Bilateral TKR 2 years out and facing up to facts

Thank you, everyone, for your input and support. Ginger and Raindancer, so you are still around too! Will catch up on your threads.
 
After three years living with botched knees, I have decided not to have the revision until things get intolerable. I have been able to go on 5 diving holidays, and have found that each one has been less difficult and painful. So it is very true that improvement can go on well into year three.
However, my knees are still unpredictable, and painful episodes still happen due to the deficiencies in the workmanship of the ops. But whilst I am still young enough to dive, and put up with the arduous journey to the best corners of the planet, I do not want to lose another year plus of recovery, and risk never being able to dive again.
My surgeon is of the opinion that my knee will not just suddenly collapse, but just get worse again over time. Also, that there is nothing to be gained from having it done sooner rather than later.
So I have decided that chickening out is the best option for me for now.
I’ll be back at some time, hopefully not too soon.
 
After three years living with botched knees, I have decided not to have the revision until things get intolerable. I have been able to go on 5 diving holidays, and have found that each one has been less difficult and painful. So it is very true that improvement can go on well into year three.
However, my knees are still unpredictable, and painful episodes still happen due to the deficiencies in the workmanship of the ops. But whilst I am still young enough to dive, and put up with the arduous journey to the best corners of the planet, I do not want to lose another year plus of recovery, and risk never being able to dive again.
My surgeon is of the opinion that my knee will not just suddenly collapse, but just get worse again over time. Also, that there is nothing to be gained from having it done sooner rather than later.
So I have decided that chickening out is the best option for me for now.
I’ll be back at some time, hopefully not too soon.
That sounds like a very sensible approach. You will know when the time is right. . Enjoy your adventure's in the meantime. ✈
 
After three years living with botched knees, I have decided not to have the revision until things get intolerable
I can really understand and sympathise- particularly if you are able to do the things you love.
If you do want surgery in the future and are coming to London- I would strongly recommend my surgeon Mr Alex Liddle ( NHS at Charing Cross and private at King Edward's). He is also a senior lecturer at Imperial medical school and has done a lot of research on knee replacement.
He is an excellent surgeon and I believe would be very good at correcting rotational errors ( which I believe you said was your problem post- op?). He straightened my very valgus leg ( 20 degree plus) with just a PKR- which is remarkable. He is also a great communicator and I would trust his opinion.
 
Thank you, @EalingGran, for the recommendation. Having trawled through 1000s on the NJR, I have been seeing @Toothfairy’s chap in Southampton although it’s a trek for me (that’s once I get back in the U.K.). I have tried to avoid London due to logistics post surgery, and who I can foist myself upon in the early post op period. When the time comes, I will of course review everything, so am grateful for your suggestion.
 
So I have decided that chickening out is the best option for me for now.
You're hardly chickening it out. :wink: You're living life and waiting for a better time to endure
surgery/ recovery.
Sorry you have to face the revision at some point and like you, I hope it's not too soon.
Until then...enjoy life and know that we're here if you need us! :)
 
Do you still have your posterior cruciate ligamentS? Mine were removed, I still don’t quite know why.
My OS told me to not worry about MCL,ACL and other ligaments. They are all removed when they do surgery and the new metal knee itself has the new ligaments so to speak, The unstable of the knee is caused by being weak and healing but it will get better has it heals inside. Just give it time.....
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom