TKR 6 weeks post op<

@JRS11, I’m seven months post op and I STILL have stiffness in the morning or after sitting / laying around in one position too long. No pain, just stiff. Once I’m moving a bit, bend my knee some, all is good. As you’ve already read, full recovery is at least a year. I know it’s hard to believe and accept, gets even harder the longer it’s been and you are doing almost everything you used to do and suddenly have a day where you over do it a bit and you think “I thought I was done with this”!

If you haven’t done so, try googling TKR surgery videos and watch one. It will change your whole perspective on what is involved and help you better understand why your knee hurts the way it does and why it takes so long to heal. I watched one about a week after my operation when I was at a point of asking myself why I even bothered getting the surgery. It really changed my mindset. I’m now well past that and so glad I had it done. The pain and stiffness are temporary and will just get better. My old knee was doomed to just get worse. I wasn’t at the point where it limited my activity but it caused other issues. Figured if I got it replaced now, I would be able to handle recovery much better. Glad I did.

NavyGunns, I hear you. Funny, this morning I watched a TKR video, hard to watch, I had not watch before. I was thinking, no wonder, all that pulling, cutting, pounding, how could it not hurt. I just wish the PT people and docs would be more forthcoming up front on recovery, what to expect, how to make sure not to overdue it. I am careful, like to do a bit each day. At 2½ months I can finally feel some strength back in my leg/knee.

The tightness is my biggest gripe but I know patience will be my best friend with this. I like the spinning, I was an avid cyclist before, always loved it, very meditative. I will continue this but for short durations, walking I think will be my best friend.

All in all I guess I am doing pretty well. I just need to figure out about being healed enough to do strengthening exercises. I am one of those very compliant patients. My left knee is not great either but now I can wait, no rush. I want to be able to move around for photography, maybe cycling again much later.

Thanks for all of your help and help from all on this site.

My PT encouraged me to watch the video of a TKR when I complained about my slow progress with knee #1. She then said that she had the opportunity to watch both TKR's and THR's in person during her training and she was shocked at how much more brutally aggressive the surgery was in person than the video. I think this is why she uses a gentle approach to recovery. For which I am very grateful. :)

She then said that she had the opportunity to watch both TKR's and THR's in person during her training and she was shocked at how much more brutally aggressive the surgery was in person than the video.
My son in law is a doctor and he saw one, also, I’m guessing while in med school, and said it was the closest he ever came to fainting. :yikes: He didn’t advise I watch one, as I am very sensitive. I really dont need the visual imprinted on my brain.

@JRS11

I want to be able to move around for photography, maybe cycling again much later. .

Hey! I’m a photographer so I can relate to this! Every few days I go stare at my gear on the shelves and feel sorry for myself. Then I get motivated that I want to be back out there and working with clients again. I have a huge event I’m covering in June and HAVE to be ready for.

Let it be your driver!

traceys, a hobby for me. I have done some printing and processing. This winter will not see me trying but soon. My gear is all minimalist, fixed lens or short telephoto cameras.

@JRS11, maybe my own experience will help be a guide for you, feel free to read up on my own recovery thread.

I like to spend my lunch time at work in our onsite gym. I went back to work full time in the office at the beginning of week 6. I didn’t even give thought to any kind of leg exercises until around week 16 (4 months). I very quickly found out that my knee wasn’t ready, regardless of how easy I took it. I could ride the stationary bike with no resistance with no problems, but if I added resistance or tried the elliptical or tried the leg press, my knee would give me “what for” for days after. I then found that my problem had nothing to do with my knee but was related to ITB tendinitis that was flaring up every time I tried to stress things. I just recently (3 weeks ago) have been successful at getting more serious with including leg exercises into my daily routine but am very cautious.

I have no problem with stretches, although at this point I have to re-evaluate what I am doing. Today is stiff all day without let up. Most days it relaxes a bit but it is only 10 weeks. Maybe it is the weather. I have found that stretching seems to losen up that stiffness most times. I won’t do any resistance stuff for quite awhile. Today I was able to walk slowly on the treadmill for 18 minutes before the side of my leg let me lnow to stop. It will be nice to not be too compulsive about my stretching but as long as they seem to me to losen up the stiffness I will continue but less than I have been doing if that works. I have learned a lot here, that is good. Now I feel as though I have a direction. NavyGunns, I will look for your recovery thread, thanks.

Weather never bothered my knee before surgery but it sure does now! And I always forget that. :doh: My knee will be bothering me and I’m trying to figure out what I might have done, then finally I realize it’s been raining! :doh:

Weather never bothered my knee before surgery but it sure does now! And I always forget that. :doh: My knee will be bothering me and I’m trying to figure out what I might have done, then finally I realize it’s been raining! :doh:

Oh geeze!! It's been raining here too--the first time since my surgery. And I've been in a lot of pain! Today's been good, but I slept well (not much the rainy night before.) And it's not raining today. Well, more rain starting tomorrow night and then for several days--time to test this out! I thought that I'd just overdone things with the bike and new stretches.

Will try the Tylenol, never had much luck with it in the past but I have nothing to lose by trying it.
I hear that a lot from Americans and usually find that they are just taking one regular Tylenol which is only 325mg. Here in the UK we only get it at 500mg a tablet and it's usual practice to take two at a time!
I have some tramadol at home, never thought it did that much except for neuropathy.
It's Gabapentin (or pregablin, nerontin, etc) that's for neuropathy. Tramadol is a pain killer and in my opinion, a jolly good one! I suggest you try 50mg plus 1,000mg of Tylenol and see how that works. If it's still not good enough, try 100mg Tramadol and the Tylenol.
they may be the cause of the pain/(not sure if you also meant stiffness?) The tightness is my biggest gripe
I did give you advice about that when I posted my questions to you. I had a line that read "don't forget other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness". So that's what it is - a form of pain! And for that type of pain, read this article "Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee
Also, what about strengthening exercises? Are there any I should be doing?
Not yet
How will I know when healing is complete?
When you wake up one day and it's lunch time before you even think about your knee!
I just wish the PT people and docs would be more forthcoming up front
I wish they would too but you also need to remember that if they really did do that, it would add at least an hour to each consultation! Just not practicable.

:wave:Hi @JRS11
We are so close in recovery and was it your R knee replaced too? I also didn’t watch any videos, didn’t read about any implants, basically stuck my head in the sand prior to surgery. I’m a nurse and I knew if I researched it I couldn’t go through with it. Ignorance can be bliss! Now of course Ive studied the whole thing and even my daughter (who used to look at me 8 weeks ago saying “mom you’ve got to toughen up) watched the TKR video the other night and said “oh man now I know why you were in so much pain”. But back to today. I have noticed a good deal of improvement just in the last week at 10 1/2 weeks. So I hope you also start to see the positives of getting this done. I know I certainly have doubted it up until now. Walking and bending we go! And oh gosh yes the stiffness is still ever present but it’s not as painful so I’m ok with it. And to make you laugh? Maybe? My son sells and repairs bikes for a hobby. We have probably 20 laying around in various parts. Mine? He hung mine from the garage ceiling after my surgery and “borrowed “ my back tire for another repair job. To This Day! :bawl:Despite my nagging, he hasn’t returned my bike to me! So I’m dying to see if I can get on it and ride!!!! Can’t wait!!! :bicycle1:

@andpeaches, yesterday by mid day was very good. My knee loosened up it seems. Today it is not quite that good but not bad. I have started taking tramadol and tylenol and think this may be helping. I hope you get your bike back, I know I will not be rifing for a bit, but excercising on a stationary bike is quite easy and I just do it to losen up. Good luck.

@andpeaches so funny, i am exactly the same in regard to my tkr. Put head deep into sand but can read about op now but NO WAY can watch video. :rotfl:Also have son that fixes bikes.:biking:..groan its 6.30am an have to go to work....loved my slow starts while healing

11½ weeks out now. I was very skeptical about changing my exercise routine but took ill last week and had no choice. My physical therapist is of the opinion if I stop, the stiffness will get worse. So now I am doing a couple of “stretches” only, no strengthening. My knee seems to be happier this way. I still use the recumbent for 10 minutes or so because it feels good and walk slowly on the tread mill. My knee is still stiff as I now understand is normal. Much popping as I use and bend my leg, this I think may be permanent.

Last edited:
Be careful of the treadmill. It can cause discomfort, especially if it 'gives' with each step. That adds a slight bounce, which can be painful in your recovery. I found the bike to be much better than the treadmill. Walking around on the ground is much better than a treadmill, in my opinion.

Thank you. Will do. It gets cold out but I can work around that.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom