meds, and boy does my stomach need a break, so I'm happy. I was supposed to go get an endoscopy to look at it, and a sleep study, but they couldn't get me in before the end of the year with my deductible met, so I'll be skipping those indefinitely. Can't afford it, but that's fine.

The only main negative right now is trying to find a new job. I haven't even gotten into the right mindset or energy level to set my house back up to pre-injury/surgery status, much less get back to being a Director of Marketing and managing multimillion dollar budgets across multiple companies with 10+ hour day demands. I've only ever had two panic attacks in my life, but yesterday felt like I was on the cusp of one while job hunting. My doctor won't really prescribe anything for anxiety to anyone, but I had a hydroxyzine on hand, which at least helped me get calmed down enough to sleep.

I'm still sleeping around 10-12 hours a day and know that when I get back to work, that's gone for good.

I'm still dealing with pain and warmth in the area, but generally I feel that's just my fault for never going back to the gym. Hoping it's not a bigger deal. My surgeon hasn't resurfaced in his new practice in Phoenix just yet, but I hope he does soon... I'd love to go get a checkup one more time.

Just a thought but could you get a one=year contract somewhere with less pressure than what you had been doing previously? By doing that you are keeping your work going and it might help you ease back into a more high pressure job later on.. I went down to a 4 day a week contract recently and have really benefitted. Although sometimes I find myself working the extra day regardless!

The warm pool therapy I am doing is helping as I also have some scar itching and stiffness 5 months out... But getting there..

Just a thought but could you get a one=year contract somewhere with less pressure than what you had been doing previously? By doing that you are keeping your work going and it might help you ease back into a more high pressure job later on.. I went down to a 4 day a week contract recently and have really benefitted. Although sometimes I find myself working the extra day regardless!

The warm pool therapy I am doing is helping as I also have some scar itching and stiffness 5 months out... But getting there..
It's something I'm actively seeking but doesn't particularly work well in my career field. Pre-pandemic I found a job at 25 hours a week but we constantly butted heads over whether or not I could become full time. I work in primarily digital media marketing, which is essentially running 24/7. It's bad enough to not have someone look after the campaigns for two days over the weekend, but four days in a row was really a mess.

Sort of like running a website, if something goes down for days in a row, you've lost a ton of revenue. Almost even worse, if you typo'd a number and added an extra zero, you can spend half of the month's budget before you get through tracking spend for all of the active campaigns by lunchtime or later on Monday.

And that's not even accounting for finicky clients who will call you at 4 PM on a Friday and tell you the month's budget needs to be cut in half, NOW.

It's a garbage career I wish I hadn't fallen into, lol.

Regarding the pool, seems like it would be a good idea, but I don't currently have a gym membership, and as far as I know, the only affordable nearby gym with a pool is only a 4 lane lap pool. But I'll admit that's a little bit of an excuse instead of a good reason. I think I'm just too lazy to go more than 2-3 miles to another gym. And a bit self conscious.

When the weather warms up I have my neighborhood pool and some other friends' pools but that's 3-4 months away.

@Solar7 what about changing your career entirely. Never to late!
I really don't know how. Every time you look at articles about changing careers, it seems like the pervading suggestion for something you can learn without going back to four years of college is what I already do... digital ad tech. Or coding.

At the end of the day I simply can't afford to go back to four years of school with no job, only to be in my 40s as an entry level employee making $40k, but now with loan debt. It seems pretty hopeless, not to mention there's nothing out there that I'm certain I'd enjoy more. I think at the end of the day I'm just not built to spend 40+ hours a week doing anything, lol.

Also just a check in with everyone to see if this is normal... yesterday I got stuck in line at the post office for a little over half an hour with no chairs. By about the 25 minute mark I was in enough pain (not severe but noticeable) to consider retreating back to the car even though I was near the end of the line. Of course, I'd forgotten to take or bring any OTC pain meds.

At almost 4 months now, is that normal? I've been trying to ignore pains here or there but this pain was coming from the joint more than anywhere else.

I know we all heal at a different pace but I have to admit it's concerning to see others hiking or out for multiple mile walks and I'm chickening out standing in line for 30 minutes.

Standing is THE WORST. I'm only 3 months out, not four, but I would say, yeah, that's pretty normal. I can walk 2 miles (with my trusty cane for now) but I can't stand for very long at all. My last post was me literally complaining that I couldn't even take the lights off my Christmas tree without lying down. Standing in front of the tree was just too uncomfortable smh

I agree that standing is difficult, if not the worst, as Hotchocolate mentioned above. A close tie for me was the confined space of the car after about 30 minutes tops. I am guessing you also had some anxiety building as you waited in line and were ready to throw in the towel once you were almost to the finish line. You seem to have a lot of stress right now with moving back home, the job search and ongoing discomfort with your recovery. An internist once told me that when we're stressed, if often manifests in a weak area of the body. Easy to believe, right? And IF so, I'd say your left hip area is currently a weaker area of your body as you continue to heal. Take some time to rest, ice and use OTC meds if needed and realize that it's going to take "more" time, possibly more time than others, likely longer than you planned or want, but it will take more time so gather up some patience, don't overdo it and just try to roll with it all. Brighter days are in your future! :SUNsmile:
@Solar7

Had a pretty great stretch of days overall despite coming down with a little bit of something. Zero pain meds for about 4 days!

But, I'm a little stiff at the moment, and there's some pain in my quad/knee area. It's close to my annual health break (like some people do New Years Resolutions I hold for after the Super Bowl), so I'll be focusing on getting that leg a lot stronger in a few weeks.

All is pretty good though!

Great news, Solar!
Continue reminding yourself how long this recovery can take and that you're only four months in.
Things are looking up! :SUNsmile:
@Solar7

4 months in the books. Yay!

Speaking of my aforementioned "health break," did anyone here get instructions about when it's okay to diet?

In my pre-surgery exploratory days I came across an ortho's instructions not to diet immediately after surgery, which makes sense - the body needs nutrients to heal. But I feel like now I'm likely far enough past that?

I do a pretty intense diet (no drinking, 1200 calories a day, sometimes 1000, and an hour workout 5x a week, 2-3 months). Not exactly doctor recommended at that extreme but it works for me. Anyone have any insight? I know this is a doctor question but as a reminder... my doctor is no longer around.

and an hour workout 5x a week
This will not be in the cards for awhile. Your new hip will not tolerate this intensity. I would rethink that approach and only ease into any aggressive approach. Remember - this recovery can take up to one year or longer.

@Solar7

I workout 45 min. - 1 hr a day usually. 6 days a week. I’ve been building up my stamina week over week. I am a month behind you.

One rule I have is if I can’t do the regular, exercise, I modify. For example, I’m not doing side planks. I’ll do something else instead.

I’ve been working my way back into jogging and week over week. I just add a little bit more each time. Today I did a peloton treadmill Boot Camp 60 minute work out. I got up to 5.0 in my sprints. But I also ease into that incrementally. Starting at a lower number and adding if I feel comfortable.

I try to modify anything that will put my hips at risk. No pivots. I can do most things. I would just make sure you’re cleared and you are conscious of your new hip and protecting it. My dr gave me no restrictions. Based on my fitness level and approach.

Last edited:
and an hour workout 5x a week
This will not be in the cards for awhile. Your new hip will not tolerate this intensity. I would rethink that approach and only ease into any aggressive approach. Remember - this recovery can take up to one year or longer.
I should note that the exercises vary and aren't necessarily always leg exercises. A typical workout would look like cycling for a bit, then bodyweight exercises like pushups & crunches, then maybe some seated weights.

@Solar7

I workout 45 min. - 1 hr a day usually. 6 days a week. I’ve been building up my stamina week over week. I am a month behind you.

One rule I have is if I can’t do the regular, exercise, I modify. For example, I’m not doing side planks. I’ll do something else instead.

I’ve been working my way back into jogging and week over week. I just add a little bit more each time. Today I did a peloton treadmill Boot Camp 60 minute work out. I got up to 5.0 in my sprints. But I also ease into that incrementally. Starting at a lower number and adding if I feel comfortable.

I try to modify anything that will put my hips at risk. No pivots. I can do most things. I would just make sure you’re cleared and you are conscious of your new hip and protecting it. My dr gave me no restrictions. Based on my fitness level and approach.
Most of what I plan to do is very easy on the hip and controlled. I'm not a workout person, and like you, very willing to modify. I won't be jogging ever again, but I'll be cycling on a fixed bike and maybe joining a rowing machine place up the street that's opening soon.

Since exiting PT six weeks post surgery I've been very sedentary, and I put on roughly 35-40 lbs since my accident pre-surgery. So I know it's going to be a long pathway to a good solid workout.

Re your diet. The main thing is to ensure you get adequate protein to heal and, as you wish to be active, to retain and down the line to increase muscle. Plus a good variety of veggies for overall health.

After surgery I lost 10kg. I wasn't overweight to begin with but I'm happy with the new weight. I didn't diet. I just had no appetite.

Food made me feel sick and currently I still can't eat much. I've really cut down my food intake but really increased veg and protein.

I'm very selective about what I eat and the weight is falling off. I feel good.

I don't exercise apart from walking so perhaps a diet modification would be the answer to weight loss rather than an intense workout.

Losing weight is more about eating..after all the easiest exercise is to shut the fridge door.:snork:

@Solar7 one of the fitness coaches I follow in one of my programs, always says “Abs are made in the kitchen”
I follow an amazing meal and fitness program all online through Facebook. I’m not going to name it here, but it’s been the easiest and best plan I have ever followed, both in price and what they offer.

Now you’re talking, biking is awesome. I prefer outdoor biking, but in NJ it gets a little cold for me in the winter. So indoor it is. I have ridden up to 55 miles outside in a day, and I hope to do 75 this year for the MS city to shore bike ride. During the summer, I ride 12-15 miles several days during the week. On the weekends, there are mimosa stops. So maybe that doesn’t count.

Love your positive outlook! You got this !

Last edited:
After surgery I lost 10kg. I wasn't overweight to begin with but I'm happy with the new weight. I didn't diet. I just had no appetite.

Food made me feel sick and currently I still can't eat much. I've really cut down my food intake but really increased veg and protein.

I'm very selective about what I eat and the weight is falling off. I feel good.

I don't exercise apart from walking so perhaps a diet modification would be the answer to weight loss rather than an intense workout.

Losing weight is more about eating..after all the easiest exercise is to shut the fridge door.:snork:
Definitely, for me it's mostly about not drinking. That's where I get my "bad calories."

The exercise I do isn't really the intense part, it's the caloric intake. I'm with you though - count calories, and modify the diet.

Hello my hippy twin.:wave:

You can excercise all day but if you eat like a horse you're not going to lose weight. Sure you build muscle and that burns fat,raises your metabolism which is great but if you say have a cappuccino and muffin after you're nullifying what you've worked off.

Cutting down carbs and sugar is important. Here in Australia sugar is often referred to a the new heroin...highly addictive, makes you fat and a higher risk for dementia plus a whole lot of other risk factors for other diseases . Spikes your blood sugar as well.not good.

More protein to fill you up and keep you full.
Here it's summer so I'm drinking more alcohol and eating more bbq and salads and the weight is staying off.

Just walk...30 minutes a day or 150 minutes a week in total but whatever you can manage for now being 4 months on , good for the hip and muscles as well,eat more mindfully and fill a water bottle up and drink up.

Sleep,very important for weight loss,healing, mental health. A good 7 hours plus each night.

Wish you well.:flwrysmile:

Last edited:
“Abs are made in the kitchen”
When I worked at a gym the joke was...

Female client: what do I need to eat to get a fat booty? Rice?

Trainer: go do barbell squats

Female client: how many crunches should I do for abs?

Trainer: chicken

The unfortunate truth about abs is they won't show unless you're bf% is very low, so your nutrition has to be locked down.

@Solar7 if you want to do a cut

-don't go below 100g of protein (1g per lean pound of body mass is better)

-don't go below 50g of fat

-you can't get enough vitamins at 1200 calories, so consider using a CICO app that has micro nutrition stats, and supplement accordingly.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member