Guest viewing is limited

TKR 4 weeks out<

1. Between 3 & 6 -- depends on how active I am
Okay
2. Norco 5/325. I'm taking 1 every 5-7 hours
I don't think that's adequate for you. The 325mg is Tylenol so why don't you try also taking an extra 500mg of Tylenol with each dose? It will help and won't be a problem as long as you don't exceed 4,000mg per 24hrs.
3. A little bit more than moderate
Okay
4. When home PT measured it a week ago, flexion was 100. She didn't measure extension just said it was great. I'm pretty straight
Jolly good!
5. I'm icing several times a day for about 45-60 minutes either with bags or the ice machine
Excellemt!
6. Leg is elevated almost nonstop. I can't stand to sit with it hanging down for very long because I can feel it tighten up
same again
7. I have done some vacuuming with lots of breaks, laundry, feeding our dog. Husband does just about everything
That's pretty good.


I usually walk 3 times a day outside about 600 feet
Exercises at least once, try to do them twice each day- once is plenty but add none at the weekends

Heel slides 15 - this is an easy exercise to do badly and 3 sessions of 15 a day is badly! Read this Heel slides and how to do them properly.
Knee flex uni stand 15, Knee squat bilateral partial 15
you now have three exercises for flexion which is two too many! I suggest you lose two of them

AROM hip ext stand 15, Hip flx stand bent knee 15, Hip abd uni stand 15 all inappropriate for a knee! I suggest you stop them

Haven't started outpatient PT yet -- will start on Wednesday Aug 8 - well good! I suggest you read this before you go and avoid the exercises I've black listed! BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

In summary, I think you've been doing too many exercises and some not even appropriate for the knee! You need to ensure that you only do knee exercises and don't let the PT start you on muscle/stamina building stuff as you still have a lot of healing to do yet. Building up muscle strength can wait until about 14 weeks at least !
 
Thanks Josephine, I'll follow your suggestions.

I decided to go with my husband to Academy and probably was there too long. I'm laying down now with my leg elevated and iced!
After I had walked down a couple of aisles holding onto the cart, I started feeling a bit sick at my stomach and light headed. I went out to the car right away. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this.
 
Nonna, be kind to yourself! It's your time to look after yourself, get plenty of rest and relaxation and let others look after themselves. At four weeks, I was still having two naps a day, and any outing left me exhausted. Even doing a load of washing left me a wreck. I cannot even imagine trying to work; at four weeks my brain was still foggy. I couldn't even concentrate on my household accounts. Now, at ten weeks, I'm a lot better; I still have a nap in the afternoon, but can manage some of the housework and outings (but not too many).

I understand what you mean about being in control - at our age we've been running a household for a long time and used to our routine. Suddenly, after major surgery, we cannot do it! I just had to let some things go.
 
After I had walked down a couple of aisles holding onto the cart, I started feeling a bit sick at my stomach and light headed. I went out to the car right away. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this.
That's a very good sign that you aren't really ready for such an outing. My first outing was when a BoneSmart member (on vacation here from Canada) and her husband took me out to dinner at 6 weeks. I found that to be on the edge of doing too much and I only walked a few yards from the car to the restaurant!
 
Well, had my PT eval last Wednesday. Had not been doing much other than walking, so wasn't too surprised that my flex was only 90 and extension was 10. They gave me some stretches to do lying down and I guess I over did it. The next day I paid for it--took it easy for a couple of days and I'm doing much better now.
I start PT tomorrow. I'm walking without the walker around the house, but have been taking it with me when we go anywhere. I was wondering when most people stop using the walker and do you start use a cane or feel pretty comfortable without any support.
 
Nonna2017 I could never imagine working part time even at 4 weeks out. I will be 3 weeks out tomorrow and am going stir crazy, but I would not work that soon.
Don't be nervous about PT, I love PT, but I also have a wonderful place to do PT at and they have a wonderful understanding patient staff that encourages a person but does not let a person overdo it.
Have a smooth recovery.
 
I guess I over did it. The next day I paid for it
:doh:
I was wondering when most people stop using the walker and do you start use a cane or feel pretty comfortable without any support.
There's no easy answer to that - everyone is different and it's doesn't come as a eureka moment! Basically, test yourself a little in the house once in a while. Try walking with 1 or 2 canes and see how you go.

Had not been doing much other than walking, so wasn't too surprised that my flex was only 90 and extension was 10. They gave me some stretches to do lying down and I guess I over did it. I start PT tomorrow.
I thought you said earlier ...
Thanks Josephine, I'll follow your suggestions.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom