Guest viewing is limited

7 Weeks Post Op Anterior THR: Oh What Fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there @cheddarveil.....I can empathise ......at 7 weeks post op I had so many niggly, funny feelings, tightness, pain that I googled hip replacement recovery and found Bonesmart, much to my relief. From reading posts I realised that the recovery period is much longer than I anticipated.....it's not that awful pain, more the uncertainty of not knowing that what you are feeling is OK and normal. Well, I am now 13 weeks and just, nearly almost normal..I have a limp because of LLD but am getting around and doing what I want to do. The feeling' should I have done this' still pervades, at times....but on a lesser scale. I have a very sensitive leg from hip to knee...if the grand kids touch it I nearly hit the ceiling...I assume it's where the 'bit' is put into the femur... ...(bit being a technical term ...LOL ) my hubby keeps going to pat me on the leg and I jump away....so many nerve endings and other things healing there.
I do hope that your return to work goes well....for me the energy drain was a reality so do take it easy won't you. Take care...Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I had the I have the same problem and still have it to a degree and I'm almost a year out from surgery.. I had back issues the micro motion, trochanteric bursitis during the past year. All the while I had the same symptoms you were complaining about very tender to the touch on anterior thigh. Finally It did wonders for those symptoms. Regular massage by a PT's was so painful but the myofascial release was not and made such a difference in the pain on my thigh.
 
@cheddarveil .... I have merged your three recovery threads into one. We like to keep each member's recovery story in a single thread. It makes things so much easier when we have to go back and read your history. And, it tells a complete story when others come to read about your recovery. So please put any updates, questions or concerns here in this thread. If you decide you would like a different thread title at any time, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

The pain you're experiencing is very common. As the nerves start to reconnect, you get all kinds of funny sensations. It's okay to medicate for that discomfort, if it bothers you a lot. If the Tylenol doesn't take care of it, try something a bit stronger for a while. Things will settle down eventually.....patience is required!!! This recovery is measured in months and you're still on the beginning side of your full recovery.
 
It's just 10 weeks since surgery, I'm back to work full time, and other than having a lot of pain when it is really cold (like below zero cold) or being really stiff if I sit for more than 30 minutes, I am doing much better than I was even 2 weeks ago. But now my knee on the same side is painful. Is this another post op annoyance that will pass? This began 5 days ago and is a sharp pain when I put weight on it. I had no knee pain at all prior to this week and the thought of another new issue at this point may just put me over the edge.
 
@cheddarveil , are you by any chance wearing the same shoes you wore before your surgery? If so, try buying some new shoes. Many new hippies find their shoes have worn down at weird angles as they limped around pre-op. This can cause both back and knee pain. Try new shoes with level soles. I'll bet it helps (at least it helped me post-op)!
 
I can't believe it has been 4 months since surgery. The pain is definitely related to the weather..if it is warmer than 50 degrees f, I have ZERO pain. So I finally am at a point where I am happy I had the surgery. This has been a long and painful winter.
The downside right now is I developed shingles all along the top to the outer side of my thigh on the operated leg. It started on the outer thigh and has been slowly spreading up to the incision. I thought it was just some odd rash that would go away, but it itches like crazy and burns so much, and had obviousy spread. So I had to have it looked at. Has anyone ever had this happen post surgery? I have never had or even seen shingles before. I had the chickenpox when I was 8, and did not know that the shingles virus could be dormant for so long and then wake up in response to some stressor or compromised health event.
 
Oh you poor thing! The dreaded shingles! I'm going to tag @Josephine on this one. I think her sister developed shingles either just before or after her op. No fun at all.
 
@cheddarveil , I have had shingles before, but not post op. Very painful! I feel for you and am hoping your doc is able to help you get over it quickly. I had it years ago and they couldn't offer much in the way of relief, had to wait for the virus that caused it to die down. But I hear nowadays that there are better treatments. I do know that it usually runs along a nerve. Feel better very soon!
 
I had it, too, about a year ago. It sucks and it hurts! I just had to let it run it's course (about 11 days), and I still have scars from it. Doctor gave me strong antibiotics and pain pills.
 
I too have knee pain think it may be due to swelling. Go to docs for three month follow up will let you know!
 
@cheddarveil...hello...I have been reading your thread...as u recover...4 weeks today. With all the different pains I can see this recovery will be longer than I had thought....everyone is different as you probably read..my knee on the same side is very painful....due to y limping prior to surgery the knee tracking is off. ..where is your pain?....mine is the side if the knee. If you haven't already get an crazy of the knee..to see what is going on....for my issue I tape the knee..to get it strait...this eases the pain and I have a brace...they say this should subside as my walking improves. ..I know what you mean about putting you over the edge. Recovery is an uphill road....we will get there...we have to work hard. Best of luck to you...the knee thing might pass as fast as it came. ...if not get it looked at....don't walk around in pain....:)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
Please excuse my typing errors..,still need to practice this phone thing..,lol

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom