TKR And the Marathon Begins<<

@Jockette Ya, at 4 weeks I wouldn’t have tried that on the bike. Now, at almost 8 weeks, it’s not painful to do. The stretch feels good. Hope my hip and back don’t start complying.
 
@SusieShoes Thanks for the info. I didn’t realize it was a later on kind of thing. I can do it for a couple minutes before it gets uncomfortable. I wouldn’t say it’s painful really but I do stop when it gets uncomfortable. I can stop and hope the walking does it for now. I go to PT today. They haven’t measured my extension for maybe 2 weeks. If it’s still at 10......??
 
If your extension is still at 10, try not to worry. Extension often takes longer to achieve than flexion does. That's because the big muscles and tendons at the back of your leg have to stretch slowly and gently.

There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion), either flexion or extension, because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
 
Just returned from PT. 95 flexion and 7 extension. Last week it was 85 unassisted, 90 assisted and 10, so I'm progressing. @Celle you are so correct about ROM-I continued for years after my first TKR. I'm not in a hurry, but I do like to see progression every couple of weeks:fingersx: Last TKR I was "stuck" a long time, so as long as I'm progressing this time, I don't care how long it takes.
 
Sometimes when you seem to be stuck, I think that your knee is just taking the time to consolidate what it has already achieved, before it moves forward again. I've got no proof of that. It's just my personal theory.
 
The hip lift technique I mentioned is what I do to get full rotation on the bike. If I don’t lean to the side a few inches and lift my hip I can’t do the rotation. Is it wrong to do that?
I would say so, yes.
The extension activity of putting your calf and ankle on the ottoman was something I saw a fellow posting here. I thought it was endorsed by bonesmart. No? Not a good way to help extension? But I’ll certainly stop if not worth it.
I keep meaning to edit that article and remove the image. I don't think it's beneficial at all.
 
My physio said to get good rotation for the bike you need 110ROM. How high is you seat it needs to be quite high. I don't like that exercise using rolled up towel putting ankle over it and let the leg hang I can only do it for about 40 seconds I find that it very uncomfortable. An alternative is to lie on bed or table on your stomach with your legs hanging over the bed unsupported does the same stretch.
 
A better alternative is to do none of those things and let walking be sufficient instead.
 
@Josephine It's really so freeing to not do all the PT stuff. Going to the fabric store today for material to recover my son's camper cushions. That certainly will be LOTS of walking!:) :-) (:
 
I love going to fabric stores!

And I count any walking in stores as a walk!
 
@Josephine Could you please help me clarify my medicines? I tried to go thru my general doctors message system but apparently I asked too many questions and they want me to schedule an appointment. Don't think I need that much attention. LOL

I'm taking about 3,000 Tylenol a day
Usually 1 Tramadol at bedtime
1 Mobic daily

I'm questioning if I should mix the Mobic and Tylenol....Is that OK?

I also used to take 2 Aleve daily...for years...just to be able to walk...the arthritis in my feet and ankles is pretty severe and when I stop the Aleve I can't walk. I've not taken the Aleve tho since surgery and have been on Mobic. But was wondering if I am better off with Aleve or Mobic, both do about the same for me. I know not to take them together. But was wondering which is better for my insides, or not as bad, I know they're both bad.

Thanks for any suggestions or help:thankyou:

@Jockette Fabric store was not as much walking as I thought. I went right to the "sale" table and found exactly the right material for my son's cushions in about 10 seconds. That never happens! It was freaky weird. I was looking forward to browsing and using it as my walk time. Guess I'll have to walk the dogs tonight:)

Wish me luck on those cushions tho:shocked:
 
I’m glad you found what you wanted, good luck with the cushions!

The sewing I do for my son is repairing his work pants! He works for a demolition company and that can be tough on one’s work clothes!

Happy sewing!
 
Of course you can mix all three of them! And since none of your other meds contain acetaminophen, it would be perfectly safe for you to take 4,000mg of Tylenol every 24 hrs.

I would suggest the following schedule - times can be adjusted to your preference of course!

[Bonesmart.org] And the Marathon Begins<<
 
@Josephine Thank you so much! That is about exactly what I do!! Except will often skip the bedtime Tylenol-but not always.

Now I don't have to waste time at my general's office. Awesome!

Now, Aleve or Mobic? Which is preferred..... I kind of need one for sure.
 
@Josephine I will experiment another time by using no NSAIDS, but my past experiences doing that left me walking like a 150 year old lady. Ok. Will not skip that bedtime Tylenol :))
 
Oh my goodness. That energy drain thing stinks. Went out to a restaurant for lunch for my mom’s birthday. Was so nice to get out and do something normal and celebrate her. She even opted for their free brownies dessert AND ordered cheesecake on top of that! Was gone from house 3½ hours. Managed to ice on the 30 minute drive there and keep my leg up on the booth next to me.

But as soon as I got home I literally ran to my bed and crashed for 1½ hours. I’d love to be able to stay vertical all day but I get so tired from things. Is there a magical energy vitamin? Just kidding. I know there’s not.

How can some of these TKR people who had surgery after me do all the stuff they do??? I mean I’m glad they can for them but I want in on some of that. Lol
 
I think it is the pain that wears you out. I take panadol regularly and still have some discomfort. But I can't take anymore. I have static pain and groin pain if I do too much and that does not go away with the drugs...so I get tired and need a sleep. So I do enough but not over exert it just not worth it. ☹️
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom