Guest viewing is limited

85 Year Old Father to Have BTKR -Will Recover in My Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you're thinking ahead well. Yes, definitely find a recliner that will support his whole leg(s). and a system of pillows for the bed is a good idea too. You might also test to see how low the sofa is. We had one member who put some sort of blocks under his to raise the height to make it easier to get up and down in those first weeks. I know I couldn't use my couch very well early on because it was too hard to get up and down.
 
I was lucky and had very little sleep problems. Let hope your dad doesn't have them either. But you are right to plan ahead just in case. Is there any way you could bring his own chair to your house for awhile? If he's comfortable in his chair at home then he would be equally comfortable in it at your house. If you buy one,its a good idea to have him sit in it first to see if he likes it. And be sure to buy one where the foot rest goes down when you push a button or push on a handle. Mine is one where you have to push the foot rest down with your legs, so I never sit in it anymore. I'm glad he's having those tests before surgery also.
 
I had about 6- 8 pillows that I used to elevate and support and help keep me comfortable at night. Also 20mg of hydrocodone every 4 hours helped me a lot. Also I went to a skilled nursing facility for the 12 day after 3 days in the hospital. It is covered by medicare. I cant remember, did you rule out the skilled nursing facility?
 
Remember..You MUST be in hospital 3 full days in order for Medicare to pay for rehab facility including medical necessity. Commercial companies have various policies. Just a tip I thought I would throw in.
 
Also I went to a skilled nursing facility for the 12 day after 3 days in the hospital. It is covered by medicare. I cant remember, did you rule out the skilled nursing facility?

No, at this time dad is planning to go to a rehab facility immediately following the hospital. Since he is getting both knees done his hospital stay will be 3-4 days minimum so he should qualify. The hospital has its own ORTHO rehab unit which he will go to if a bed is available at the time of his discharge. I plan to check out the hospital based rehab unit soon.

If they don't have a bed available, there is an excellent SNF inpatient rehab facility 10 min from my house. I have already toured that rehab and spoken with the admins there. It is a very nice facility with 33 beds in a building totally separate from the nursing home patients. I did ask about the PT philosophy regarding the old adage "No pain, No gain" and was assured that is NOT their approach. Rehab patients have 2-45 min therapy sessions each morning and each afternoon as tolerated. At least one of those sessions is not PT, but is OT to assist in daily function skills.

I was surprised when they told me that most of the knee replacement patients they get for rehab are bilaterals. Apparently some insurance companies are now less likely to approve inpatient rehab for single knee replacements. Either way, I suspect dad will not have problems getting approved. After his rehab stay he plans to stay with me for at least 4-6 weeks pending how soon he is released to return to his farm. Winter weather conditions in the Midwest will be a factor also. I would prefer he stay with me thru March and avoid the worst of the winter on his farm, but I doubt he will agree to that!
 
He wont have trouble with Medicare re rehab. But here is another hint. If he has to go to another facility he will need an ambulance but its called non emergency transport which Medicare wont cover except for medical necessity. Be sure your dr documents that he wont be able to sit up for the trip. Trust me..this is better..let them do the work.
And for post op hippies..even one will qualify.
Nuther hint..Dont be too quick to tell anyone that he has someone at home to help. I stayed in rehab for 3 weeks for 1 hip because I was not having anyone at home. When I had my BTKR I only stayed 2 weeks because I had help. If rehab is satisfactory push it to the limit. They have to give 72 hours notice in writing and you can appeal. If you need help with Medicare just ask.
 
I had non emergency transport from the Hospital to the SNF. It was basically a wheel chair van and I rode in a wheel chair and I paid the 50$.
 
My first trip they charged $165 but my daughter paid them on the spot coz she didnt know better. And I was on a guerny. Medicare wont pay if you are able to sit upright. Hips are different because of the high risk because of precautions. You just need the dr to make sure he or she documents it.
 
Well, dad had his appointment with the cardiologist and he was cleared for surgery at least from a cardiac perspective. The doctor said the pulmonary hypertension shown on his echocardiogram was mild and expected for someone dad's age. Dad does have some edema in his legs and ankles so was recently put on a diuretic by his primary MD and is now wearing mild compression socks to reduce his fluid retention. Dad is here at my home now, he came up for his MRI of both knees and full length X-rays of both legs which were done yesterday.

We bought a new recliner chair that fits dad's height and has full leg support, so he now has a comfortable chair for sleeping when he is here. He is returning to the farm today but will be back up here in 3 weeks for his medical clearance from my PMD, his Pre-op bloodwork, CXR, EKG and the surgical eval/education class where we will receive his PT exercises and can ask all our questions about anesthesia and post-op issues.

While at the hospital for his scans yesterday, we toured both the immedate post-op unit and the inpt rehab unit. I think it helped dad to know where he would be staying after surgery. He even spoke with some of the patients there. It's beginning to sink in that this is really going to happen and soon! Less than 7 weeks til his surgery date!
 
Well, the countdown has begun! Dad's BTKR is in 3 days! Monday Dec 9 we have to be at the hospital by 7:30am for 9:30 surgery. We did the surgical evaluation/training class Nov 13 and completed his medical clearance. Dad has been doing his daily exercises and drove up to my house 3 days ago to get ahead of the winter storm in our area currently. His hospital bag is packed and I am enjoying our visiting together these last couple of days. I think I will breathe so much easier though when he is 2-3 days post-op and I know that he made it through the surgery without any adverse incident!

I guess I need to start planning a thread name for my first post to the Post-Op area! I hope to make regular updates on dad's progress just in case it is helpful for anyone else considering BTKR at a "well-seasoned" age! (Dad turns 86 in March!) :)
 
I imagine you will! And so will we all - we'll be right there with you .....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom