THR Anniepops THR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Hiya newbie here.

Hi Annie,

Let's call for @charlie cyborg: he might be able to give you some tips on how he went to partial weight bearing after his surgery.

Also, maybe @lisanewmc: and @Jyoti: can help with suggestions and information about physio in the UK and the recovery with congenitally dislocated hip issues too.

Take care, :friends:
Cardie

You will want to ensure that you don't attempt any weightbearing until your surgeon says it's okay. But...once you get the green light, you will use your crutches (sticks) for support and just barely touch your toes to start. With some time, you'll increase your weight on that leg ever so slightly, still supported by the crutches. You'll know if you are doing too much because you will feel discomfort. It's going to be important to take things slowly once you begin to bear weight.

Good morning,
Thanks Cardie and Jamie.
The thing is Jamie, that my six week check isn't until actually 8 weeks post op.
My instructions were no weight bearing for 6 weeks so I didn't know what to do for the two weeks inbetween.
I called the hospital and the surgeons secretary put me through to an arthroscopic nurse who said I could start to put a little weight on my leg after 6 weeks.
Do you think it's best to ignore this advice and just wait the eight weeks when I have an appt with the nurse team.
The letter makes no mention of me seeing my surgeon this day although the nurse did say I would have an Xray and they would check my range of movement too.
I don't know what to do for the best. I don't want to cause any damage.

Hmmmm, if you don't feel comfortable with the arthroscopic nurse's advice are you able to call back and speak with someone that is more directly affiliated with the surgeon himself and would know the protocol and your case a bit more intimately????

I applaud you for being cautious -- I felt the same way after my surgery, didn't want to do anything that might jeopardize my implant in the early weeks. :thumb:

Take care,
Cardie

That's the problem Cardie, i spoke to my surgeons secretary and explained my concerns and she said she would put me through to the nurse. It seems that speaking to an actual Doctor is not an option unfortunately.

It's really frustrating but I don't want to be a pest and keep ringing even though I should be able to .

The nurse did have all my details in front of her as she told me which made me think she was knowledgeable enough to give advice but I am still wary.

I think I might just continue the way I'm going until the X ray and examination.

Another thing, Like most people I was told to wear the Teds for 6 weeks. I don't know whether to ditch them then or again wait another two weeks.

I noticed you posted on another thread that you were checked for blood clots at your check up which I presume is what happens to everyone so do I get rid at 6 weeks or hang on for another two.

hmmm decision decisions

Thanks

Ann

My OS doesn't use the phone either -- with the exception of when my GP doctor has called to speak with him twice on my situations.

I'm sure you'll get suggestions from others -- like the moderators. My suggestion is to follow your cautious intuition on the weight bearing if that is what you feel is the right thing to do for now.

I can't give an opinion on the TEDS, I didn't have those I had a different protocol for blood clots. I heard that @Josephine: was having a vacation, but when she gets back she'll probably weight in on your questions.

Take care,
Cardie

The nurse told me they don't usually give physio to hip patients just recommend lots of walking but I have a feeling I may need some because of the six weeks non weight bearing and my operated leg feels like jelly.
Nah you won't! You'll find that once you start weight bearing and walking, things will quickly get into shape again. Try not to worry.
I put a small towel under my knee this afternoon whilst having a little nap in bed but I am concerned that it is lifting my leg higher than my hip....must admit I am terrified of doing something wrong and doing some damage.
People often fall foul of this - it's not lifting your leg higher than your hip, it's bending your hip more than 90 degrees. You can do it up to that point but not past it. Have a look at this article, it will explain it all to you This 90 degree rule and risk of dislocation. You need to remember that you are now 4 weeks and more and fast getting to that point where restrictions will be lifted and everything will be go! It doesn't just happen overnight, it's a gradual process. You will just need to build confidence.
The thing is Jamie, that my six week check isn't until actually 8 weeks post op. My instructions were no weight bearing for 6 weeks so I didn't know what to do for the two weeks in between. I called the hospital and the surgeons secretary put me through to an arthroscopic nurse who said I could start to put a little weight on my leg after 6 weeks.
Do you think it's best to ignore this advice and just wait the eight weeks when I have an appt with the nurse team.

I don't know what to do for the best. I don't want to cause any damage.
Not at all! When you progress from NWB the next step is touch-toe bearing where you just put your toe to the floor and as much weight as you can comfortably bear on it - which isn't much. After that comes partial weight bearing which is to put your foot down but with only a small amount of weight. Both of these mean, of course, that you bear most of your weight on the crutches. It's not an exact science by any means and you won't cause any damage as long as you don't rush it.
The letter makes no mention of me seeing my surgeon this day although the nurse did say I would have an Xray and they would check my range of movement too.
You won't see the consultant unless he specifically wants to see you. The general rule is that consultants see new patients and returning patients with special things to discuss. Otherwise, all follow-ups are done by the registrar but the consultant will probably be in an adjacent clinic so he can seek advice if needed.

Hope this all helps.

Josephine, thankyou from the bottom of my heart for the advice. I appreciate it so much. You have took a weight off my mind.

Hooray I now look forward to next Tuesday when I can do the touch toe bearing.

It's also very good to know I probably won't be seeing my consultant at appointments as I would have been wondering when I was going to get to see him.

I don't mind at all seeing the registrar especially if it's the one who came to see me on the ward as he was so lovely.

Eee I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't found Bonesmart with all you supportive,caring and helpful people.i think I would have been chewed to bits by now.

I hope I can return the favour and help and encourage other members in the future.

Thankyou

Ann

Thanks also for the link about the 90 degree rule, that is very helpful.

Hi Ann, I did go to see the physio at my GP's after a few weeks and she just gave me squats and clams to do to build up my muscles and said keep up the walking. It's very exciting being on the road to recovery isn't it? We all progress at our own pace, some quicker than others but what's most important is to be happy with your own progress and not make comparisons, and enjoy all the support you'll find from the BoneSmarties.
Go hinny!
:yes 4:

Hi Annie,
Welcome to BS. I've been on holiday so am now catching up with the threads. Yes, I also had CDH and I know your case is different but I believe in general it does take a bit longer to fully recover, but we are all different.

I expected to be back walking independently after 3 months latest but just had my 1st birthday and still use a crutch. I had my leg lengthened as it was shorter but still not equal but definately better. MY ROM has improved but not hugely. Still difficult putting socks on and still can't tie laces. But to be honest thinking about it now if my muscles have had reduced ROM for so many years I can't see it improving too much but you never know in the next 2 to 3 years I'm hoping there will still be some improvement.

I have to say patience is the key and the need to take it slowly is the best you can do. The Hospital Physio referred me to outpatients Physio and it was the standard exercises which helped but when I hadn't progressed as far as she had hoped she told me to keep at it and go back when I needed more advanced exercises. Still waiting for that :th_heehee:.

i then looked around privately and found another Physio who has helped but again on a plateau so looking at alternative treatments. C Mac recommended Rolfing and have found a practitioner who does a treatment called KMI. Haven't seen him yet but will see how that goes.

Also seen a Osteopath as had a bad back ache. That helped loads also. Now still have knee and foot pain. That is literally a pain and waiting for that to decrease. Think my weight hasn't helped either :th_heehee:

I also only saw the OS at my 6 week check up. I think he wanted to see his handy work as I remember him looking pleased as punch after my surgery. He was very pleased how it went. After that seen different Registrar's. They haven't been much help for me. But as said before, all they want to make sure is that everything is where it should be. The aches and pains etc, they will leave to to other professionals.

But you will get there. If you have any specific questions let me know.
Take care
Jyoti

Hi Anne
It's interesting that you got physio. It definitely seems to be which part of the country you are in as to whether you get offered physio or not. I guess I will just have to wait and see.
I am exited to get moving, just hope the exitement continues when I start getting the muscle etc pains.lol.
'go hinny' :biggrin: I like it.
Take care
Ann

Hi Jyoti,

I appreciate you posting at length and I'm sorry to hear you seem to have had a rough time of it.

It is advantageous but also a bit scary to hear about other peoples recovery when their circumstances are similar but I would rather know what can happen and how long recovery could possibly take than expecting fantastic results then being bitterly disappointed so thankyou.

I have prepared myself for up to a years recovery but have been concerned about the fact that my LLD was so big to start with.

My muscles have been shot to hell for as long as I can remember so I'm not expecting them to improve dramatically.

I used to be able to tie my shoe laces but not for a while. Thank God for velcro eh..

It's good that the Os was chuffed with your operation. At least you know that the best that could have been done for you was done, if you see what I mean.

I hope the new treatments work for you, fingers crossed.

That's one of the great things about here, you find out about different things which you can try, things that you would have never even known about otherwise.

I sincerely hope you contnue to improve and can get rid of that crutch one day soon.

Take care

Ann

Well I had my first 'full' independant shower today. I have showered without my husband in the room with me but haven't also washed my hair because I still felt a bit unstable doing that.

It was wonderful, not having to wait until hubby was available, just got in there and job done:biggrin:.....another little step.

Looking forward to Tuesday which will be the end of my none weightbearing and I can have a go at dipping my toe in the water or on the ground so to speak :yes 4:

I am going to take it easy. I'm not in any pain at all now so I will know if I am overdoing it as all the pain will be new. Will let you know how I get on.

Hope everyone is enjoying the Easter weekend

Ann

Hi Ann,
Sorry I've missed your thread 'til now:DOH:
I had a Legge Perthes affected hip from early childhood and despite having a LLD of about 2.5 inches and very limited ROM but I was very sporty even after a very late diagnosis, well into my thirties. Then didn't get a new hip until last year (and then a second after an accidental femur break :DOH: earlier this year!!).
I was barred from full weight bearing also for six weeks because of the broken leg. But during that six weeks I was encouraged to toe touch as Jo described (for three weeks) and then partial weight bear, again as Jo said, for the next three.
It seems that after six weeks it's ok to full weight bear, but take it easy but still use your stick(s) obviously.
You're absolutely right to be careful, read my thread around the beginning of January for an object lesson in what can happen if you don't take care!!!
All I would say is when you see your OS team be well prepared to ask all the questions you NEED to ask and don't get fobbed off!!
I'm doing great, finger's crossed, full weight bearing, and no sticks for three odd weeks at least .... I still have stiff thigh muscles and can't get my bloomin' socks on but I hope that I'll be pretty good by summer and Anniepops .... I am exceedingly old as you can see in the video I posted two months after my last op in mid March.

Keep us posted and best of luck!!

Love
Charlie x

Well well well Charlie, what an absolutely fab video that was. Thankyou for pointing me towards it. You are certainly not an old Gadgee, I was expecting some very old guy hobbling around but boy what a shock I got, you are just a young chap:dancy:.

You are a hoot Charlie and have not only gave me a right old belly laugh but also more hope than I have ever had since my op.

I have read all of your thread and was shocked to read of your accident, especially as you were doing so well up until your little trip.

Your strength and upbeat manner is an inspiration. Your LLD was evenmore than mine, so that gives me even more hope of a full recovery and being able to wear flip flops for the first time in my life someday........a bit shallow I know but it's something I've always wished I could do..:biggrin: i don't ask for much, oh and of course much less if no pain too.

After seeing your video I'm going to do that too once I start weight bearing. It will be interesting to look at in years to come.

Thanks Charlie,

Take care

Ann

Hi Annie,
Thanks, I also hope I'll get rid of it soon. At my 6 months appt the registrar said he could not promise that I would be off the crutch. Wasn't impressed with him and I KNOW i will do it.

My LLD was 5cms and my leg was lengthend by 3cms so theoretically I should have a 2cm difference now Was hoping to not have a heel raise, but think I will need to as it does make a difference in how I walk.

Also about the muscles, the longer you haven't used it, the harder to get them back. My ROM has improved slightly but having not used certain muscles properly for about 20/30years or possibly more, I doubt it will return to 'normal', but hoping for improvement.

I think I've been lucky in may ways as when you read some of the other threads, some of us have had a lot harder time.

WE will all get there, some of us will be quicker while others will be slower.
Take care
Jyoti

Hi Annie don't let the video mislead you into thinking I'm younger than am ... there is a portrait* in my attic ....... it's of an old Gadgie, with monstrously deformed features and a lascivious expression and the blood of many a virgin trickling down it's hideously gnarled chin. The hollowed out eyes betray the many horrors of debauchery, depravity and dissoluteness they have seen almost nightly!! Yes that's right it's the wife!!:hysterical:
I'm glad you enjoyed the video and yes my watchword is POSITIVITY!
"Don't think what you've not got or can't have, or do.... but what you've actually got and what you are capable of doing." Like wearing flip flops!:loll:

Have a good Easter
Charlie

* With apologies to Oscar Wilde

Happy Easter Sunday everyone....

I decided to have a little go at toe weightbearing today, it's only two days short of my 6weeks post op and I was spurred on by Charlies amazing story.

I'm only applying a little weight, not going daft or anything. No pain in the hip whatsoever but my groin definitely doesn't like it.

I had terrible groin pain quite frequently pre op so I know it is a weak area so I'm going to have to watch out for that.

I was thinking of trying out some physio exercises. Has anyone got any thought on this, should I wait until I have been weightbearing a few days or is it okay do a little PT now?

Tried to get on my bad side this morning but as I can't move my operated leg at all whilst lying down I couldn't do it without a lot of twisting and turning so I'm giving that a miss for now.

Have ditched the Teds, I'm moving about around the house quite a bit now so I guess I'm safe.

Ann

Ooo Charlie, you're a cheeky one. Good job I have read how wonderful your wife is in previous posts so looks arn't everything.lol

And what's all this about now wanting to reveal your age? I thought it was only us women who had that rule. Well you look fine and dandy whatever your age, especially with the multiple disguises.

I'm gong to show your video to my OH when he comes in from work, he's extremely positive about my recovery but I want him to see how far I could actually come on. Fingers crossed eh!!

Have a lovely day,

Ann.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks