TKR Acceptance and Understanding<

Since I had no formal PT yesterday, I iced and elevated majority of the day. Had PT this morning and my knee felt rested. I made it through, it wasn’t that bad today. Guess what? For some unknown reason, I was surprisingly able to do a straight leg lift! Surprised the heck out of myself! Huge milestone for me and my knee! Now I’m icing, waiting for nurse visit, then back to doing my new exercise regimen when nobody’s looking.... ice and elevate, walk to get water, potty, then nap, and repeat. My knee seems to like my version of the Bonesmart way. :egypdance::yes!::happydance::yay::flwrysmile:
 
@sistersinhim I would give it 100% of the Bonesmart way if I didn’t have to please anyone other than myself. So for now, I’ll take those days off I have no formal PT (when nobody knows what, or what I am not doing), and rest, ice, elevate, do it the Bonesmart way, and when I need to appease my doctors, physical therapist, daughter, insurance company, then I’ll gently work the exercises expected of me. I believe in the Bonesmart philosophy of recovery.
 
Does your PT give you exercises to do while you are there, and then just walk away? If so, then you could fake it! They'd have no idea how much force you were putting behind those movements. Keeping it slow and easy is the best way!
 
He comes to the house. 1x last Friday, 3 x this week, then I think a couple more next week. Eyes on me like a hawk. In couple weeks I’ll go to outpatient PT. There they don’t really pay attention to close. I’m one week out from my surgery today. He wants me to practice using my cane. I’m still wobbly using my walker because my left knee hurts like the dickens and is a newly cut/hammered/ chiseled/ piece of bone and meat. Geez what do these non-replacement people expect? It boggles my mind. Doesn’t anybody understand what my body’s been through? I’m not a spring chicken.
 
It's way too early to try walking with one cane yet. If PT tells you to do something and it hurts, just tell him that your knee's not quite ready for that yet, that you'll try it is a few days. You can always keep bumping it back to the next time. He can't force you to do anything. Just act like you try to do it and then stop if it hurts.
 
I am so happy that you have learned quickly. Yes, listening and following what we advise is proof in itself that it's the best way.
Even today I did a little too much by doing some cooking in the kitchen with standing around too much. I felt it start to hurt and then I decided to finally sit down and rest it and take my overdue pain medication.
But because I over did it some and waited too long to take my oxycodone, I am still kind of hurting three hours later. See, I have to take my own advice and I forget sometimes.
But I am glad you are feeling a little bit better. I advise you to continue using your walker which is the most safe thing for you right now. My doctor said the Walker is fine for as many weeks as I need it to have a better gait pattern.
As far as exercise goes, I am doing three or four different ones but just minimally and mostly in pain free range.
I have never had a problem with straight leg raise, but bending is another story. Slow bender over here and I'm probably still in the 70s. 16 days out today.
But I'm not going to get worried about it because this is my story and the usual for me. I can't bend it when it's swollen like this.
I see my surgeons PA for my first postop visit tomorrow. It's possible he may not like my lack of bend, or if he asks what about the exercises, I'll have to be careful with my words.
I know that most doctors and their staff are very brainwashed into thinking that stressing and pushing it is the only successful way to go.
But I will tell him that I've done this three times now and I know how my body reacts, and I have to listen to it or I am miserable. I win this conversation because it's my knee and my decision.
I just wish you could get a little more pain relief to make you a little happier camper.
 
Walkers, canes... they're both tools. You use the tool you think is best for you and use it happily. The cane can wait until you feel ready. The day will come when you are.

I agree outpatient PT leaves you a bit more alone. Mine would wander off to tend to his other patients. At those times I just did the exercises as I pleased. Sometimes I would tell him I wouldn't do an exercise, but wanted to do something else I found more helpful. "What about the cones? I would like to do cones now." I think most therapists are adaptable to a patient who is engaged in their own recovery.
 
Had my surgery jan 10,2018. Everything is progressing but I still can't make the whole grocery store round. No pt- I didn't want anymore handling. If it hurts to sit, stand, shuffle around. I use arnica gel for random pain ( Walmart). Hang in there---- it gets better every day- small bit by small bit
 
I feel something isn’t right inside my knee. Two nights in a row excruciating pain wakes me up. When I finally nod off after multiple attempts bam! I’m exhausted. Nurse checked me yesterday and all vitals are good. I’m getting very bad pain behind, on sides of knee. I feel like I’m regressing not progressing. I even had myself convinced during the night that I’m riddled with infection. How can pain get worse and not better 8 days after surgery? This knee is more painful and swollen than my rtkr was. The nurse comes again tomorrow, what questions should I ask her to help me understand what’s going on? I feel like a whimp lately because I can’t tolerate the pain, and I always thought I had a high tolerance. I want this over so badly I’d sell my soul.
 
@Jockette, my PT had me step over a series of cones set out in a straight line. The cones looked like mini-traffic cones, about six inches high. I did these when I graduated to using a cane. The exercise helped with balance and building confidence. I found it infinitely more fun and useful than pulling on a strap until my knee hurt. :oyvey:
 
Oh god please help me get through this
 
Did you have PT yesterday? If you exercised your knee yesterday, that might explain why you are in more pain today. Knees can have good days and bad days. Did you do anything unusual yesterday or last night?
 
@Needhope This recovery is a rollercoaster. Some days will be better or worse than others. Get that firmly into your mind now because it will continue for months. You are 1 week into a 52 week recovery. Your body still doesn’t know what hit it! It’s going to be ok eventually. We are here with you all the way! :console2:

And @SusieShoes , stepping over 6” cones? For balance? And you thought it was fun? :yikes:
It scared me just reading about it! :rotfl:
 
Last edited:
I understand that... today isn’t one of those good days.
 
Back
Top Bottom