THR 30 days and still recovering <

Regarding the nail salon, I found this in a US News article which has you doing everything and just letting them put on polish. It sounds like a good plan. I am not very adept at getting the polish only on the nails.

“Do it yourself. For an at-home pedicure treatment, Brenner advises soaking your feet for 10 to 15 minutes two to three times a week in an Epsom salt solution, made of two cups of Epsom salt per gallon of tepid water. Follow that with a foot scrub (Brenner likes the apricot scrub by St. Ives) and a thick coating of moisturizer like shea butter. At that point, you've done most of the leg work, so to speak, and you can leave the polish to the professionals.”

I remember as a child sitting at night with my feet in a basin of Epsom salts and I remember how wonderful it felt.

Ugh it’s painting them tho! I had a hard enough time before my hip issues.... now I can’t imagine even attempting to paint them myself. Guess we could soak and scrub them ourselves and just head to the salon for a pretty paint job. That takes a lot of the enjoyment out of it, but it would be safe. Man I LOVE LOVE my pedicures!!

My salon does use a disposable liner every time to cover the basin of the spa tub...??

What about the 90 degree rule, to cut the toe nails?

So, did a lot of walking today, with cane, calf is sore, groin and knee. I assume that’s normal the beginning days of walking more? I went to the grocery store, for the first time, all by myself. Quite a accomplishment. Felt good. Makes me appreciate the simple things like driving and walking. We take so much for granted. I thank God for the ability to walk, talk, breath, eat. Won’t be taking things for granted any longer. How much walking are you all doing at a month?

How much pain is normal in the hip after a month. I have a strong aching in my hip. But overall, I’m a lot better. Pins n needles gets a little better every day. Walking a lot more, which I love being outside. My butt hurts, the entire time, I never even noticed the incision, until yesterday and it was below the cut, and I also have a small bed sore. Is the something I can put on it it? Like Vaseline? And the incision is very drey, flaky skin, is it ok to put lotion on it?

all the aches and pains and normal. I have to ice all the time. Even wake up at night sometimes to get ice. I would call your PCP today about the bed sore and get his advice on that.
Sounds like you are doing great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Morning Marvin :wave:

What about the 90 degree rule, to cut the toe nails?

Follow your surgeon's recommendations. You may have to wait to clip toenails.

So, did a lot of walking today, with cane, calf is sore, groin and knee. I assume that’s normal the beginning days of walking more?

Yes

How much walking are you all doing at a month?

At one month post op you can be walking for 30 minutes, or longer if you feel up to it. Ease into longer periods of walking slowly. Example: Don't walk 30 minutes one day and 60 minutes the next or you may suffer some discomfort.

How much pain is normal in the hip after a month.

That differs from person to person, depending on many variables. Different pain thresholds, different activity levels etc.

And the incision is very drey, flaky skin, is it ok to put lotion on it?

Only if it's completely closed. I used Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion with Vitamin E, some use Bio Oil, others E45 Cream, I've heard Coconut Oil, many options.

You could ask your Primary Care Physician about applying lotion to your incision if you phone about the bedsore because I don't know how to advise on the bedsore.

Have a good one!

Hey...just noticed it's your anniversary. Happy One Month Anniversary!
Yay :yay: you made it one month. :happydance:
Keep up the good work, the sky is the limit. You'll be doing this in no time > :happyfeet:
Happy Saturday :)
@Marvin L

One month.:)
Hip hip hooray.:yay:

Do call about what to put on the bedsore and they likely may want a dressing on it to reduce friction.
I know you aren't supposed to use hydrogen peroxide or iodine based products

Sore is getting better, put some Vaseline on it. Any suggestions how to get lotion onto calves and feet? I am so dry. Also, my swelling has gone down a lot, still have pins n needles in feet but slowly getting better. I’m walking 2-3 hours a day outside, with a cane, get a little sore but not to bad. I’m 4 and half weeks out, I assume some pain is normal at this point?

Hey Marvin :wave:
You can purchase lotion applicators from many places, Amazon being one. Basically it's a wooden handle usually about the length of a shower / bath loofah on a stick, or the length of a back brush you'd use in the shower. I purchased one and didn't find it very helpful. It consists of a piece of hard foam on a stick. It allows you to apply the lotion but isn't very effective at helping you get it into your skin....only on top of it.

You could be walking too much, especially in mentioning you're sore. Wondering if you ice for 40-60 minutes after walking? When you say 2-3 hrs of walking, how do you break that up?
According to the Activity Progression a couple of 30-45 minute walks at this point seem adequate and may leave you less sore. http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/
Remember, this is only a guideline. Some will excel, some will lag behind. Just don't get too overzealous.

Yes, you can still have some discomfit at 4 1/2 weeks post op.

Have a nice evening and Sunday!
@Marvin L

I put a big glob of lotion on the bottom Of my foot on non operated leg and use it to rub lotion on the other leg calf and foot. Lol sounds funny but it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Marvin L notice you said that you had pins and needles feeling in your feet. When did that start? Mine started about three weeks before surgery. It stopped a few days after surgery but now I’m walking ( surgery was six days ago ) and it started up again. Ugh. Did you talk with OS about it? I didn’t Have this with my last hip replacement.

I did talk to dr about it. Thinks it’s something to do with circulation. It get a little better everyday. I was really swollen but that to, is going down everyday. As far as walking it’s spread out over the entire day. 30 minutes to 1 hour at a time. But my lower back is bothering me, so tomorrow I’m going to take it slow. Planning on going to church, so that will be about a 20 minute walk each way.

re getting lotion onto calves and feet.. no idea if this will work for you, it depends on how dexterous you are; pop some lotion onto a face flannel, and use your grabber to hold onto it and apply it. I really don't recommend putting lotion onto the soles of your feet though.. too much of a slip hazard.
That grabber is awesome - i used it to hold onto my razor and shave my legs yesterday.. (okay, i dropped the razor three times, and only managed the front parts of my calves, but yay!!)..

Hope all your swelling and everything clears up soon xx

Thanks. I will try it. Anybody have pain that bounces all over, back, knees, groin, calves, hip , thigh,entire body. I assume this is from adjusting to the new gait. How long before it all subsides, I’m 4 an half weeks out. Doing a lot of walking....

Yes, you will have pain as your body is healing and readjusting. Your habits are different now than pre-op.
Your gait is once again changing. You're sitting more often, have spent more time laying down, walking less, then more. It's going to last longer than 4 weeks so buckle up.
Everything in moderation. Follow the Activity Progression for THR.
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/
If you overdo you'll end up in the ODIC (Over Did It Club) and all that will do is stall your recovery.
Hope you have a great Sunday!
@Marvin L

Everyday get a little better, the pin n needles is slowly going away. Have some aching in my hip n thighs. And I’m so sleepy, I’m almost 5 weeks out and I’m sleeping about 12 hours a day, is that normal? I walk a good hour a day outside and drive to run a few errands everyday day and household chores. My next appt is the 18th, is that when I start rehab, my dr didn’t have me doing anything other than those home exercises, that I haven’t been doing, because of recommendations on this site, think I will do them today, assume I need to get some strength in my leg and butt. At what point are you all walking pain free with no limp, I could walk without the cane but I limp to much?

Hi @Marvin L ! I am a couple of days behind you and like you, I am still so sleepy. I could nod off at any time if I just close my eyes! :zzz: I was thinking it was because of the meds, but maybe just part of the process?
I am nowhere near ready to walk without any aids - that limp is definitely still there. So I will persevere with the one crutch. It's just so frustrating when others seem to have moved on already!
We will get there! :) :-) (:

I'm ahead of you and still hobbling with a limp so use the cane still. Its frustrating since I really don't feel I have much if any pain when walking but just can't seem to walk straight. I guess its better than last week so hopefully it won't be too long before the limp is gone....???

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean