TKR 2nd TKR in 4 months

Mom1643

Country
United States United States
Hi!! I had my first TKR on right knee Jan 26th 2024. It went well and recovery was difficult got through the first 9 weeks ok. I then had my left knee done March 25th 2024 because the pain was just getting terrible and it hurt to walk. What was I thinking???? Omgosh this left knee has been completely different and the pain seems to he worse. I'm at almost 4 weeks out and still needing to take oxycodone about every 4, 6 hours!! Night is the worst. I just added 800 mg of advil which seems to help. Is this normal? Or am I just being a weeny!!!!!

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart and recovery! Thanks for joining us.
You've been through a lot! Two major surgeries within two months and only one month since the most recent.
Pain is part of the healing process. You're not being weak. I am not sure if you're engaging in PT or not, but if you are it may be too much for you at this point. I will leave our Recovery Guidelines which I feel you'll find beneficial. If you're not icing, read that article for sure as it can really help ease the pain.

Wishing you lots of comfort.

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs
The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Nutrition is of paramount importance. Available here are dietary tips, nutrition basics and additional food supplements. These articles are both general advice on food and specific guidelines aimed at people both pre- and post-surgery.

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
@Mom1643

Definitely NOT a weeny!!!!

You've barely started healing from one major surgery and now you've had another. Virtually all your energy is needed to heal, so give yourself permission to treat yourself with TLC.

Like Layla says, icing is really helpful. Many of us spent the first weeks reclining with the ice on nearly continuously - as long as there's a fabric between you and the cold pack it's not harmful.

In the first 2-3weeks, heeding my ortho teams' advice that "less is better," I spent most of the day in a recliner, ice on, leg elevated. I got up for my brief walk every hour plus hygiene and meals. I didn't do exercises except just some random quad sets (to wake up the muscle and promote circulation and range of motion without stressing the joint) and the ankle moves to reduce the risk of clots.

I now have two functional knees that like to take long walks, do tai chi, and garden. It's a long slow process, but it starts with respecting the need to heal.

Hello and Happy Saturday!
How is your recovery going? Lefty just passed the one month post op milestone and, Righty, three months.
Any words of wisdom for those following behind you? We'd love to hear from you. :)
Happy One and Three Month Anniversary!
@Mom1643

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
IceWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back