Guest viewing is limited

THR 2 years THR

Soft tissues and muscles can get aggravated years out from surgery. Lifting anything heavy, pushing or pulling something heavy or twisting oddly can anger that hip. If resting eases this then it may be activity related.

Does icing the area ease this at all?
 
Thank you @Jaycey . Was just walking when I felt the strange sensation but a couple of days earlier had to be a contortionist to get in my car, knees much higher than hips and had to spin round? Not sure really where to ice. Worried about trying it on incision. What do you think? And many thanks for your replies very kind of you to take the time.
 
Twisting a strange way always aggravates a fairly new hip.
Not sure really where to ice. Worried about trying it on incision.
It's perfectly fine to ice on the incision. Always wrap the ice pack in a tea towel or any cloth so that you avoid burning your skin. Ice for 45-60 minutes several times per day.
And many thanks for your replies very kind of you to take the time.
No problem at all. That's what we are here for!

Please let us know how you get on.
 
Thank you @Jaycey . Will start icing. Hopefully that will work and not going too crazy running about. If it's the same procedure as when I first had the implant will take it slowly, some light walking and resting. Thank you to those who have contacted me.

For those of you who have recently had the implant, there will be a lot of ping, zap, ouch, ooh, along the way and as you have time on your hands this will lead to more and more worries, and nearly all of them can be addressed and answered on Bonesmart. It is a long haul for some so stick with it. I could barely walk 10 yards/metres when I had mine done and although it took quite some time, was able to do a 5/6 mile walk without being in pain. I think I am having a setback at the moment but now know to take it easy to get it back to good again. It may take time but so be it.
 
For those of you who have recently had the implant, there will be a lot of ping, zap, ouch, ooh, along the way and as you have time on your hands this will lead to more and more worries, and nearly all of them can be addressed and answered on Bonesmart

On behalf of BoneSmart, Thank You for your vote of confidence, it’s much appreciated.
I hope your setback is short lived and wish you comfort as you’re bouncing back and moving forward.

A beautiful day to you! :SUNsmile:
 
@DK63 really interested to find out how you get on. I haven't heard an explanation like the one your doctor gave you in terms of muscle/tissue healing but hopefully his advice is based on experience so it must be credible. I have had a similar situation. I actually paid for an x-ray and MRI because I was so worried about the THR itself and convinced myself I had done something to it. I totally understand your anxiety … it's awful isn't it.
My pain started in the groin and hip but the groin pain has lessened and its really bad on the boney outside of the hip and deep in my glutei. Throbbing/aching 24/7, nighttime is awful and I can't sleep on the THR side. Despite the scans being clear they think it might be trochanter pain syndrome. I have no idea if they/I am clutching at straws though. Has this been considered for you?
 
Hi @jean1702 and thanks for your message. Have been icing on incision scar and it seems to have eased/or because I am taking it very easy. As for my Doctor do not know if his reasoning is right or but as we are clutching at straws I will clutch at the one he gave. When I spoke to Osteopath on the phone he said that trochanter, hip flexor, tendonitis all had to be considered and looked into so when I eventually go to see one will let you know.

I think our main problems are self diagnosis and conjecture. As, in my case it really does feel like 3 to 4 months after the THR, I am trying to copy everything I did then, although I did pay privately for physio to release various muscles and all the other bits about 4 months after the surgery. It is so easy to imagine the worst scenario and we must try to avoid that if possible, although really hard to do.
 
@DK63 just a quick question, do you have pain at night and is the pain 24/7 or are you able to get total relief by resting and/or putting yourself in any particular position?
 
@jean1702 . Yesterday, pretty much pain free and went for a 15 minute walk. Today, not so great at all, walk okay, needed to charge car battery so went for a 15 minute drive and now back to ouch, icing, laying down, paracetamol. Night time for me is starting about 9PM as sitting up is really painful although I got a coccyx little seat and that helps. Sleep intermittent and always wake up about 4.30am. Then some pain killers....ice. and fingers crossed.
 
I'm afraid I am spending too much time on google looking at all the possibilities which is doing my head in. I think the anxiety is worse than the physical discomfort! Has your groin pain alleviated?
 
@jean1702 Agreed...and the possibilities are endless of what you think we may have!! or imagine we have. Groin pain seems to have gone but who knows? At least when all this disappears and we are tickety boo again we will be experts on trochanters, bursitis, psoas, tendonitis, illiowhatsisname and the lesser known oohithurtswhatisit syndrome
 
Exactly ... I had never heard of any of these alignments before … now my search engine history has little else! Oh to be tickety boo again … an episode like this makes you realise that health is everything.
 
@jean1702 I had to speak to my surgeon in November about having my other hip done and told him I was having a few niggles with the operated one. "That's normal" he said. Well he did not say that when I had it done. Also, was not aware there were certain things not to do for life, certain positions I mean, after THR, which was explained to me 2 years later. Also maybe should not have gone back to my very physical job 4 months after THR, not explained either. I do think though that maybe you need to do the ice and rest and some painkillers although insure if you heat or ice trochanter bursitis, psoas etc but I am sure someone in this site will know.
 
@DK63 wondering how are you feeling? Any improvement at all / is anything helping?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @jean1702 and ta very much for asking. Mixed bag really as apparently I now have diverticulitis to add to my growing list of woes. I now realise how true it is that at my age is now Specs and drugs and Sausage rolls, and lots of talk of illness, pain, etc etc. Anyhoo, still getting twinges in front of thigh and along incision and some ping sensations so am icing quite a bit. Actually icing both hips as need to have other one done and is playing up a bit at the moment. I am using a cane when I go for walks. How are you doing @jean1702 ? Am following your page. I really do think that our system just exacerbates our neuroses. Trying to get to someone to explain or understand is so difficult, prior to Covid as well. So we are left to Dr Google and judging by symptoms you have, it could be any one of 6 or 7 things and maybe even none of those. I would guess, stop everything, rest, ice and elevate and go from there. Really frustrating but probably necessary.

Also, I have found, that if I can occupy my mind with something else (which is really difficult) that brings some relief...although difficult to ignore pain. Problem is that it is all consuming and we are at the stage that it's all we can think and talk about so we get no respite. Then get stressed, which then brings on more things .....vicious circle but you are with like minded people and helpful people on this website to help you through it...my guess is the only question that could not be answered here is what happens if a flying saucer hits me on the hip.....I think every other hip implant topic is covered and people willing to help you.
 
Oh, nearly forgot @jean1702 ...still have pain in glute/bum when doing too much. Or as a friend put it, a pain in the bum has a pain in the bum.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom