THR 2 days after

Status
Not open for further replies.

aardvark3

Country
Ireland Ireland
Dear Josephine! Must slightly correct you. During my screws & bars removal small fracture occurred and my surgeon had to put a special on it to prevent further damage. It means I can walk but on my tip toes for a couple of weeks. It will heal eventually. Otherwise i'm OK.

Hi folks! Underwent my RTHR on monday 29th, everything went good except small fracture during pins removal (i had hip pinning before). So they had to put the special band to reinforce the bone and prevent further damage. I have to be a bit more careful when bearing the weight until the crack heals.

Oh no- well take it slow and steady!!!! I'm glad you are on the otherside and look forward to watching your journey!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@aardvark3 Welcome to the other side! Sorry you had that fracture. It does happen but the good news is it will heal. Just obey any restrictions your OS gave you.

I'll leave your post op reading list here for you to refer to through this journey. Be sure and get those mantras going.
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Thank you lots! It's very helpful and puts me at ease. Unfortunately they dont provide any ice for swelling in my hospital. I requested one but still waiting... Anyway back home on Saturday and can make my own ice packs. I'm quite positive despite some odds. My veins are a pain in the hole for iv drips and i'm always so sorry for the nurse who has to deal with it. Today they had to call a nurse from another ward to put a cannula into my wrist and bingo! It works a dream. But suddenly a nasty surprise - i cannot walk on crutches, it hurts my wrist where the cannula is inserted! I'm somehow laughing at it bu it won't be funny when i need to go to the loo...
Just a day on the ward :heehee:

I had the same problem with the cannula in my wrist. Then, the physical therapist was unhappy that I wasn't using my crutches properly. It was a nuisance, but not the end of the world. I just focused on getting home. It's much less stressful when you are back in your own place.

my surgeon had to put a special on it to prevent further damage
Oh I see.
So they had to put the special band to reinforce the bone and prevent further damage.
Ah, a Dall Miles cable!
Dall-Miles cables.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Josephine, he sai "band" so probably means dall millers cable. Anything that help me beal is welcome. And i am allowed to bear as much weight as i can. My OS said there's no need for so much antibiotics and they removed my cannula after a last drip yesterday afternoon. So i grabbed my crutches and zipped along outside to the lovely, sunny day.

It's so good to get out in the sunshine. I'm sure all my anxieties and "bad days" happened when the weather was dull and rainy!

Today the weather isn't on my side and had quite bad sleep :/ But happy for being home and we'll see in the next couple of days how to organise my day better. I've found myself having literally nothing to do. It's so frustrating. Also i don't want to go upstairs for a short lay down in case i go for a nap then i couldn't sleep in the night. Plus the up-down journey. Not encouraging though ;) Leg is swollen but that's quite normal. No excessive pain or ache. Post-op blues i presume and OCD strikes with many things being in the wrong places (or just straight on the counter which i despise). Upset stomach after medications. Well, walking around the ground floor (which is quite roomy and not much obstructed with furniture etc) i find rather relaxing also some light exercises. Yesterday straight after hospital we went to the chemist so i had my walk already :) Today will see - but i do really want to go out even for a couple of minutes.

Don't fight the naps. Sleep problems are a part of this recovery. Nap whenever you can.
Upset stomach after medications.
Be sure you have something in your stomach when you take any meds. I found a bit of yogurt worked well.
but i do really want to go out even for a couple of minutes.
By all means venture out if weather permits but only for a very short distance an take your walking aides.

Just remember this situation is temporary. A short space of time for a lifetime without hip pain.

Also - do we all get something like a pass with all our implants listed? With serial numbers etc?
They said it has to be produced at the airport or anywhere with security scan gates and of course it makes sense though.
It says: "Bearer of this card has an orthopaedic implant".

do we all get something like a pass with all our implants listed? With serial numbers etc?
I think in some areas this was the case at one time. But most security areas won't take any declaration cards anymore. They scan automatically. If you go through the large body scanners they pick up your implants anyway. If not, just tell security staff that you have had THR. They will find guard to scan you manually with a handheld. I have traveled internationally and only set off the alarm once on an internal flight in the US.

Thanks Everyone, feeling better everyday, no issues, no pains, mild problems with sleep (probably not much related to the operation itself, although some mild post-op ache still lingers).

Jaycey - definitely same operation and sleeping only on the back - but i'm in the middle of discovering some harrowing truth about my family. It keeps me awake and thinking.

But here in Ireland doctors are not too keen to prescribe sleeping pills - i got my prescription for...7 pills. On the one side i do understand them, they're addictive, some people may abuse them etc and all on this doctor's conscience. But there should be different standards for post-op people who had to change their lifestyle drastically because of it - and, of course, temporarily! If i had a normal life and activity i don't need any pills to sleep in the night! And i'm not a big fan of any induced sleep, don't take me wrong. Just laying in bed on my back (ouch!) for hours is not amongst my favourite ways of relaxation - especially in the middle of the night :/ Also my back hurts because i cannot change my position - unless i get up and sit :/

@aardvark3 try putting a pillow under your knees when you are sleeping on your back. It takes the pressure off your lower spine and may help ease the back pain. Hang in there - it does get easier!

Well - i've got about 28 days supply of tablets that prevent blood clots also the same of iron containing tablets. The side effect is slight nausea and upset stomach. Often wakes me up. Not complaining, as i was warned about it - someone may find this info useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads