Reverse Shoulder Replacement 3 days after surgery

golfagain

Country
United States United States
having trouble typing one handed. surgery went well. pain meds caused a lot of dizziness and nausea. one night in the hospital. i have cut the pain med in half and the pain is easing already. i know i have a lot of work ahead but i am looking forward to the end game and good function. i had a repair done to this shoulder in 2009 and so far this is far less painful.

@golfagain Welcome to the other side! Ask for anti-nausea medication if you need it. Sounds like you are already making progress with pain management.

Please keep us updated.

fair amount of swelling in my operative arm even below the elbow. probably normal but have others experienced this?

@golfagain you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a different thread title just give a shout.

Post op swelling is totally normal. Are you icing your shoulder? Ice for 45-60 minutes several times per day. Be sure and put a towel or cloth between your skin and any ice pack.

4 weeks since reverse total shoulder replacement and I have a dilemma. I started PT but I am concerned about the busy and close quarters of the facility for treatments. With the pandemic still big in my area (florida) I am concerned about the chance of an infection. The therapists are wonderful and I know I need to work my shoulder to get it back. Any ideas of how to do this without putting myself in jeopardy? If any of you who have gone through this with success, I would love to hear from you.

@golfagain I surprised that PT area has not offered to do your sessions via a video link. I certainly would not feel safe given the current situation. Are the team wearing full PPE?

I would give the office a call and discuss your concerns with them.

9 weeks now after reverse replacement, I did 3 weeks of pt at home with the therapist coming to my location twice a week followed by 3 weeks of pt at the on site location twice weekly. Pretty intense work on the muscles and range of motion. I am now doing the excercises at home for the next couple of weeks and then see the surgeon at week 12. Still painful on the tip of the shoulder and the top and back of the shoulder (probably just muscles). the range of motion is getting very good except the inability to go behind my back. I can put the hand behind my back using the other hand and then can move it up and down without assistance. Just wondering if this level of progress is comparable to others at this point. Thanks in advance for your input.

Just wondering if this level of progress is comparable to others at this point.
Please don't compare your recovery to any other recovery. Everyone is different and we all progress at our own pace.

Sounds to me as if you are doing very well for 9 weeks out! Please let us know how your appointment with the surgeon goes.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Hyde
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom