TKR 4 weeks post op and need encouragement

Ask your doctor, but I got a lot of relief by adding ibuprofen to my pain relief regimen. The blood thinning issue is important to check on, though.
 
Everybody feels pain differently some feel it worse some feel hardly any which makes no sense to me why when Dr's write script for pain its not geared for that particular person its based more on the average then anything else. Granted there has to be some control but what stinks the people that need it cannot get it due to the idiots that abuse it. I have been on my share of pain meds over the years from my own experience the longer you take it the more your body gets use to it until you get to the point what once worked fine now does nothing. Meds you can try that are non narcotic Gabapentin at one point it worked great 300mg 3x a day pain level 4 then knee revolted against me. Ice is a great substitute for pain meds, Diclofenac lotion provides temp relief. some swear by Tylenol what works for one does not always work for all.
For those that feel depressed look at how many knee surgeries I have had this last one makes 19 all on the same knee. That is really depressing another thing that sucks for me even in a best case recovery I am always going to experience pain and I was already told odds are good I will continue to need revisions as time passes. Yes I have been thru a lot and yes this surgery was not as bad as it could have been but it still hurts going thru PT yet again all of it drives me nuts. My point is no matter what your situation is there is always someone who has it worse I would love to be like a lot of the people here odds are this will more then likely be there only major knee surgery.
 
Hi @Kneebe! I'm at about the same 5-week mark you are. I suggest asking your doctor about the ibuprofen. My surgeon doesn't want me to take that yet because apparently NSAIDs may interfere with bone healing (I've seen others say this on BS too).

As far as your progress, I can relate in that I'm finding myself thinking this week, "5 weeks already? Shouldn't I be doing more? Should I be going out/driving/getting back to work?" I really think that that this guilt sets in -- guilt for actually taking the time to take good care of ourselves. Today I was thinking about how physically miserable I would feel if I were actually back at work now (I work full time). My brother asked me if I want to go to a concert/holiday party tomorrow night with him and my sister-in-law. I can't imagine actually enduring at least an hour drive each way, plus trying to be comfortable for several hours. It sounds completely exhausting to me! I have to rest after taking a shower (and I thought it was a huge achievement today when I took my first actual bath!).I

I think, especially if you're used to "running" every day from morning to night, the slow pace of TKR recovery can be another big shock to our systems. I'm constantly fighting the feeling that I'm turning into a lazy sloth because it takes so long and is so tiring to complete simple tasks. I think the holiday season just adds to the pressure we probably place on ourselves that we "should" be doing multiple extra holiday preparations too.

Be kind to yourself. Our bodies are telling us that we must slow down for this. I feel like I'm only just beginning to understand this.
 
Thanks to all of you that gave me valuable information to help me through the “4-5” weeks slump. It was hard to see past the pain, lack of energy, isolation and how healing seemed to stretch on indefinitely. It helped to get pain management information.

Celle, I took your advice and started on tramadol and Tylenol per the suggested schedule. My surgeon had taken me off do oxycodone, at first I didn’t know how that would work, but he didn’t want me to have any addiction issues and the side effects of opioids were troubling. That change, together with reducing my PT intensity, icing my knee, and reaching out to others to address my isolation feelings have helped! Thanks for other encouragement from Tykey, Ceegee, Eliza61nyc,and the rest of you. It helped so much! Once I made these changes, plus the passage of time to past 5 weeks PO, the pain became manageable and I found myself walking without assistance. I have to practice walking heel to toe, since I had developed a rolling waddle of a walk, that became part of my PT. Also, I had very tight calf muscles and hamstrings - a lot of atrophy from a year of non use.

Also good news, my blood clots in my leg and lungs have dissolved and I can get off Eliquis this week, per my clot doctor, he said it was a miracle I survived the pulmonary embolisms. So a heads up to anybody who starts to swell in their leg after an injury to the knee, get this checked out for clots right away, it is not just a knee injury that you might be dealing with, it might be something life-threatening like clots that develop in your calves and can move to your lungs!

I have to be careful not to overdo activity, especially this time of year, but now I know to take a step back and rest, ice, and elevate. This Bonesmart site is a Godsend, thank you! Your advice was right on and I am getting back to being my normal optimistic self.
 
Well, I am now 8 weeks post op. I still need Tramadol and Tylenol at night to sleep. I have been walking and keeping up on strengthening PT exercises. I thought I was doing so well, but today I spent 20 minutes on a golf driving range and haven’t done well afterwards. For one thing, I get chilled to the bone, Ihave lost my appetite since having TKR, and don’t eat much, lost 20 pounds, and now I have a difficult time regulating my body temperature. So my hubby had me soak in a hot bath till my body core temp came back up. Anyone else have this issue? Also, even 20 minutes of practicing my swing was too much, and I am sore and achy. And I feel painful twinges on the inside of my knee. What is that about? Is it normal at 8 weeks? Sleeping is still a major problem, too.
 
Yes! YES! Post surgery I'd been extremely busy for years in some cases working multiple jobs/ commitments, projects, etc. on and on. Right up thru the day, near minute of surgery! Then bang you cannot do it all and feel a bit weird not to. Hah. The initial lack of sleep only added to the angst. It takes time to getting used to taking time. And enjoying the simple things like resuming long hot showers, once able! We must be good to ourselves thru this and allow proper healing. We've earned it!
"5 weeks already? Shouldn't I be doing more? Should I be going out/driving/getting back to work?" I really think that that this guilt sets in -- guilt for actually taking the time to take good care of ourselves.
 
I will quote you "I thought I was doing so well"
Well you are!!!!!

But not quite as well as you want!

All the advice you've had on here still applies, and will do for some time yet. Its just the way it is for the vast majority of us.
 
That's awesome news. Clots are a serious complication. I was very afraid of that initially. Hang in there, it's going to get better :) !
Also good news, my blood clots in my leg and lungs have dissolved and I can get off Eliquis this week, per my clot doctor, he said it was a miracle I survived the pulmonary embolisms.
 
I’m a bowler and I waited 12 weeks before I started back. I just did one game (we usually bowl 3 games) By the end of that game both my arms were shaky.

It takes quite a while to resume some things. There’s a lot of standing and walking in golf, and the swing movement. Your body is still feeling the energy drain, as it is working hard to heal the trauma of this surgery. Give it some more time then try again gradually.

I was cold for a while after surgery, also, and I am rarely cold under regular circumstances. Before I could bowl I went to watch and my friends were shocked to see me wearing long sleeve tops!
 
They gave me the usual-useless short sleeved/ butt-out gown in the hospital but I'd packed long sleeve tee shirts which I immediately donned over all of that fast, IV's and all. I was cold for sure.

Long sleeve all winter and beyond for me often is my default. We have long winters in Michi anyway! Hah...:snork:...
 
Last edited:
Same in MN, have been reading what to eat and drink to stay warmer. Certain foods and spicies help. Now if I could find someone who liked to cook....
 
I have felt much colder than usual but attribute that to icing my knee which I still do on very active days. Also, I have lost about 15 pounds which makes me feel colder.
 
Garlic seems to help me stay warm. Along with donning heavy socks after slathering on lotion (Trader Joes Midsummers Nights Moisturizing Cream) on feet!

What helps me with cooking is taking phone/ tablet or whatever to stream broadcasts/ talk radio/ music etc. while I prep/ cook/ wash dishes. Makes the process go faster, with the company. Quiet kitchen? I'm not going in there! LOL!
 
Back
Top Bottom