Guest viewing is limited

TKR Algarve46 coming over from pre operative thread

Still a lot of work to be done to get the knee fully flexible and that will take a while yet.
Yes, it will take a while, but there is not a lot of work to be done. Your knee will bend, all on it‘s own, as your swelling goes down and as you heal. All you need are gentle bends to give your knee mobility.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
:wave:Was just wondering how youre getting along, I'm surprised your surgeon only wants to see you in 6 months, the last time I saw my surgeon was at 3 months and I'm booked in with the head surgeon at Faro hospital at 6 months in June.
Finally I'm doing ok it's been a bit of a slog with this knee but yesterday was my first day out minus any aids whatsoever, I'm still conscious that this implant exists but a whole lot better than before, I even managed 4 hours at Mar shopping last weekend.
Are you doing much physio?
Looking forward to hearing your update.
 
5 weeks after LTKR surgery and another small milestone reached yesterday when I was able to drive the car again. :loveshwr::loveshwr: My wife is delighted as she is no longer required to be my personal chauffeur.
ROM and extension still not brilliant as there is still a general stiffness and swelling around the knee. However, things are very slowly improving. The surgery incision wound has healed brilliantly and I'm sure that in a few more weeks it will be barely visible.
I need to work on my gait as I still have to concentrate on making certain I bend the knee when walking rather than adopting the more natural / lazy "stiff legged" method. I'm still icing and elevating regularly as the knee is quick to let me know when it is time to rest.
Generally the first 5 weeks have been easily manageable physically although some days are much better than others. The mental challenge is the one that has taken me a little by surprise. Some days, for no reason at all, it is really difficult to stay positive, but thankfully that passes.
 
@Sara61 Good to hear that you are finally getting back to normal although 4 hours at Mar shopping sounds like punishment to me.
I have been really lucky with my physio, who has a very gentle and sympathetic approach and never pushes me beyond where I am happy to go. However, I find it helps me as I know for sure she encourages me to work harder than I would do on my own. I have been doing 3 sessions a week and will continue at that rate until the end of May.
 
That's a great update and all sounds normal for 5 weeks post surgery, it will improve as each week passes.
I can so relate to the stiff legged walk, I'm constantly reminding myself to bend that knee, I know it will eventually be normal as the left one works fine
Stairs are my biggest issue, and I think it's a mind block as I can stand on one leg fine it holds my weight but for the life of me I cannot go up or down stairs normally- at physio no problem at all.
Warm weather will also improve our wellbeing x
 
:ok:on driving, it's the best feeling when we get our independence back, nothing nicer than not having to rely on someone to take us somewhere, I have a very low BMW convertible and for me to drive it is a huge achievement as to get in & out with normal joints is difficult enough so with both knees replaced it's a miracle, I'm now driving it with pride.
I'm sure your wife will be now happy that you can drive too.
Mood swings are also very normal, this surgery is complicated, suddenly we become dependent, walking fast which once was easy suddenly becomes an uncertainty, so its easy for our mental thoughts to become darker, but as you gain confidence these mood swings will become lesser, I think only those whom have had something replaced fully under stands the complexity of this year long recovery..
Yes! 4 hours in Mar Shopping was pretty dire was so relieved to sit in the car heading home :heehee:
Happy Sunday :martini:
 
@Sara61 I'll drink to that. Enjoy your "top down" driving as summer is definitely on the way.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom