Revision THR Another Second Chance

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Hope you're having a nice weekend so far.
Big day tomorrow....back to work. You'll have to let us know how it goes.
A relaxing Sunday evening to you. :)
@inthebeginning

Hope your first day back isn't too tiring, assuming you can find your way there! :snork:

Happy 2 Month Anniversary, you have rocked this recovery out! :thumb:

Found my way to the airport today. 10 hour shift complete! I actually have LESS steps on my Fitbit today than I have had in the last few weeks. I opted to stand at my desk when I was in the office. Probably only totaled about 3 1/2 total hours driving around plus :45 min drive each way to and from work.

So far, so good! I may take the bike out for a spin, or the dogs for a walk!
:biking: :dogwalk:

Day 63.
Second day back to work. A few more steps on the Fitbit and maybe a little less time in the truck. Ride the bike 5 miles when I got home.

Caught myself taking the few steps that lead into my office two at a time today! Absolutely no pain at all. Just the requisite tightness up front in the flexors.

Speaking of stairs and steps, look at this. I’ve done this before with the kids a few times. Actually 3 times one visit. Thinking we may go back soon. It’s only about :30 from home.

Last edited:
Second PT visit today. I rode my bike there :biking:
I brought my old hip to show them. A couple of them said they’ve never seen one outside of a cadaver!

Added a couple of different exercises today. Pictures are attached. One was a kneeling wood chop on a Bosu ball. Good leg kneeling on the Bosu while the operated leg is out front at 90°. Then two sets of 30 woodchops.

The other was marching steps while laying on an exercise bal.

Feels great!

Attachments

• Another Second Chance
    D6984752-99CF-44FD-87AF-134DD322CC57.jpeg
    6 KB · Views: 200
  • Another Second Chance
    FAA39105-D67A-4657-AC50-B0B26E9A1724.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 202
  • Another Second Chance
    0FFD4928-B78D-4276-A4A6-FA4C7A55EC92.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 200
Ended up with bicycle 71.5 miles for the month of June. The first 10 were on a spin bike during the first week of the month. Once I was cleared to ride on the road, off I went!
There is no marked tiredness at the end of the day, even long days standing at work or at a swim meet for 7 hours on a Saturday. I think the hip is good!
We leave after work on Wednesday for Grand Lake up in the Rocky Mountains. My son’s birthday is July 4, so we like to celebrate with family up there. I will make an attempt to use the stand up paddle board.
:surfer:

Great news! You're moving right along. Just don't get too crazy.
Well you've already done that, so don't get any crazier.
Have fun in Grand Lake. I've been there several times. Winding River Ranch. Beautiful, peaceful area....love!
Have fun with the fam. Safe travels!
@inthebeginning

Had a blast over the 4th weekend. Rose the bike and did some paddle boarding. Everything felt great!

Had my 4th PT appointment yesterday. Everything is progressing very well.
ROM numbers were all better except for Internal Rotation.
ER went from 25° to 45°.
Flexion from 110° to 125°
Extension from 5° to 7° but,
IR actually dropped from 40° to 30°.
May have been the angle of the table. I kept my thigh flat against the table. If I lift off the table a small amount, I can turn it in better. The only thing that is bothering me and my PT is that I cannot do a single leg squat on the operated side. I can stand on that leg by itself just fine, just can’t squat down very far at all without having to hold on to something for support.

12 week check with my OS today. Sitting in the room waiting, I heard him talking outside the door saying,” this follow-up should be quick”. He just came in and I told him my concern and he has ordered some x-rays. He mentioned perhaps some heterotopic ossification. He told me he had to clean some out during the revision. This would explain the same lack of strength trying to single leg squat prior to the revision as well, along with the loose stem!
X-ray was negative so far for any extra bone growth. He did tell me that the tendon he released was the Rectus Femoris. THAT explains the weakness in the front and the reason I get a little pain referral to the knee when I try to do those squats.

All in all he said everything is progressing very, very well and I see him in 3 months just to check in. This lines up with my 6 month goal of a 100 mile bike ride..

Been back to work for 3 weeks and just about back to normal there.

Have a great rest of the summer!

Last edited:
Hello :wave:
Great update. I'll bet you're pleased. It's always nice to get the thumbs up from the OS.
Good to hear work is going well too. You're definitely on your way. :walking:
I hope you have a great weekend!
@inthebeginning

Awwww! @Layla thanks. It’s almost like I’ve forgotten already. Just a little weakness in the rectus femoris is all I’m dealing with. That’s one of the biggest muscle in the quadriceps group. It was also the tendon that doc released when he was doing my revision.

I've already passed my total monthly mileage on the bike compared to last month, so that’s promising!

Hope everyone has a great rest of your summer (or winter for you Ozzies and Kiwi’s!

Happy three month hipversary, hippy friend.
Hope you and yours are enjoying your summer as well.
Lots of improvements to come!

Thanks @Mojo333
Summer is almost over in these parts! Kids go back to school on Aug 7! Then I’ll really start cranking up the mileage
:biking:
PT last night had me lay on my side on the table. Keeping hips 90° to the table, extend leg back, keeping it straight to check ROM. First attempt was 10°. Checked the good side, 18°. Worked the revision side for a few and got 15°!

That rectus femoris tendon and muscle are the weakest link. PT said just go for it with weight lifting focusing on the quads. That poor, poor muscle hasn’t worked correctly for so long.

I also had a dream that I was running last night... haven’t run since before the first hip. I remember lots of running dreams after the first one 6 years ago. Doesn’t make me as nostalgic this time.plus I’ve got my bike!

I flipped a canoe over that had a water moccasin under it...and ran.:running:
Surprised me!

Happy belated 4 month hipversary, friend!:friends:

Attachments

• Another Second Chance
    1C7D7322-F0D9-4C09-BA4E-615ADFF322D8.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 176
  • Another Second Chance
    783DE500-6E10-4018-B89B-D139FCB3F704.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 186
  • Another Second Chance
    18420438-FCFE-4AFE-BE82-B64351530309.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 173
  • Another Second Chance
    396AF188-5B17-409A-AB3A-20745005D89F.jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 180
Little staircase?!! It looks like the Stairway to Heaven.
Nice pic of you and darling daughter. I hope you rewarded her afterward with some Ice Cream.
Back to school on August 7th? That's crazy! My granddaughter goes back the 20th and I thought that was early. We never went back until the day after Labor Day. Summer is shrinking, lol. Enjoy it while you can.
Behave yourself and have a great weekend!
@inthebeginning

You are way ahead of me at 3 months...I wouldn't have attempted that at 6 months!:flabber:
I'm quite sure I could keep up with y'all now though.:)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member