THR 6 weeks post op

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennyb

So nice to find this site. I have so many questions, so many thoughts running through my head. I had a THR. I'm 56 and my surgery went fantastic. I was walking with 1 crutch at 4 weeks but was to told to stay on 2 till my 6 week check up which is next week. I do cheat a bit and can walk around the house without crutches but have a bad limp so I've abandoned that idea for the time being.

I will say I never had any sever pain just deep cramp type pain.

At the 6 week does anyone recall having numbness and pain in and around the incision? The area seems to be numb most of the time. Is there creams or such that should be put on it?

I will be reading this blog all day to find out the different success stories. I'm so glad I found this site

Kennyb,

Sounds like you are doing great! And you will really love this site. I used it 4 years ago when I had BTKR and I learned so much. I am back again, this time on the hip side. I had my right hip replaced 10 days ago and I am doing great. No crutches; even abandoned my cane! No pain except for my thigh feeling bruised; still alittle swollen and there is some numbness. All that is pretty common. I see my surgeon in 3 days for my 2 week check up.

Take it one day at a time! Sounds like you are well on your way to a great recovery.

Its like a rollercoaster, 1 day great then the next stiff and sore and always wondering if something went wrong, you are off crutches already? my case nurse said not till after the 6 weeks checkup even if i feel i can do it on my own

Hi Kenny, welcome to BoneSmart!

It's very normal to start having aches and pains in different areas at your stage. Numbness is also common. Everything went through major trauma. It can take some time to settle.

Good idea about going back to at least one crutch. You don't want to get in the habit of limping. Stay with walking aides until you feel totally confident and can walk without a limp.

Have a read around and do come back and ask any questions you might have. We are here to help!

Kenny, did you have an anterior approach? If so, the numbness is apparently a common occurrence, and "should" subside eventually. Also, what are you taking for pain? At five weeks, a lot of hippies think they should be done with pain meds, and they try to tough it out. No need....if a little higher dosage or more frequent dosage helps, then use it. Especially if you are limping....you want to be pain free enough to teach yourself how to walk without the limp.

Are you doing any PT? Are you in the US or the UK? I've noticed that people in the UK are more likely to use crutches, and people in the US are more likely to use canes...unless you are supposed to be non-weightbearing, in which case it has to be crutches.

At any rate, you sound like you are where you would expect to be. Keep us posted with the update from your 6 week checkup. Your goal is to heal....quite a lot of rest time needed still, as well as icing and elevating, and to control pain adequately so you can walk without a limp...with or without walking aids.

Sharon

Hi Sharon, yes i had the anterior, I was taking Oxycodon during the day and oxyneo at night, I also have an abundance of T3s which i will take 1 when going out. I am in Canada, I used both cane and 1 crutch I find the crutch to be more stable, but as I said I was told to stay on 2 till my 6 week. Doing excersizes at home PT will be set up after the 6 weeks, I think each Dr has his or her own theories regarding recovery etc. As for the limp the Dr did lengthen my right leg slightly as eventually the left has to be done as welll I just hope its not a permanent limp

How long did you limp prior to your surgery? I limped for about five years before my first; at first just slightly when I got
tired, but progressing to a very pronounced limp all the time. I had no trouble losing the limp after the first surgery, and I scheduled my second hip at the very first sign of a limp. Your outpatient PT will help you address the limp...at least that should be a major goal of PT. Be sure to ask them about it.

In the meantime, follow your surgeon's orders. Each surgeon has his own protocol, and it is hard to not compare when we are all spouting different tales here on the forum. I was entirely weight-bearing after both my surgeries, and was off all walking aids in a month or less. A lot of anterior patients are fully unassisted even sooner. BUT EACH OF US IS A DIFFERENT BODY, and it is useless to compare. Your doctor had his reasons for telling you two crutches for six weeks, and mine had his reasons for telling me to use a walker and then a cane until I didn't need them. You need the assistance longer, and I needed it for a shorter time. We almost all get to the desired outcome within a year or so....you will too.

Do you have any idea when you will do the other hip?

I only limped before the surgery when i got tired from walking,work etc then then pain and limp appeared. I have a disease called Legge Perthes, and i will need the left hip replaced when I feel i need it done. I am really only using the crutches for balance i walk with them as lightly as possible if you know what i mean.

Welcome Kenny, congratulations on your shiny new hip.

We're you diagnosed with LCPD as a child?

I would imagine it is a blessing to be free of the pain of the disease following your RTHR, at least in one hip :)

Did you have a limp with your left hip prior to this sugery? I could imagine if you did, it is part of the progression of LCPD.

Sounds like you are doing quite well given you are coming up to your six week time frame.

Most of us feel some numbness, I had a posterior lateral and experienced the same sensation. It does go away with time.

I would also imagine when you are ready (not yet) to get the left hip done, you will be free of the LCPD and walking totally without a limp.

I look forward to following your journey!

Hi Don
I was diagnosed when I was 7 and honestly it never slowed me down at all I played competitive sports well into my 50s and was told very early on that this day would come. I never really did have a limp till probably into my 40s and only after a lot of bending, walking physical type things but it was nothing that a few tylenol wouldnt fix. I did have the posterior lateral, i said earlier that i had anterior but my wife corrected me. I have a numbness that seems to extend along my incision, and i guess its a pulling sensation when I walk. My biggest fear now is walking with a limp, the Dr did lengthen my leg a bit in anticipation of doing my left hip, my left hip is not as bad as the right one was,so Im really not sure when I will get it done, time will tell. I have cheated and walked once around the house and i did limp noticeably but Im hoping its just because Im not fully healed. Did you have LCPD? I look forward to keeping in touch. Im in Canada, Take care

I will say I never had any sever pain just deep cramp type pain.
Well, that IS pain but it's not like the pain you had before so you tend not to register it as such. Do read the articles Judy put up for you, specially the first one about pain management. In there it describes all the different ways pain can be perceived. Don't ignore these other types, they need to be medicated just as much.
At the 6 week does anyone recall having numbness and pain in and around the incision? The area seems to be numb most of the time.
Everyone has a certain amount of numbness. It's inevitable because the surgeon has to cut through some superficial nerves to make the incision.Mostly they resolve after some months but sometimes they are there pretty much forever to one degree or another.
Is there creams or such that should be put on it?
Definitely not! Your body's natural healing will take care of everything. Don't underestimate its power and don't feel like you need to add anything to it - because you don't!

btw, there is no need to use the reply icon to make a post

6 weeks post op

Just scoot on down to the bottom of the page and start writing in the window, okay?

6 weeks post op

Biggest thing to remember, everyone's recovery is different! My surgeon is doing the DDA with the hana table. He also did other things to make sure I had little pain. Besides a general anesthesia, I had a spinal. The spinal was used to put morphine in near the end of the procedure. I had no pain meds for the 1st 24 hours except for some tylenol in my IV. I was great! Also, my surgeon puts in a drain and leaves it in for 24 hours. My understanding is that also helps control the pain. I took some hydrocodone for my first week home, but needed it only near the end of the day. My surgeon truly believes in what he is doing and has years of experience. The only negative I can think of is that he is 75 years old and will have to retire soon. He is training some other younger surgeons in his practice. I hope however, that I won't need anymore surgeries!

I had the spinal as well, I dont remember anything ad thats just the way I wanted it, I was given morphine every 4 hours and oxycodone between if required, I feel so much better with all the positive responses...ty al

You are welcome Kenny, don't hesitate to ask questions, we love them :)

Kenny, I can't help but giggle a tiny bit. Poppet's name is not Don (post #10). That's her designation here in the forum based on how many posts she has made. I'm a graduate. You are a new member. And so on. If you stick around and make enough posts, you'll get promoted too.

I read up on LCPD after I read your post. Wow...it sounds like you were really fortunate that it didn't hamper your childhood. And now I understand why you're concerned about possible limping due to the leg length discrepancy....am I correctly interpreting that your surgeon will equalize you when he eventually does the other hip? If so, perhaps you could use a leg lift temporarily...if it turns out that the limp is indeed a problem....until the whole issue is resolved.

I think it's either Jamie; or Jaycey; who has some knowledge about LLD and using lifts...or maybe it's both of them, so I've tagged them to respond to this particular concern.

Sharon

Perceived and actual leg length discrepancy is discussed in this thread in the BoneSmart Library. It is usually not advisable to use a lift for at least several months after surgery. Your body needs time to adjust to your new normal hip. It will make these adjustments naturally with time (you can't rush it). So please don't be in a hurry to do anything other than to practice a normal gait. That said, you shouldn't be walking around without aids if you are limping. That's the sign that it's too soon and you still need whatever walking aid works best to give you the support needed to achieve a normal stride.

Thanks you for the information. Yes the surgeon lengthened my leg in anticipation of doing the other. I really havent waked unaided I only cheated once to see if i cold do it, i walked perhaps 10 steps and realized i had a limp, im probably worrying about nothing and it might be something as simple as practice makes perfect I have my 6 week on Monday. Thinks are going so good, only a very small pain in the incision,Oh and Im glad could he you out with the giggles.lol

For those who need an interpretation
Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease (LCPD) is a form of osteonecrosis of the hip that is found only in children. It is known by a few other names such as ischemic necrosis of the hip, coxa plana, osteochondritis and avascular necrosis of the femoral head. Most commonly it is called Legg-Perthes disease, LCPD, or Perthes.

Libary article with link here Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease, ischemic necrosis, osteochondritis, AVN of the hip

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Denton1224
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom