TKR 5 weeks post op today

@Nixie
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
@Nixie Yes, limping at 5 wks is pretty common. My PT said anyone NOT limping at 5 wks post-op is basically a TKR recovery miracle. :heehee: You just don't see it very often. I had just gotten rid of the walker at 4 wks and 5 days post-op, so I think you're right on track. It's definitely annoying though!!!!:console2:
 
@Nixie Likewise I'm still limping and I'm nearly 6 weeks post op my physio basically says that prior for many years I limped so it is probably still a habit - however if I concentrate and walk tall doing heel to toe I don't limp ( more often than not I now crutch free I tend to forget them...haha ) I still have the tight band feeling and find that if I'm sitting or lying with leg straight then it's hard to bend my ROM is currently at 120 so I think it's the norm for most of us.
Another theory my physiotherapist is mulling over is that my new knee might have made my leg a wee bit longer ...so on Thursday I'm going to be measured ( hopefully not as if so then my surgeon is going to get a rollicking it's bad enough having a click ...)
Hope all else is going well for you xx
 
Right knee TKR was 10/15/19 so I’m close to 4 months out. Pain levels improving slowly but still much worse than I anticipated in both shin and knee. Maybe I’m a wimp. Feeling frustrated and like a failure as two PTs inferred, albeit in a kind way, that I’m behind schedule in terms of my gait and inability to climb stairs one foot at a time. Saw surgeon 10 days ago who after x rays of tibia and knee, along with thorough exam, stated all is as it should be but that I’m 4 to 6 weeks behind what he expected regarding recovery time and pain levels. Prescribed Diclifenac and stopping PT for a few weeks. I‘m flying to London April 1 to visit my daughter and my other daughter is getting married end of May. Is it unrealistic to think I’ll be feeling more “normal” by then?
 
but that I’m 4 to 6 weeks behind what he expected
The operative phrase there is, “what he expected.”

He, and the PTs, can “expect” all they want, but each of our bodies are unique, with their own healing time frame. You may be slower than some others, but at 4 months post op, you are only approximately 1/3 the way to full recovery, so you are not slow for you.

He said that all looks well, so try to relax
and dig deep for patience, in this long and frustrating recovery. Many of us couldn’t do stairs foot over foot at 4 months.
I‘m flying to London April 1 to visit my daughter and my other daughter is getting married end of May. Is it unrealistic to think I’ll be feeling more “normal” by then?
You’ll feel better by then, but maybe not yet totally back to normal. My son got married when I was 5 months post op and I had a really tough time. It was out of town, but drivable, and there were 3 days of activities, so we were on the road a lot. I spent too much time standing at the events and not elevating at all. Try to take better care of yourself than I did!
 
Thank you so much for your prompt and encouraging reply, Jockette. I know what you wrote is true but still it helps me enormously to hear about your own experience and to read your words of wisdom!
 
@Nixie I am 5 months post op and still can't go up stairs in a reciprocal way without hauling myself up with hand rail and using the good leg...a lot!

I too, have to remind myself not to limp it's muscle memory.

Today was get grocery list together, go to store and come home. Still not up to putting it all away...Hubby still needs to do that. A month ago I would do the list then rest for 15 then go to store hanging onto cart.

I write on calendar significant "functional" victories. I am unable to cook dinner after work, and need help on weekend but it's good for hubby to help:happydance:

Hang in there!

By the way, notice I didn't mention my surgeon or PT opinion? Mine is what counts
 
Love your idea of writing “functional” victories on the calendar, along with your reminder that my opinion is the only one that counts! Agree about the muscle memory too.

I need to give myself more credit rather than putting myself down and I’ve started that today thanks to the support from this wonderful, smart group. Wishing you all the best @NewToMe, and thank you for sharing your thoughts!
 
Thank you for checking in with me, @NewToMe! I’m still struggling and back to gentle PT after a 3 week break. Good news is that shin pain is not quite as intense. However, tourniquet feeling around knee is limiting my mobility so curbs are difficult and I wonder when/if I’ll ever be able to walk up and down stairs properly. Anxious about my upcoming trip overseas bc I won’t be able to access public transport as I usually do. I feel like I aged 20 years since the surgery and although I’m getting out most days, my life is quite different than it used to be.
 
It’s been several months since I posted regarding ongoing pain since my 10/15/19 right knee replacement. The pain in my shin area and in the inner kneecap region, along with the stiffness and feeling like I have a tourniquet around my knee, is relentless day and night. I’ve tried OTC and prescription drugs and continue to ice intermittently. I returned to my surgeon several times and although sympathetic, he cannot explain the pain and slow recovery. He supported my idea of a second opinion but I had to cancel last month‘s appointment due to the lockdown. A few friends mentioned CBD oil for pain relief and at this point, I’m ready to try anything but I know nothing about CBD and wonder if anyone on the list can offer specific suggestions regarding what product, dosage, and where to safely purchase CBD oil. Prior to surgery, I was very active and thought I had a high tolerance for pain. I’ve tried to be patient but I can’t help but feel something is very wrong.
 
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just post what you would like it to be and we'll change it for you
 
6 months is only 1/2 of the way of a year of healing for your knee. The stiffness is an indication that you have swelling. You might not see it, but your knee can have fluid inside of it. It is a small area in there and a little bit of fluid will cause stiffness. Try increasing your icing and elevating and cutting back on your activities and see if that will help ease some of your discomfort.
 
CBD oil is rather controversial as a pain reliever. The hemp oils sold to the general public are unregulated and many times it's impossible for you to know what's in the products, if they are produced in a consistent manner, and if they have much or even any of the active ingredient. If you're going to go that route, you'll need to do a lot of research yourself to find companies that are reputable and have good products. Plus, what works for one person may not work for others.

We do have some rules here on BoneSmart about what can be discussed and under what circumstances. THC in the ingredient in marijuana that gives you the "high." Here is our guidance for any discussions:

* Non-THC CBD oil applied externally. CBD oil discussions are fine as long as it is a hemp product that has little to no THC in it and you are not taking it orally. If a member talks about successfully using CBD oil and they don't specify that it is the hemp-based, it is appropriate for moderators and advisors to post and ask for clarification. Hemp based products used externally don't need to be coordinated with a doctor to be discussed on the forum.

* CBD oil that contains THC. If the CBD oil has THC (the chemical that makes you high), it is only okay to discuss it if you are in a state or country that permits sale of the product over the counter and you are not taking it orally. If a member is talking about successfully using a CBD oil and they don't specify that it has THC or not, it is appropriate for moderators and advisors to post and ask for clarification. CBD oil used externally in states or countries where over-the-counter sales are legal don't need to be coordinated with a doctor.

* CBD oil or cannabis products taken orally. If the product is being taken orally (with or without THC), you need to be working at a minimum with your GP in order to discuss it on BoneSmart because there are possible interactions with other medications (prescription, over-the-counter or supplements).

You might ask your surgeon or your GP if you could try Gabapentin and see if it helps. Sometimes it can work on this type of pain when you're months out from surgery.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom