TKR 5 1/2 months after LTKR

I have that clunking & clicking too. I had it previous to surgery from bone on bone & figured it would be gone after surgery. Oh well. At least it doesn't hurt like it used to.

My knees make noise but I do not hear them anymore unless I really listen and concentrate. The no pain is always a win and my ability to walk without pain or limitations is priceless.

Quick question??? I have a dentist appt tomorrow at 12:00. Totally forgot my TKR manual from hospital and surgeon states to take antibiotics 3 days before the appointment. First of all, I don't understand why and second of all do I get those from my Primary care doctor, Dentist or my TKR surgeon?
Has anyone dealt with this before??? :chinstroke:

@dlssimon,
You can get the antibiotics from either your surgeon or dentist, call them in the morning and ask them to call in a script for you. The timing I was given was 2 hours prior to my appointment.

My dentist and OS both require I take antibiotics prior to dental procedures. Some do not require antibiotics, as a link has not been shown with studies.

Dental antibiotics: Evidence insufficient to recommend prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures

Last edited:
My surgeon and dentist have differing opinions about dental antibiotics. My OS suggested one year only, dentist prefers that they are taken indefinitely. But the usual recommendation is to take them 1 hr prior to appointment. So if you need to take them you can probably get a script in the morning.

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

Tuesday I have a dental appt for a cleaning, and my OS wrote a scrip to take 3 amoxocillin On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday , so 9 pills all together. That seems strange, I wonder if it’s because I have had both knees done in the past 8 months?

She explained that scar tissue forms as we heal and to keep it from becoming too stiff or too thick and lumpy it helps to break it up a bit with massage.
Of course scar tissue forms - that's what holds your incision together.
There's no need at all to massage it. Nature has been healing wounds for thousands of years and knows what it's doing.
If you leave your scar alone, all those lump and bumps will flatten out naturally, as time passes.

I'm healing so well from my TKR but....still have a click and my bones above and below my knee are starting to ache. Anyone else have those issues??
Thanks!

@dlssimon
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

dlssimon
Clicking is normal after TKR, as your muscles strengthen and tone it should go away or diminish.
Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery

my bones above and below my knee are starting to ache
You may be doing too much at 4 months, you are still very early in this year long + recovery.
Suggest you cut back your activity by 50% and give your knee a break so it can heal.

I have a dental cleaning tomorrow. Was given 4, 500mg amoxicillin to take 1 hour before cleaning. Not nuts about it

Dlssimon I am 3.5 months post-op and still clicking away! But I think it’s diminishing or I’m just not noticing as much. And I also have times when the bones around the knee replacement ache. I’m thinking it’s because as the knee heels, I am doing much more in my activity levels than I was before, so those bones aren’t quite used to this increase. I’m hoping that over time that will lessen too! Crossing my fingers for us :)

Dlssimon I am 3.5 months post-op and still clicking away! But I think it’s diminishing or I’m just not noticing as much. And I also have times when the bones around the knee replacement ache. I’m thinking it’s because as the knee heels, I am doing much more in my activity levels than I was before, so those bones aren’t quite used to this increase. I’m hoping that over time that will lessen too! Crossing my fingers for us :)
Thank-you for responding, I think you're right because I'm not one to lay around and probably just been doing too much...Here's hoping for great results for both of us!! :flwrysmile: :praying:

First of all, Happy Thanksgiving everyone and I'm thankful I found this forum after my knee replacement. I've since been laid up with elbow/wrist surgery and haven't done my knee exercises in about 3 weeks. My knee now feels stiff and is pretty sore. I didn't figure that would happen after just 3 weeks. Should I seek out PT again or do my previous exercises on my own?
Even though I need the other knee done too, I honestly don't know if I want to go through this again ever!!!
Stay safe and Covid free!! :flwrysmile:

@dlssimon Please do not start any more threads. We have once again merged your two recovery threads on your original thread. We need your information in one place so that we can advise you. Please keep all your updates and questions here.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Sorry I guess I haven't figured this forum out yet. It won't happen again, just closing it out!!!

@dlssimon You just posted perfectly. Just continue to post here so that we can advise if needed.

Hope you have a happy and safe Thanksgiving!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HaiPao
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom