Guest viewing is limited

THR A 39 year old's recovery

That's interesting. Mine was a regular cortisone shot ie big needle but no catheter. The numbing shots in the beginning was the worst part then just pressure. That must be the difference between ultrasound guided and x-ray guided. Pain wasn't that bad after the numbing stuff wore off. First time I actually felt alot better almost immediately.
 
@aprilc

So what is a lot of walking for 11 weeks? I've read everyone else's posts about going for 1/2+ walks and figured I was way behind that. Just last week I downloaded a pedometer app for my phone and it turns out I'm walking 1.5-3 miles/day without going out on any purposeful walks. Is that a lot? I suppose one popular answer is that it's personal and may be a lot for some and not for others, or that it's only "two much" if it causes you pain during or after.
 
@whiteshoecovers gracious!! That seems alot of distance to cover without being purposeful about it! Both of those distances were well in my future at 11 werks. My max per day without major pain was one mile until well after four months, and I had been at three purposefulvmiles 3-5 times a week until a few months before surgery, when it just wasn't worth the pain any more.
I have a GPS exercise app on my phone called iRunner. The first time I used it, it told me that I had gone 1/4 mile in the 30 minutes between getting up and eating breakfast. NOT possible!!! I have found it to be quite accurate if I am moving in a straight line for 10's or hundreds of feet or more at a time, but around the house it is useless :lol: It's my understanding that pedometers count a small shuffle in the kitchen the same as an actual stride. Maybe you do actually walk more than you think across parking lots and from building to building/down long hallways/on stairs at work!
How are you doing generally? :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
@whiteshoecovers I had to laugh when I read your post because I've been doing exactly what you have been doing: tracking my steps during the day without any planned walk. I'm using one of those tiny FitBit Pedometers and I wear it all of the time -- even at night. I'm 18 weeks from my RTHR ( getting ready for the left one next week). My daily totals are less than yours (yeah you!). I have been hovering around the 2 mile + mark but have not made it to 3 miles yet. What I have found really interesting is that FitBit syncs with my IPad and I can look back at my activity which has been steadily increasing. Does your app do that as well?
 
Yes and yes, it's all dependent on the person. I personally think I (and perhaps you) have had so many hip issues for so long our compensation patterns make it harder to get back to normal. I too bought a fitbit bc I was constantly overdoing it. It never felt like I had done much but blam, I'd be walking and suddenly become exhausted and in pain and could barely move out the pain would set in later. So if your current distance is cool with your hip (and it will tell you if it's not) then it's all good. If not figure out your max and then make sure you don't get there with your pedometer.
 
@zauberflöte For most any exercise I agree a GPS would be better, but I think for my case at least a pedometer is actually superior since I also want to capture small steps and moving about. I don't take the milage too seriously rather use it as a gauge for how active I've been that day. For instance we are moving house and I spent Sunday cleaning the new place and racked up 2.8 miles without leaving the house... it's big but not that big. But I feel that in terms of hip activity 2.8 miles is spot on compared to an easy walk of that distance.

@aprilc Slight change of injection plans. They are going to hit my adductor, pectinius and psoas and in-fact do it in his office since fluro is not required for those, only ultrasound as stated.
 
I wanted to add this as a reference for my pain location: I am D, E, and F:R3F. It seems to start hight at DR3F and go down the worse it gets. I've had adductor and pectineous injections with no relief and am still waiting on the psoas injection. Could this still be psoas or is it too low?

To "celebrate" my 12 week mark I took my bicycle out for less than 1/2 mi as easy as could be and last night was very painful. That does not seem right.

[Bonesmart.org] A 39 year old's recovery
 
@whiteshoecovers I would say, more than where the pain is, can you lift your leg to get into the car? Can you do straight leg raises while laying down without pain? Can you lift your leg while standing to put your pants on?
 
@aprilc The most painful is the straight leg raise while laying down, especially if I am externally rotated (toes pointed out), it is actually very difficult to do and if I get it up once I probably won't get it up twice. The other things I can do but with some level of pain. The pain on the right side of my abdomen is getting worse, my guess is that's because those muscles are taking over for the ones in my leg that have shut down. And I do also have a lot of pain on the outside of my thigh down to my knee.

Believe it or not I still have yet to get the psoas injection. It's been a comedy of errors with Dr's and scheduling around here, I want to scream (and punch someone in the face). Now I am scheduled for July 8.

I hear you big time about compensation patterns our bodies have developed over years, and am afraid I am in the same boat. Though now I feel there is still an obstacle in the way of me even starting to train my muscles to work correctly since I cannot do anything without it being painful.
 
@whiteshoecovers - I feel that you have indicated the same area as me but mine is uncomfortable not like your pain.
I believe it does involve psoas attachment but also the abdominal muscles - practically every muscle around the hip
joint. They have all been affected by our surgery (s).

When I started to feel pain in the groin area, I stopped doing the prescribed PT and was kind to myself. After a few
days I modified some of the exercises and continued. At this point I felt I knew my body better than anyone else.
The major thing is getting used to how the entire body moves differently and it's assorted aches and pains.

Hope you can get this worked out. Walking, yoga and swimming has helped me. Next thing is to get advanced
bodywork.

Have a safe and pain - free 4th of July !
 
@whiteshoecovers can't wait to hear about the results of the psoas injection. It will be very clear (it last it was for me), just took like a day for the weirdness of the injection to wear out.

Keep me posted!
 
@aprilc Can you please help manage my expectations for this injection? Shouldn't I expect some immediate and significant relief for the first few hours if positive? Then maybe some more lasting relief that doesn't kick in until about a week out?

I went and saw another hip surgeon today for another opinion. He's at the Uni here so very experienced with a wide range of cases. He confirmed that my implant is perfectly placed, but did immediately go to psoas and recommend that I get an injection (before I told him that I already had one scheduled). I really wonder why my surgeon wasn't so concerned about my psoas. I can't beleive he's naive. Maybe from being in there he knows something we don't. Either way we'll see in about a week. I'll re-post good or bad after the shot.
 
@whiteshoecovers For me it felt weird initially because a bunch of medicine had been shot in there but within a few hours I noticed a significant improvement in my ROM. Like I could lift my leg higher then ever before. I don't remember getting a cortisone flare afterwards it just seemed to get better and stay better for a few weeks only though.

It took my doctor a while to get to the psoas as well. The THR surgeon have me a shot in my bursa first then sent me for a shot in the joint space then finally for an ultrasound. I got 2 shots.. The ultrasound doc said one might take care of it, maybe a second and if not then psoas release. Second one lasted for less time then first one. Only 4% of thr patients have the psoas rubbing problem, at least that what I've read.
 
@aprilc awesome thanks. The idea of my psoas being the culprit has haunted me. Dr Meyers who did my sports hernia surgery said he "saw" that my psoas was very scared over and when he learned that his surgery did not give me any relief he suggested a hip scope to clean up (I guess release) my psoas. I even had him talk with my hip scope surgeon Brian White, but for one reason or another Dr White didn't buy it so we moved on. With this in my head I was sure to bring it up with my THA surgeon but he too said that he does not touch the psoas in his procedure, and after the replacement said that from what he could tell it's fine. Of course I am not a surgeon and have no idea what these guys see in these different procedures or what it's supposed to look like. At this point I really don't care what the solution is or who finds it, just that we can figure it out and I can progress.
 
I certainly hope you find relief. A few posts back someone was saying the pain went up into the abdomen. That can be the psoas, it does entend into the abdomen.

I must be one of the lucky ones (knock on wood) after the injection deep into the psoas, I found relief and it has lasted.

My OS did not do the procedure but referred me to a radiologist who specializes in injections under fluoroscope.
 
I'm loosing it this afternoon. I'm in so much pain, it's all I can do to make it home at the end of the day. There is so much more I want to do and I'm not even talking sports, even just things like house chores. I try to hide most of it from my wife cause I know it makes her sad too. I thought this would all be but a memory by now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
@whiteshoecovers we understand, lost it with us here we will hold you up. My hubby had no idea what to do for me when my pain went unmanaged. It was pretty ugly. I got depressed pretty quick with the thought it would never end, and then the anxiety started. Hot mess. For me it was minute by minute some days. Reach out, we are with you on this.
 
@whiteshoecovers and @donor (hi again) I am 17 days in after a bilateral anterior approach, no, now 18 as it is 12.30 am in UK, and was also under the deluded impression that this approach was a 'piece of cake' NOT ! It was only after joining bone smart that I realised I was not alone, and one of the people who made me realise was @donor and other great anterior approach hippies.

I too had terrible groin pain in both sides but worse on my right. Which was actually my good leg before the op. It is now undoubtedly the worse.

I stopped all PT and rested a lot. I started to walk about without sticks too early and realised I waddle. Last night was horrendous so I literally rested all day only walking about every hour. I am having problems sleeping.

I have only just seen your post and I really hope you get things sorted ASAP I also hope my groin pain does not last as long as yours. Although I am new to this, only being day 18, I also feel you are doing too much and are pushing yourself too hard. I do hope the injection does the trick though and your positivity returns, as it must feel so disheartening to be in this pain for so long and that nothing seems to work.

I spoke with a work HR colleague today about my concerns that they were expecting me to start working from home. She said they thought I would be further on in my recovery...I said we'll so did I, but the surgeon was a fibber and it's not that easy after all. I pointed out that I will not be working from home and I will not return to work at the 6 week mark if I don't feel ready. I will stick with this now especially as I don't wish to encourage any problems with lingering pain by over doing things.

We are all behind you what ever post op day we are on. I wish I had seen your post before electing for a bilateral on June 15th as at least I would have done it with my eyes wide open instead of rose tinted.

Good luck and keep us posted.
x
 
I don't have the severe groin pain like you, but as another 39 yr old, I most certainly feel the frustration of the hip surgery + setbacks + severe nerve and muscle pain from tweaking new hip = one unhappy camper.

Hang in there!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
We all get it for sure.....if someone really had an experience that was a piece of cake............I freekin want a piece of that cake. :sigh:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom