TKR 8 months post TKR and still swollen

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are so many reasons a leg is still swollen 8 months after a tkr---it could be adhesions, it could be infection, it could be the prosthesis is not right, it could be metal allergy---you need someone who is used to diagnosing the problem with tkrs.
 
Hello there, Heather. So sorry you are still having problems. I merged you new thread with the old one and then read the whokle thing through and came up with some pretty interesting points
does anyone else have almost full body spasms? My arms and both legs get spasms and either keep me awake or wake me up
I woke up with what felt like a charlie horse the first day post op (
My concerns are with my ROM - I've been religious about PT and elevating and icing but can't get much past 95
I do lots of quad raises then heel slides, heel raises and have added very light weights in the leg press and hamstring extension. I get on the bike for 15 minutes
I do PT 2 or 3 times a week. I do lots (3 sets of 10 of them all) of leg raises, stretching, wall slides, heel lifts
Then I do the bike for 15 minutes and light weight hamstring curls and leg press (about 20 of each)
I'm close to being 3 months out from my surgery. My recovery is still very slow. I have a lot of swelling still which is affecting my progress.
I do leg raises, recumbent bike, stretches, light weights and calf raises. Nothing wild or painful. I'm having more difficulty with muscle tighten than my knee. My PT assistant said I have the tightest hip flexor she has seen in her 30 year career). My quads feel tight and are painful. Calf is tight, too. I stretch (gently) often throughout the day.

The reason I say these are interesting is because I am betting - correct me if I'm wrong - that you've been doing exercises pretty enthusiastically ever since to one degree or another. Am I right or wrong?

If so, let me ask you these questions again

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)

2. what pain medications have you currently using, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. are you still icing and elevating and if so, how often and how long for?

5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)
 
Hi. I'm a 41 year old Mom to to small kiddos (5 &7) and a proud Army wife. I had my first TKR on the 9th of October.
Everything went pretty well - and I'm home . I am having in home PT a few times a week. I can bend to 84 (90 with help) and am walking great. My few questions are as follows -

I am having much difficulty sleeping (as I understand is normal). I am on dilaudid every 3 hours (longer lasting pain pills makes me throw up). So, in addition to having trouble finding a comfortable position - my pain comes back every 3 hours on the hour! We have a new recliner in the bedroom and I switch back and forth between that and the bed. Any big tips for getting comfortable?!

That leads into another question I have - does anyone else have almost full body spasms? My arms and both legs get spasms and either keep me awake or wake me up. I have a script for Flexeril but doesn't seem to help much.

My last question is my calf - I woke up with what felt like a charlie horse the first day post op (and horrible breakthrough pain even with the femoral nerve block). The calf has been sore and tight ever since.

Thanks all. I had 5 previous surgeries on this knee, and I'm not sure I'm pleased just yet.

Heather
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom