Al Roker's Recovery is NOT normal!

All I know is I asked if my OS did the quad sparing surgery he said no he has not been trained in it. I called a few others after that meeting, got the same answer. Sorry I don't have more details. @Celle @Josephine

Yes, I frustrated with Al. I usually enjoy al's stories and enjoyed his gastric bypass info as I also had gastric bypass. I enjoy his positive outlook in general, but am very frustrated by this. I will be having a tkr 2 weeks before christmas and fear that I will hear grief from relatives that I am not able/willing to travel for a family gathering. After all if al can go back to work, why can't ride in the car for an hour to an hour and a half to get to them for a family gathering.
We have invited them all to our house and were hopeful they would pitch in to bring the food or that they would accept a meal catered from our local supermarket. Al going back to work at 2 weeks does a disservice to all us "normal patients"

I will say, he seemed pretty loopy on pain meds yesterday when I watched the show

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be having a tkr 2 weeks before christmas and fear that I will hear grief from relatives that I am not able/willing to travel for a family gathering. After all if al can go back to work, why can't ride in the car for an hour to an hour and a half to get to them for a family gathering.
Recovering from a TKR is your time. You need to put yourself first. Relatives will have to learn to accept that, and that a knee replacement takes longer to recover from than a hip replacement. This year, let them organise themselves.
I already gave you this article in the Pre-op area, but here it is again:
Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help

@OUCH! I agree with Celle 100%. This is YOU time. You do what you want, what you feel able to do AND NOT ONE BIT MORE. And don't feel guilty about it, either. ME time is so important during this recovery.

Well Al is still on pain meds and ticking people off. A bunch of mothers were upset about a comment he made concerning how often they feed their babies and were posting to his twitter account. Al blamed his pain meds. I couldn't believe he was smacking his knees and rubbing both of them.

OMG! I learned how to tweet just to let him know

@alroker Congratulations on your new knee. I fear people will assume your recovery is typical. Us mere mortals may not recover as fast.

@alroker maybe a segment on typical TKR recovery so families and bosses understand what to expect of those of us following your lead?

@OUCH! I am impressed, you learned how to tweet!

For you and others, here is the link:
http://www.today.com/health/al-roker-s-road-recovery-after-knee-surgery-leads-him-t104278

I did a screen shot, marked where you click with red arrows. It is part way down on this page, I did not find it easily the first time, so I hope this will help.
a comment.jpg

I tweeted! I know he meant well, but he's setting us up to be compared, for sure. I like Celle's post about the man who went back to work st 3 weeks. It was really his WIFE who went to work 24/7.

I think his scar has had some serious grooming and probably makeup. If any one of us had someone select and dress us in freshly laundered clothes, bring a private car to our door, help us into our office and cater to our every need, while being adequately medicated-- we could get thru an hour. Then we would be pampered, driven home, helped even more, and receive the attention of a nation - we could do it. Fact is, we and 99% of TKRs aren't rich and famous with all the luxuries that he has. I'm pretty darn proud I take my own shower and found two socks that match! I hope we all tweet or comment. I got a call from my MIL encouraging me to watch "Al". The innuendos about me being a slacker made me get off the phone quickly. [emoji35]

Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16

@sheliac I think you should copy and paste the above on the website - I gave the link further up. ESPECIALLY that part about the MIL. It really shows that Al has an impact on the public perception of this recovery. Anyway, thank you for taking the time to tweet!

Alot of it is illusion. Notice he is sitting most of the time. Never onscreen for more than about 7 to 10 mins. On off screen time he could be iced and elevated. His segments standing are very short too. I agree he is doing a very disingenuous portrayal of tkr recovery.

@dianehelen I would encourage you to share that last sentence in either a tweet or as a comment. Thank you for considering this.

Lara Spencer from Good Morning America took at least a month for her THR. Even that isn't a lot, but it's better than 2 weeks.

I want to believe that Al Roker's recovery segments are meant to be inspirational in nature, but then I saw the video where his physical therapist noted that his ROM for his new knee is 135 degrees two weeks after surgery, and I decided to not follow his future progress as I don't want any negativity to impact my upcoming TKR...even my GOOD knee can't flex to 135 degrees!!!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Lara Spencer from Good Morning America took at least a month for her THR. Even that isn't a lot, but it's better than 2 weeks.

And SHE is 26 years old and an athlete and hers was a congenital issue. Al is 60 and not an athelete.. so... back to his disingenuous portrayal

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Forum statistics

Threads