Hip Arthroscopy Active life long Martial artist - Post surgery recovery feedback

Well, looks like both my primary surgeon and the second opinion are aligned and we have some action items. Bursitis on the side of my hip and then hip flexor tendonitis is more than likely the culprit for the front of hip pain and buckling. I am getting a new MRI arthrogram to check if there are any new tears but both do not thing that is likely and it should just confirm the bursitis / tendonitis. Started taking Meloxicam 1x day for the next 7-10 days to see if that can help knock down the inflammation as well as modify PT and activity level for a while. The 2nd surgeon did suggest that a steroid shot into the hip flexor was greatly help me pain wise and help move this thing forward. I have decided to wait until the MRI results come back to say yes or no to that. Have already had 6 steroid shots to the hip joint over the past 2 years so really not wanting to have anymore in my body.

Again will update on results and PT progress as it develops. Thank again everyone!
 
Follow up with surgeon, 2nd opinion and MRI arthrogram.

The MRI did show a “very subtle” linear tear in my posterior labrum but my surgeon did not seem to be too bothered by it. Both my primary and secondary agree that I have bursitis on the side of my hip and potentially hip flexor tendinitis. Decided against another steroid shot since I’ve had 6 in the past 2 years so we aligned to take Meloxicam for 30 days and rest. After about a week it seemed to start working cause for the first time in over a month my pain was back down to a 0.

My surgeon did give me another surgeon who specializes in “micro hip instability” if after the 30 days we cannot keep my pain under control with gradual increase of activity / load. 12 months post op is still the timeline everyone is on board with so just over half way there.

Hopefully this reset will help me move in the right direction without anymore procedures.
 
Hopefully this reset will help me move in the right direction without anymore procedures.
We'll wish and hope right along with you. :thumb: Please keep us posted.
 
I would definitely recommend seeking opinions from doctors who work with active people on a regular basis. It's been a game-changer for me.

I'm an extremely active person, and I have to have a doctor/team of doctors who understands that I'm not going to stop doing my activities, and instead of telling me to stop, they help me find ways to work around limitations and modify my training to stay healthy.

I'm currently recovering from total shoulder replacement, and I'm scheduled for a total hip in May.

FWIW, I had pretty much the same thing you had done on your hip, on my shoulder, but ultimately the arthritis was so bad I had to get a total replacement.

Anyway... both my surgeons are optimistic they can help me return to my ridiculous activity levels, and the moral of the story I specifically search for doctors with a sports medicine background.

The right doctor who understands wear you do with your body can work with you to adapt it so it doesn't cause damage/pain.

Best of luck with your recovery!

For reference, my pre-op weekly schedule was: ~15-20hrs groundskeeping, ~2-3hrs weight training, ~12hrs BJJ/Judo (I own/run a dojo).
 
Thank you Mat for your insight!

I had my apt with a new surgeon that my primary recommended based on my continued pain. He specializes in sport medicine and micro joint instability. After reviewing all my previous scans, surgery photos, and examine my hip he didn’t take any time to confirm my labrum has re-torn and my hip capsule is not sealed. Through in the mild hip dysplasia as well and his recommendation at a minimum is revision arthroscopy for the 3rd time. Difference in this one would be a total reconstruction of the labrum using a graph from a donor and hip capsule. He will also shave down an additional cam lesion he found on my femur.

Have a 3D CT hip scan scheduled for Friday and a follow up on 3/28 after the image is rendered to discuss next steps. Hopefully the dysplasia is mild as he suspects and don’t need the larger POA surgery.

Kinda in disbelief, shock and sick to my stomach but also happy to hear this opinion and it honestly all makes sense. Will be doing mobility exercises at home til further notice to maintain what RoM I do have til I decide on moving forward with surgery or not.
 
Thank you for updating. Best wishes moving forward.
 
Hi there,
I am sorry for all you're going through. :console2:
Hopefully you have confidence in your OS and trust that you're in good hands.
Best wishes for your CT scan and follow up visit, eggy.
@eggy293
 
Hey everyone, update time and support needed.

Follow up with the surgeon and after reviewing the 3D hip map it was determined my hip dysplasia was worse than he original through and he stated that I will eventually need a THR. With that we then discussed what my options are at this point now that we are in hip preservation mode given my age and the fact I do have a health overall joint (no arthritis).

Option #1: PAO surgery + Labrum reconstruction
Option #2: Pain management with steroid shots and lifestyle modification until my joint deteriorates enough to where I am a candidate for THR.

PAO surgery is a very massive surgery with a very lengthy recovery (12+ month). So it is taking me a lot to wrap my head around it. My surgeon (Dr. Evanson) is one of 2 in the DFW area who specialize in this surgery and he plus my original and 2nd opinion all agree I do not need a total hip at the time.

Very interesting how life throws you curveballs.
 
Hi :angel:

I took option 2. I didn't start out with arthritis either but it eventually turned up and I then had a THR in Nov 2024. It fixed absolutely everything. I wish you the best of luck with your decision.
Option #2: Pain management with steroid shots and lifestyle modification until my joint deteriorates enough to where I am a candidate for THR.
 
How long did it take for arthritis to set in and you get your THR?
 
Hello :loveshwr:

My original scans at diagnosis of hip dysplasia pus impingement didn't show arthritis but 2.5 years later it was there. My mum believes the arthroscopy surgery that I had escalated it along. But I have no regrets. I no longer have to manage my hip.
 
Interesting.. I am approx. 2 years from my 1st hip arthroscopy and 10 months from my 2nd hip arthroscopy and currently no arthritis. I would be lying if I said I wasn't thinking the same thing regarding the impact of those surgeries on the joint and what it might mean for PAO recovery and timing of when a THR would be needed.
 
Update on my end.. Currently scheduled for a RPAO and labrum reconstruction on August 1st. It is a big surgery and still very much nervous about it but believe it is for the best to give me the greatest shot at pushing out a THR and being able to get back to normal without restrictions.
 
Back
Top Bottom