TKR 8 weeks and anxious

Muldoh, StandTall, I totally agree about this site. It’s definitely an up and down battle for our recovery. I am, thankfully, having more good days now. I’m still just riding my recumbent bike a little each day and doing my ADLs. I am seeing improvements on a weekly basis. It’s much easier to see them that way as I look back rather than daily, which don’t happen every day. I know if I hadn’t found this forum I’d still be very worried about my progress but I really don’t anymore. I know it’ll happen in time. Patience is still hard at times. Good luck to us all as we navigate our way to better days and better health.

Any tips on extension? I can’t get my knee all the way straight yet. I’m done with pt. I sit with my heel on a chair to let gravity pull it down but is there anything else? I can walk with a pretty good gait but I do notice this when I am standing still or sitting on the floor or bed. I am 13 weeks po.

My extension was slower coming in than my bend, too. The way that helped me was to walk with a much longer stride, heel to toe. I made sure I had something to grab on to in case I lost my balance. It's a slow process because those tendons and muscles behind the knee are big and take a while to stretch out, but they do. Mine would improve slowly every few weeks and finally did get straight. Also, any swelling in your knee will affect the extension, too, just like the flex. Be sure to try and get that fluid out with ice and elevation.

Sistersinhim, I have been trying to walk like that lately. And I think I still have internal swelling so that’s definitely not helping. I’m trying to get that down. Didn’t think I’d still be doing that this many weeks out, but I know this is a long process. Just want to feel more “normal “ whatever that is. Thank you for your information. I appreciate it.

It was around 5 months before my extension came all the way in, if I'm remembering right. It never was really bad and I could still do the things that I needed to do.

A little anecdote, I have been blessed with a very good recovery, was once a little concerned about my extension. I spoke with my OS and he made two points, not to worry it will come along with time and ADL, secondly, using robotic assist the experts can assess the optimal 'tightness' based on the condition of the major ligaments. In my case his judgement was I was best served with a tight knee and extension would take time.
I must confess I have no idea what this practically means though, I just trust my surgeon!
Hope this helps.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties