TKR 3 weeks and counting

Getting the sleep in is hard. I scheduled in a pain-meds assisted afternoon sleep to make up for the hours missed at night, and it really helped.
I love reading, but I knew from my first TKR that my brain would be totally fogged, so I watch box sets of tv and listen to radio dramas. My favourite sleep aid is an audiobook. I can never follow the whole story because after about 30 minutes of someone reading to me I fall asleep.

I found ice really helped when the pain-meds didn’t seem to do the job.
 
So, today is officially my 3 week mark. some highs and lows.

I started PT last week, I seem to be one of the lucky few, I really like my therapist. he listens to me and whenever I say stop he stops. don't get me wrong it's still a witch.

I actually did myself in a few days ago, the weather here shot up to about 70 degrees and sunny so of course I decide to walk a marathon. OMG did I pay for that. knee swelled up and serious pain. SMH, you would think I know better. oh swell spring fever.

Sleeping is still a bear, I really hate it. I'll get 3 hours at best and usually it's severe pain that wakes me up. Still on Oxycodone and Tramadol, although I'm limiting when I use it. I usually pop a Tramadol before pt.

I'm also started experiencing the "tightness" band sensation and my scar is very itchy. Trying to keep the area around it moisturized.

Like the rest of the world Pennsylvania is in the midst of the corona virus epidemic. My job actually sent out an email saying they are going to be closed for the rest of the month. Not sure what that will do to my disability. I'm due back to work April 13th and concerned because of the lack of energy.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Week 4 anniversary and I'm entering into what I call as my "I can't believe I did this to myself" stage. :tantrum:
I think right about now I'm whiny and frustrated. Mentally I know every thing is good but emotionally I'm soooo ready for this to be over. lol

Good. I'm beginning to move pretty good. I still have the tight band feeling around my knee but my gait and step pattern is becoming normal.

Good starting to do more and more normal activities around the house. showering and personal grooming is back to normal and I'm even cooking meals now.

Bad still cannot sleep. it's ridiculous I may snatch 2 hours here and then pop back up. rinse and repeat. I'm still sleeping either in the recliner or on the couch. then when I wake up I'm stiff as a log

Bad no energy. . this is a real problem, I just feel wiped out after maybe 1 hour of doing anything. I'm really concerned because I have to go back to work in 3 weeks. Boredom is becoming a real issue.

BAD!! this stupid Covid-19 pandemic. so not only is the news thoroughly depressing, I can't invite any friends over.

thanks for listening guys, any suggestions are welcomed. stay safe and healthy.
 
9 weeks post op tomorrow ...We all have been there, and many continue to be! Time is our friend..I thought I turned the corner a few days ago, only to be slapped back into reality ..Today knee is barking, and tendons /ligaments behind knee hurt, as well as kneecap pain and aches...I wonder how much the lousy weather here in Philly area contributes to this pain today..

sleep is still a work in progress, though has improved to a degree in recent weeks..

stay positive ! We all will make it to the other side... Time is our friend
 
Your post reads like you are inside my head...We are all in this together (while also apart of course well-separated by at least 6 feet/2 metres)...:wink:

I'm a couple of weeks ahead of you...and the sleeping part is just starting to get better for me this week. I hope that is somewhat good news for you: it does get better, on the other hand it may be a while yet. Nap whenever you can. This process is definitely a marathon recovery. One (slow and slightly less painful with each day) step at a time.

Thinking of you and wishing you well.
 
6 week check-in.

Well the big news in this addition of "As the knee turns"....
I finally got a halfway decent nights sleep in a BED!! Oh sweet baby Jesus I will never ever again take for granted a comfortable bed.

My physical therapy is back open after being down for 10 days to get some type of Covid-19 protocol in place. I'm the outlier here in that I have a great PT. Evan listens to me, has never pushed down on my leg although last week I did try the "hanging of the end of the table" thing. actually that didn't hurt as much as I thought it would.
He did put these little electrodes on my thigh muscle to try and get it to contract. lol told him good luck with that. unfortunately I admit to being some what "sedentary" prior to the surgery so my quads and adducts probably weren't that great to begin with.

OK big question especially for hte ladies. Has anyone lost weight on this journey. They took some vitals saturday at PT and surprise surprise I'm down 11 pounds. :flabber: WTH???

Morning routine is still pretty ugly. when I get out of the bed my knee is really, really stiff and can't even straighten it fully out until a few steps.

walking is improving. I force myself to walk around the block each day, more so to try and keep the depression at bay. between my knee, getting furloughed (thank you sooo much covid-19) and not getting sunshine, I'm on edge
still don't have a natural gait going up and down the stairs. still doing that one leg thing. that's driving me crazy

I probably over did it yesterday simply because it was a warm day and I didn't want to go back inside.

hope everyone else is progressing well and staying safe.
 
My physical therapy is back open after being down for 10 days to get some type of Covid-19 protocol in place.
I am very concerned to read this. I would highly recommend you do not attend any PT sessions right now. You not only risk exposing yourself to Covid-19 but since a person can have the virus without symptoms for 2 weeks you risk exposing others. Please stay home and stay safe.
 
Hi eliza,

We have the same surgery date!

I noticed that you are scheduled to return to work in Mid April but have been furloughed. Is that the same as "laid off"?

I was scheduled to go back at the same time but company I work for has laid off almost everyone. I would have been included in that if I was not out for surgery.

Are you eligible for unemployment? I haven't received any notification from employer. They aren't very good at that anyway.

I was just wondering how you are handling this.
 
Hi eliza,

We have the same surgery date!

I noticed that you are scheduled to return to work in Mid April but have been furloughed. Is that the same as "laid off"?

I was scheduled to go back at the same time but company I work for has laid off almost everyone. I would have been included in that if I was not out for surgery.

Are you eligible for unemployment? I haven't received any notification from employer. They aren't very good at that anyway.

I was just wondering how you are handling this.


Hey finally,
so furloughed is a bit different. It means time off without pay but technically i'm still an employee. they are still covering my medical benefits.

Yes both situations are eligible for unemployment and please apply asap. Also if your unemployment is due to the current covid-19 you will be eligible for 600 extra each week on TOP of your usual benefits.
 
Hello Eliza. I had my right TKR 4 weeks ago. You sound like you are getting around pretty well. I just started to use my cane today. Have had a hard time with pain and swelling. Or I've just been plain scared. Ha! I have found a way to get pretty good sleep. I'm taking Melatonin 3mg at night with Magnesium 500mg along with my pain pills. I'm on hydrocodone every 6 hours. Just thought I'd share. I also sleep elevated and ice in place.
 
Do you know if I am eligible now? Don't I have to wait until my return date? I was out on unpaid leave for the surgery and the lay offs are because of corona virus. It is a temporary layoff, I hope!

Did you get any paperwork from your employer?
 
@eliza61nyc
I am very concerned to read that you are going to out patient PT. At only 6 weeks post-op, your resistance to infection will still be lowered. I don't care what precautions your PT facility is taking - you should not be going.

Your knee will recover, whether or not you go to PT, as long as you use it in your normal activities of daily living, but you need to be protecting yourself against catching Covid-19, which is running rampant at the moment..

Stay home. Stay safe.
 
I agree, this is not the time to be going to out unless you absolutely must. While formal PT in their office can be helpful, it is not an absolute must, you will do fine doing your own movements at home.

All of us around the world are encouraged to do our part by staying home as much as possible.
 
@eliza61nyc
I am very concerned to read that you are going to out patient PT. At only 6 weeks post-op, your resistance to infection will still be lowered. I don't care what precautions your PT facility is taking - you should not be going.

Your knee will recover, whether or not you go to PT, as long as you use it in your normal activities of daily living, but you need to be protecting yourself against catching Covid-19, which is running rampant at the moment..

Stay home. Stay safe.


Thanks Celle,
I did not even think about my resistance being lowered. I'll definitely be thinking this through and giving a call to my primary
 
Do you know if I am eligible now? Don't I have to wait until my return date? I was out on unpaid leave for the surgery and the lay offs are because of corona virus. It is a temporary layoff, I hope!

Did you get any paperwork from your employer?

Yes, we got an official email and we are supposed to get a package in the mail. I work in Delaware and they have a box on their form asking if the furlough/layoff is an result of covid 19. You are eligible from the official date of layoff.

I'm with you, hoping this is just temporary. it sucks doesn't it. now I went out on short term disability which was paid.
 
Just chiming in about going to physical therapy. Mine closed 2 weeks ago. My therapist was diagnosed with covid. It was a long 2 weeks stressing over every sneeze. I was very lucky, I am fine.

They just opened up again but I am not going. Being exposed made it very real. Not going to risk it again.
 
I feel ya about the sleeping.
Im 2 1/2 weeks out and I DREAD going to bed. Literally gives me anxiety just thinking about it :(
 
My PT sessions are done exclusively via telemedicine (video over computer) and it works really well. For safety of yourself and others, perhaps you could ask for this option.
 
Does anyone have issues with a stiff knee/leg when waking up?? It's a pain (literally and figuratively) I try to keep my leg straight when I sleep but I miss move during the night. when I get out of bed and try and take that first step, it takes quite a few steps to get the knee to straighten and get moving.

anyone else experience this? I'll be 7 weeks this Monday
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom