THR Anterior - 3 weeks in recovery<<

You have had such a series of bad luck it seems, and I can only imagine how hard each day must seem. I think it's admirable that you are trying hard to be proactive about the next surgery, and to get as much support/information as you can. I have had a couple of friends who went through chemo/radiation/surgery for cancer. That in itself is so physically and emotionally draining, and when you add on all of the other things with your hip, heel, and the lymphoedema it must be very hard to get through each day. You also have the extra challenge of not living near a larger city where you have easy access to medical options---I feel for you. Would there be a possibility that after your next hip replacement you could stay in a rehab facility where they could help you with both the new hip, as well as your heel and other hip? I know the options are very different in other countries, but it seems to me with your medical history, your chronic pain, and the fact you aren't yet walking comfortably even prior to your next surgery, that it sure would be nice if you could have some additional support and care.

If that isn't an option, try not to assume your next hip will be as bad or worse. With your history, obviously there is a possibility, but hopefully it will be a much smoother experience. Keep reaching out to the folks here on the forum for support---take care.

@Skydove that is really too bad about your lack of proximity to a facility or therapist that can help you with your lymphedema. It would be most beneficial to you, there are things you are able to do for yourself but it's key to getting measured for a compression garment and to get some effective exercises to help your leg effectively drain.
I suspect that your PT knows about MLD and decongestive therapy but most likely isn't trained in this modality or she would have suggested it to you. But! She may have resources closer to your home that can help you.
For the time being I would like to mention a few things that should be helpful.
You want to elevate that leg as much as possible, sitting for long periods of time isn't good.
Avoid heating pads, moist heat packs, etc on that side of your lower body, lymphedema doesn't like heat as it can add to the inflammation.
Avoid socks or knee highs that are too tight and create a band of tightness where the elastic is located.

I hope this helps you a bit.. :flwrysmile:

Dear CricketHip, Layla, Debru4 and all the wonderful advisors on Bonesmart.

Thank you all so much for your very caring responses. It brought a tear to my eye as I've never had such support before. I am feeling much better, just from being in touch with you all.

Yes I will ask about the Rehab when I next see my surgeon, it is probably a very good option.
I have an appointment with my PT next week and have emailed her MDL and also photos of my swollen ankles. She is very supportive and said she would talk t me about it. So thanks CricketHip for this suggestion. Fabulous.

And now on a lighter note......

It has been a hard road indeed, what with the Shingles in my head and eyes and having both eyes swollen shut for 2 weeks in hospital and then diagnosed with cancer about 6 months after that and then the roller coast ride began. A bit like the Melbourne Cup really...

Yes ladies and gents, it's the 2020 Melbourne Health Cup and here are our commentators, Bob (OS) and Brad (PT).

BRAD: "Well Bob, I heard that Skydove may do well today, although this filly had major surgery, radio and chemo", some say she'll never make the distance.

BOB: "Well you never know, Brad, but wait...they're lining up.... Cancer's looking pretty feisty, next door to Shingles who is giving her rider heaps of trouble. Yeah, Brad I heard Shingles didn't do well in trials as they didn't feed him antivirals. Post Herpetic Neuralgia is fighting the trainer to get into the gate, gosh he's really acting up.

BRAD: "God, take a look at Hip Replacement, he's looking good, but Bursa is giving him a hard time and good heavens, here comes Achilles Tendonitis, such a great runner for a small horse. Temporomandibular Joint Disfunction has just kicked in and wow, he's not happy going into the gate."

BOB: "I don't know, Brad, but wait, I think they're almost ready... yes.... THEY'RE OFF... and.... Lymphodema's had a rocky start and stumbled out of the gate, he's side-swipped Rheumatoid Arthritis giving him a bit of a fright, he'll need a Surgeon to sort out that leg later. They're heading down the first straight and crickey Melbourne, Skydove's pulled to the front and has taken the lead, but it's going to be a close race to see who wins."

BRAD: Yes, Bob, but Skydove is still hanging in there. Oh no, Depression has just passed Skydove and looks like she's now in 2nd place. Left Hip Replacement is coming up but can't squeeze in as Right Total Knee Replacement has him pinned to the rail. What on earth's happened to Achillies Tendonitis, he was the favourite when the race started? Temporomandibular Joint Disfunction has just moved to the inside and hit Skydove, good heavens will she recover? Well folks wonders will never cease as Skydove has got up and now passed Left Hip Replacement, Shingles, Post Herpetic Neuralgia and left the rest of the field eating their dust.

BOB: I'd heard that Skydove had been sick since 2009 but it seems like nothing can stop her today, Brad.

BRAD: Yes, it looks like Skydove is going to win... Hello who's this gaining on Skydove…. it's Grim Reaper. What a race this is folks! I think it's going to be a photo finish and yes, here they come into the final stretch... and it's Skydove in the front by a head closely followed by Grim Reaper, it's so close, OMG... LOOK AT THIS.... IT'S SKYDOVE... YES SKYDOVE.... SHE'S HANGING IN THERE, WILL SHE DO IT? Arrrrgh!!!!!!! YES IT'S SKYDOVE BY A NOSE!!!!… OMG SKYDOVE HAS WON THE CUP. Yes, Skydove won the race by a nose. I'm exhausted, Brad, how about you?

BRAD Speechless, Brad. I never thought Skydove would make it. Well, that wraps up another Melbourne Health Cup. Make sure you all come back next year and see whether Skydove can do it again. What a race this has been!!!
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Just a bit of humour to cheer your day.

It's a wonderful life and I'm thinking of writing a book. I'm going to call it, "Darlings, I've Had a Ball". Ha haaa.

Thanks to you all for being so caring, thoughtful and giving such good advice, all of which I shall take on board and try and follow.

Cheers
Skydove (by a nose)!!

:rofsign:Oh my stars...unabashedly fabulous!
And how dare you! and good for you!...for making me grin so wide over such an awfully sad mixture of health issues.

You should write a book...you are wonderfully creative.
I hereby dub thee - The Secretariat of Bonesmart and this quote comes to mine

This isn't about going back. This is about life being ahead of you and you run at it. Because you never know how far you can go until you run." -From Disney's Secretariat

You've already come so far and it is no surprise you are weary.
I don't have any sage advice, but please know we will be betting on you, @Skydove
Skydove, by a LENGTH!
:fasthorse:

Thanks Mojo, just a bit of Friday madness and I felt that I was becoming too sad and too down, so needed to pick myself up.

I am very proud to be the Secretariat of Bonesmart, oh wise one, and soon Obe Wan, I’ll be galloping around the fields again, so don’t forget to place that bet!! Ha haaa

Thanks again! :heehee:

Oh goodness! This especially tickled me, I was raised on a horse farm for standardbred horses. My father trained and drove. I love nothing more than a good, close horse race. Thank you for taking the time to share.. :horseriding:

I will gladly bet on you for the next race, too. see you in the Winner's Circle!

Thanks cricket.

I started to feel that I was getting too serious and too depressed and wanted to lighten the mood. I think often when we have to deal with a lot of surgery and health problems, I can become quite down and find myself spiralling into depression. That’s no good for me or for anyone, so thought that I’d poke fun at myself give myself a run for my money, so to speak (ha) and I know I can do with a bit of a laugh, so I thought perhaps others could too.

I did appreciate your post and all the information, especially about heat as I didn’t know that and also about the MLD. I sometimes find it quite difficult to do the lymphatic massage myself as a lot of the time I have RA in my hands and arms and cannot use them, so massage would be out. I’ve never had anyone do any kind of massage on me, so it would be a first, if I am lucky enough to find someone who can do MLD.

I do feel brighter today, but am having a difficult time walking and using my hands today, so a bit of a bummer, but I’m not going to let it gt me down as I’m sure there are worse things that others have and “after all, tomorrow is another day” (Vivien Leigh in Gone With The Wind).

Thanks again CricketHip, your advice is invaluable.

cheers
Skydove. :horseriding:

:hi: @Skydove
Just checking in to see if you've had any improvement in the swelling and to say...Have a Happy Monday :flwrysmile:

No Mojo, not yet but I’m off to see my OS tomorrow, so will see what he has to say. Probably will be booking in for my other hip replacement. Will. Let you know how it goes.
Thanks for asking.

cheers
Skydove :)

Hi everyone,

I got an email in purportedly from Bonesmart. This email talks about Active Skin Repair with HOCI and that Bonesmart partnered with BLDG Active.

Can someone kindly let me know whether this email is in fact from Bonesmart or whether it is a scam?

We have been getting a lot of scam emails lately and before looking into it, I would like to find out if it is in fact a genuine email from Bonesmart.

Thanks all,
cheers
Skydove :shrug:

@Skydove I can confirm the email is from BoneSmart. Please let us know if you have any questions about the content.

Thank you so much for your reply.

Good to know. Nowadays with all the Spam that comes in to your inbox it’s sometimes hard to know what is real and what is a scam.

So thanks for that. :))

Hello Skydove,
I hope you get notifications and receive this message.
HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY!
We’d love to know how you’re doing and read an update on your progress.
Hope things are great and you’re enjoying life. Stay safe and well!
@Skydove

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom