TKR Andpeaches 2nd TKR is DONE!!

There should be a way to make that a poster and issue it to TKR patients as they go home from the hospital. Then pin it up to the wall for all family members to see. (My hospital gave me a football with their name on it and I still have no idea why.)

Celebrating not only a gorgeous day here in Southern NJ but also hitting a few milestones. I am 1month into recovery!! I finally feel stronger! Sleeping 4-5 hr stretches at night. Can’t stay on side more than 20 min but oh well. With @wilsonma as my role model, I got out on the pickleball court today exactly 4 weeks after my LTKR!!! These dear friends kept the game super really easy, but man it felt great to hit a few good shots. Can’t run laterally but the ball placement hasn’t been lost. Played and drilled easily for about 1 hour. Now home elevated and iced. Amazing how when you’re having fun there’s no pain. Thank @wilsonma for encouraging me! I feel like I turned a huge corner today. :tennis2:
Andpeaches
IMG_8718.jpeg

Celebrating not only a gorgeous day here in Southern NJ but also hitting a few milestones.
Hi from across the bay in Delaware! Yes, it is a lovely day today. That’s a great photo. It’s so nice to get out and do something normal, after a month of hardcore recovery. Best wishes as you carefully ease back into your sport!

Look at you go! Fresh air, beautiful blue skies, sunshine, good friends and a little exercise...sounds perfect!
Happy One Month Anniversary, one day early. Enjoy the rest of the week! :SUNsmile:
@andpeaches

5 1/2 weeks into LTKR recovery and as I did with the last knee 5 yrs ago, I’m waking up everyday like it’s GROUNDHOG’s DAY!!! Aarrgh:hairpulling:
New knee seems to have decided to quit getting better! It doesn’t want to walk more than 30 min. It doesn’t want to go shopping. It doesn’t want to cook a meal.
Yes, I have been trying to do more. My pre-op energy has returned about 75% at almost 6 weeks. I went over to girlfriends house yesterday and had a game night with good friends with much needed hysterical laughter. Kept an ice pack on knee most of the evening. Friends so supportive, getting me food and drink. They are a blessing.:friends:
I cut back my pain med- hydrocodone (Vicodin) dosing to only 1/2 tablet in the morning and 1 full tablet before bed. I’m determined to wean off by 8 weeks as recommended by OS. So I cut back by 25% each week. But it is NOT in my head, I feel the pain more during the day now. I’m supplementing with acetaminophen 1000 mg 3 x day. But it doesn’t get me as comfortable as the Vicodin does. Sleeping is ok and slowly getting better. I can get comfy on left side with 4 pillows all around leg. Still can’t stay over on R side for more than 10 min. But it’s ok as I just work with moving around and can sleep 3-4 hours a stretch.
But every morning I wake up to the same stiff tight painful knee. Doesn’t loosen up until I walk around a little and pain lightens up with acetaminophen and 1/2 tablet of Vicodin. Still going to PT 3 x week because therapist still listens to me and won’t push it. She gives it the BEST massage! Measured my flexion today at 105 and extension at -2. But she knows I don’t really care. She too is not focused on measuring as she only has to record it for ?? Insurance ? She agrees it takes over a year to expect that full flexion/ extension back. I just keep thanking my now old dependable RTKR for how perfect it is!
So today I’m back elevated and iced up most of the day AGAIN! Therefore it’s groundhogs day again. I think I went through this plateau before but I can’t wait until it passes. Patience is not in my DNA.
Ok rant over and out….. :banghead:

Actually the pain is worse today at 5 1/2 weeks than it was at 3 weeks. Could the stormy weather along the east coast of the USA affect my knee like this?:gaah:

Yes, some can feel weather changes in their joint, andpeaches.

It's especially true for patients with arthritic joints who have not had a joint replacement, but also the case even after you have a new prosthetic in place.

Weather changes are predicted by changes in barometric pressure, which is the weight of the air pressing against the earth's surface. These changes can trigger pain and stiffness in the area of the prosthesis. The activity of bone adapting and growing around the metal leads to the sensitivity felt during weather and pressure changes. These sensations normally disappear within one to two years following surgery.

I hope you have a nice Sunday!
@andpeaches

Your knee sure can act up with barometric changes. My left knee which was replaced 2 years ago, still aches before it rains. Other than that, it’s perfect.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well and enjoying Spring so far.
Take care! :SUNsmile:
@andpeaches

Hi @Layla !!
Thank you for checking in!! Yup my new baby knee is actually 10 weeks old now. I just remarked yesterday, while walking our dogs, that my knee pain is finally less than it was preoperatively. That’s a WIN right?!?! And then it woke me up in the middle of last night and said « haha nice try, not yet »:nah:But it is better! Just has it’s moments when the tightness and ache comes back. I’m sitting a lot this week as I’m busy grading many term papers (I’m an adjunct college nursing professor) sitting at my computer with leg propped. The weather has been lovely here in So NJ so I’m getting out walking more and playing a little pickleball :tennis2:with friends who don’t push me to play harder. Saw my OS at 8 weeks who told me I can continue to rehab my knee by myself if I want.:yes!:BUT he wants to see me get 5 more degrees of flexion. Haha! I showed him how I can bend my 5 year old R TKR ankle to my butt and he laughed and said ok ok. So I think I’m done with formal PT. I truly hope just walking a mile a day, about 15 min on our Peloton bike 3X week and playing pickleball 2 x week will get my new knee back to where I want it. Can’t wait for the 3 month birthday!!! I remember that was a big turning point with my last TKR.
It’s nice to be able to take a moment and check in on my friends here. Hi to my February gang! Hope everyone is getting better and better and better and ……. :cheers:
Andpeaches

showed him how I can bend my 5 year old R TKR ankle to my butt and he laughed and said ok ok.
Love this! Proof positive that we don't need to push to regain our ROM -- it comes with time. Good for you.

Hi there andpeaches!
What a lovely post to read first thing in the morning. You're so cheerful! Love the progress you're making and your positive attitude. Thanks for checking in with an update that I believe will inspire many.
A great weekend to you! :)
@andpeaches

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads