TKR And the Beat Goes On in Jazzabelle's Recovery

How much are you icing and elevating and what activities are you doing? If you're doing a lot combined with PT 3x/week, I wonder if you might be creating more swelling?
Sometimes people are truly "stuck" but for a lot of people it's just the swelling.

I hit a plateau from about week 4-6 where I wasn't gaining bend. But I continued icing a lot and did very little exercise outside of PT and at about week 6 I just barely cracked 90. In the next few weeks (I was released from PT at 6 weeks) I continued to gain, just doing the same thing.

One interesting thing--One of the things my PT did was use the GameReady ice/compression machine. (It's very intense so I think she only left it on about 10-15 minutes.) She actually measured the knee before and after and there was a measurable difference in the swelling. Maybe a couple of millimeters, I'm not sure, but in any case, after icing like that I could bend a little bit more. It wasn't "permanent" but it did illustrate to me that the issue was the swelling.
 
7 weeks now. 7 weeks with no change in my ROM what-so-ever. Unless you count going backwards. I have had no success with all my resting, icing, elevating, gentle PT, other than being well rested and relaxed (which does count for a lot)... But now I will follow the advice of my OS and I will be having an MUA on Thursday. I am not frightened to do it. I am anxious to get back to a life where I can drive, climb stairs, hike, even sit without elevating, WORK. The wooden leg thing is just not working for me.

Thank you, Bonesmart, for all your helpful advise. I wish it had worked for me.​
 
Best wishes for a good result.
 
Good luck on Thursday. I pray it works for you!
 
Good luck with your MUA. I have read where others on here have had great results, and I hope you do too.
 
Thank you for your good wishes. I am feeling optimistic.

@jboles, I see that you are about to have your second knee done in two days! All the very best to you! Right now I can't imagine going through this again. On the other hand, I know the left will need the same down the road. I hope to bleed that "down the road" for a bit. You are a brave one!
 
Best wishes for Thursday.
remember that after an MUA your knee will have had some soft tissues re-injured.
Treat your knee gently. Don't overdo the exercising. All you need to do is keep your knee moving gently.
 
@AgilityDog , I did use and still do use my hiking poles. Of all the tools I've used to ensure stability while walking, I get the most natural gait when using my poles. I've used them for many years before my TKR when backpacking. They are like extensions to my arms now.
 
It has been a week since I had my MUA. Thank you, @pdx for reminding me to get back on here and give an update. It has been a journey and I am really quite ready for this to all come to completion. I know, I know... be patient, Grasshopper. :bored:
One aspect of an MUA I underestimated was the degree in which my leg would be put to sleep with nerve block. It was like coming out of the dentist and you are so numb you keep biting your cheek by accident. Except it was me forgetting that the leg was perfectly useless for balance. I am sporting a very colorful bruise on my shoulder from one such episode.
I have to admit that the aggressive PT I have had this week has brought surprising and significant results. Where I was unable to acheive even 60 degrees of flextion before the manipulation, I can manage 125 degrees now just one week post op. It has not been without pain and effort, however. I can manage 90 degrees on my own with my leg dangling from the edge of the table, but not in a slide. I am able to cycle full round now, but with considerable effort. My walking gait is still stiff and awkward, almost like it was before the MUA.
I have just 5 more days of insurance covered PT. I will see it through with the final goal being getting back to work. Once I get cleared for that I will have maxed out my PT, I will relax and begin my phase back in stage, limiting my actions to those that are more natural, like:walking:and :swim:.
Did I really need the MUA? I can't say for certain. But it did get me to get tough with PT, which I know is not the Bone Smart way, but it seems it was the "Jazzabelle" way. So, no regrets. :puppysmooze:
 
  • Like
Reactions: pdx
Thanks a bunch! @Jazzabelle I want to hike again. A local Pharmacy has wooden hiking sticks. They have spikes on the end and a cushion/cup on the tip. I'm considering.... what do you think?
I can only speak to my experience. I have and use two poles made out of a metal of some kind. I find I am most comfortable using the two at once. It feels more balanced for me. The metal points are important for traction when you are not on pavement or are indoors. But the rubber tips are equally important when indoors. The metal points would tear up your flooring in no time. @AgilityDog, go into the store where they have the poles and try them out. Spend a good bit of time with them. I'm guessing you'll find you love them.
 
Thanks. I was thinking, 2 now & then either 2 while hiking or let my DH use one on the trail. I will do more research on weight. I don't want them to be too heavy
 
@AgilityDog , if you decide that the wooden ones are too heavy, there are many opportunities to buy the metal ones online. Besides being lighter and more durable, the advantage with the metal poles is that they are adjustable to your height and reach, and collapsible for taking less room when they are not in use. Good luck and have fun!
 
Good hearing from you, and here's to continuing success.
 
Back
Top Bottom