TKR 9 months post tkr

Could I get my thread title changed to tkr walking instability.
thank you for all your services
 
Your thread title has been updated, if you would like to change it in the future, just let us know here.
 
I am now going into my 5th month post left tkr. I still have knee instability when walking with cane. Nice weather now here and I wish to walk outside but I'm so limited walking with fear of falling. My leg still doesn't feel like an integrated unit, especially below my knee. Once in a awhile my knee just goes out of walking rhythm and I react and feel off balance.
Has anyone else felt walking instability this long into recovery. How to progress with walking? Any ideas would be appreciated.

3 month out, I feel the same. Like it's not really an integrated unit, and I have to really concentrate to move it like the other leg. Such a strange feeling. Like learning to walk, all over again. I use walking poles still, and it helps with the balance, as well as gives support. I can walk further with walking poles, but have to use both, not just one.
 
@Jamie I haven't posted in quite a while. Am now 9 months post LTKR. Still walking with 2 canes outside for balance and stability. Had a pinching or impingement problem in back of my knee, lateral posterior snapping, like some band getting caught inside or catching on something. These events have decreased but still present and the sudden sharp pinching throws me off balance. And since I don't feel completely stable walking outside, I might seek second opinion after 1 year.
Present OS keeps saying give it time and xrays look great. Therapy has me working to strengthen muscles and gives me deep tissue massages recommended by OS.
I've noticed your offering names of revision surgeons in different geographic areas. Could you provide me with a few names of experienced revision surgeons associated with Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC? I would so appreciate this guiding info. Your posts always seem so helpful and responsive.
 
@longisland Jamie is away from the board for a few days. Certainly does sound like you need to see a specialist. Here are several connected with HSS:

Hospital for Special Surgery (HHS) surgeons for knee revisions:
Dr. Bostrom
Dr DeFelice
Dr. Della Valle
Dr. Jerebek
Dr. Westrich

Best of luck with this! Do keep us updated.

You will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. Thanks!
 
thank you Jaycey for your helpful response. I appreciate all the responses and information bonesmart has offered. You and Pumpkin and Jamie have been so helpful. Stay healthy.
 
I just popped back in to check alerts and the names Jaycey gave you are from my list. All are fine surgeons, but I have specifically worked with Dr. Della Valle in years past and would highly recommend him. He's such a nice man on top of being a good surgeon.
 
Don't know if this would help, I have trouble with muscle spasms along the IT band which is behind the knee on the outside of the leg, sometimes up the thigh through to my hip. It spasms if I do too much, I have used the roller and also warm packs when its tight and spasming.
My PT gave me good advice. He said that the reason for the IT band problems is because my thigh muscle ie the one that runs to the top of the knee, is weak and until I strengthen it, I will have trouble with the tightness behind the knee and on the outside of the leg. He gave some exercises to do to strengthen the thigh muscle and also my hips. Interestingly, I had been riding a stationary bike daily for a year before surgery and he said that biking doesn't do what you would think with that thigh muscle.
 
Thank you Jamie for your added info. Good to have a few names because the 1 referral I had, he does not take patients on Medicare.
And yes Moriah I was advised also to work on upper & lower leg muscles.
I have also been using the foam roller. All has reduced the frequency of my pinching pain problems.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom