TKR A couple questions

loneshark64

Country
United States United States
Hi, having left knee done in January. Have been waiting many years to get as far along as possible age-wise, and I have had 5 surgeries on this knee along the way since hurting it in 1982. I have a couple big screws in my tibia from an ACL surgery in 1997 and the surgeon says it is tricky to get them out but that will happen in my surgery. Question is, does this make the recovery a bit more difficult or is it pretty much par for the course?

My other question is that it turns out now I will be going from United Healthcare (not a fan) to Harvard Pilgrim (had them years ago and they were fine) on Jan 1. The surgeon/hospital is in network for Harvard Pilgrim so that is no problem and I assume the Dr will deal with the approvals with the insurance. But, I am a little concerned that I am a new signup for the insurance company and the first month I am showing up with a big bill. I am not looking to hose them and the timing wasn't my intention, and anyway this needs to get done now or soon. Is there a way the insurance company can hold me up just for being a new customer? I believe with Obamacare still in place it's just a classic pre-existing condition situation so they are legally not able to kick me off. But they could perhaps make me jump through hoops. Any thoughts?

and the surgeon says it is tricky to get them out but that will happen in my surgery. Question is, does this make the recovery a bit more difficult or is it pretty much par for the course?
While this is tricky for the surgeon I don’t think it will overly affect your recovery. There is a lot of man handling in this procedure anyway, that we have to recover from.

Hopefully your new insurance will not be a problem. Can you talk with them ahead of time to get some answers? And if there are problems I think your surgeon’s office will be able to handle them for you.

Here is some pre op reading we give new members:

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

I had one of my ACL repair screws removed, several years ago because it was aggravating something else. I seem to remember them talking, during the surgery about how they didn’t have the right tool to remove it, and how hard it was to get out. I think the surgeon even joked about putting his foot on something for leverage. They managed, though, and I remember them asking if I wanted to take home the screw, I said yes, and I still have it.

The other screw came out with this TKR, and, while the surgeon mentioned it to my husband, it didn’t seem notable. My recovery seems pretty average. So I doubt it will have a huge effect on your overall outcome, especially considering all the major carpentry going on in there.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member