TKR Almost one year later

The length of this recovery varies for all of us, and it takes a lot of patience. Personally, I will never allow the Graston technique to be used on me. I shudder to think of it! In my opinion it is an aggressive technique, though we are all different, and Helizabug didn’t mind it.

I think it’s still to early to try these things you’ve mentioned. You’re about 1/3 the way healed, and where you are now is not where you will end up.

I understand how hard it is to be patient with this recovery. My ROM was poor my whole first year. But, it improved quite a bit in my second year, and has improved even more, now in my third year post op.

During my first year post op I read many posts here where the advisors said to be patient, the ROM will come. I had all kinds of doubts. But, now I have the long term proof that they were right.
 
When you say "limited ROM," what exactly do you mean? Do you know numbers or things you cannot do at this point? These folks are correct that you can have lots of improvement in the coming months.

There are people who have MUA's at your stage and even later if they are really needed. If actually have adhesions, they can be surgically removed. But, you're letting your mind run away with you and it's way too soon to worry about adhesions. They are actually not a common thing after joint replacement surgery. It's more likely that your knee is just healing on its own time schedule, which is what all our knees do. You cannot rush it. Stiffness is common during the first year (and sometimes even later) after surgery.

You mention you have "continued pain." What does that mean? When do you get pain, where is it and how severe is it on that famous 1-10 scale? What makes it worse? What makes it better? Are you taking anything for it? If so, what, dose, and how often?

More than likely, you're doing too much for your knee at this stage of your recovery and that's resulting in the stiffness (which is actually a form of pain) and the actual pain itself. So it would also be helpful to know what a normal day looks like for you. What activities, work, exercise, therapy, household chores, errand running, and more are you up to?

You can try massage or the Graston technique or cupping. Just be sure that none of them are done to the point of pain. That would be counter productive. I'll ask @Pumpkln to come talk about these options for you.
 
And, I’ll add to this conversation two things.

First, I have a weird sensory system, so some things that hurt other people feel fine to me and vice versa.

So, and this the second thing, make sure any practitioner starts slow and easy and lets up when you ask them to.

in my experience with lots of PT and massage, you have to establish that YOU are trying it NOT THEM. It matters how it feels to YOU, how helpful it is to YOU. My rule is ‘no trauma for me.’

(Though I’m still considering an MUA, which is more trauma for my knee, so . . .:shrug:)
 
Montana,
The most important thing regardless of the technique you seek out, is the skill of the practitioner. Be sure you seek out someone who will listen to you and stop when you let them know it is too much.
Wether any of these techniques will help you with "scar" tissue is not a given.
You are still very early in recovery and need to give your knee more time to heal.
 
Thank you for your advice especially about alternative therapies. Since I am going to a clinic where one of the practitioners does the Grastontechnique I will talk to him. I am impatient to return to what was a very active lifestyle. I thought I would be there by now. I am seventy years old and feel as if this surgery aged me ten years. My life has shrunk to the basics: household chores, shopping, cooking, taking care of the dog. I do gentle knee exercises and weather permitting walk about six blocks every day. With any activity like standing, walking or sitting my knee swells, stiffens and intrudes on my consciousness enough that I take a Norco. If I had to give it a number I’d say 5-6on the 10 scale. I don’t have a high tolerance for pain. I am going to see a physical therapist once a week and he measured my rom at 90. It’s hard to accept that my recovery is this slow. My sister broke her hip this past Thanksgiving and is now on a plane to Australia for a three week trip.
 
@Montana I really can relate. I am having a difficult time deciding whether or not my ‘no aggressive PT’ approach is a good one, particularly because I had this surgery for the purpose of creating wholeness throughout my life, which includes an active lifestyle.

I will say that in my case, my pain level has been low and my sleep has been good. I am chalking that up to the BoneSmart approach, even though not everyone gets those results when they adhere to the gentler way that BoneSmart teaches.

So, I hope you will be guided by the idea that pain probably won’t pay off, and ask your therapist to ease up if the work gets too harsh.
 
Whether you are 70 or 30 the energy drain is the same for just about everybody. This surgery is extremely hard on our bodies and it takes lot of time to heal from it. As we are healing our body is concentrating mostly on the knee. This result is extreme tiredness. Don't worry though, your energy will come back and you will be better than you were before your surgery because you'll have that new, less painful knee!
 
I am impatient to return to what was a very active lifestyle. I thought I would be there by now. I am seventy years old and feel as if this surgery aged me ten years. My life has shrunk to the basics: household chores, shopping, cooking, taking care of the dog. I do gentle knee exercises and weather permitting walk about six blocks every day.
I thinknthat you're expecting too much of yourself and your knee, too soon.
Complete recovery from a knee replacement takes a full year, so you have plenty of time yet for improvement.
The thing is, that you have to use every ounce of patience you can find.
At 4 months after surgery, you are only one third of the way to full recovery.
Your level of activity is about normal for this stage.
Activity progression for TKRs

I know it's hard, but try to remember this:
[Bonesmart.org] Almost one year later



It’s hard to accept that my recovery is this slow. My sister broke her hip this past Thanksgiving and is now on a plane to Australia for a three week trip.
Hips heal faster than knees. That's because the knee is a far more complex joint than the hip. So please don't compare your knee's recovery to your sister's hip recovery.
TKR or THR: which is more difficult surgery for recovery?
 
I had a left total knee replacement on 9/16/2019. I am disappointed and frustrated with the outcome and I need to know how to go forward. My flexion is only at 80-85. I experience Almost constant pain. Now what? Is this arthrofibrosis? What can be done at this point short of a revision.
 
@Montana - I'm sorry you're still having trouble with your knee.
I've merged your new knee thread with your old thread, because they're all part of the same story - your knee's recovery journey.

It's almost a year now since you had your knee replaced. It's time to go back to your surgeon and talk about your knee.

In fact, it would be a good idea to look for a second opinion, from a surgeon who specializes in problem knees. These surgeons see problem knees every working day and they can often suggest a solution that eludes your original surgeon.
 
Please let me know if you need help finding a revision surgeon. I'll try to locate some within a reasonable distance from you.
 
I would appreciate a referral to a surgeon in my area who specializes in problem knees. I live in Santa Rosa, California and can travel to most places in the San Francisco Bay Area. Thank you so much.
 
I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. Here are some suggestions for you in the San Francisco area:

Dr. James Huddleston
Stanford Medical Outpatient Center
Redwood City, CA
Hip and knee revisions

Dr. John Dearborn
Co-director of The Institute for Joint Restoration.
2000 Mowry Ave
Fremont, CA 94538
510-818-7200
Primary and revision hip and knee
 
Back
Top Bottom