TKR 10 Months after RTKR

Hi, mine was done a week earlier than yours but although my flexion and extension are really good, I am no further ahead than you. Right now I struggle with pain at night and a catching discomfort on the outside of the knee, which affects my walking. So I am taking it slow. Have finally accepted that it will be a six month recovery. I did zero physio, right now I just stretch, walk a little and ride my stationary bike. When I walk my gait is pretty much perfect but I plan to focus on strengthening the leg once the swelling goes down. Good luck with the return to work.
 
I too have the IT band issue. I really detest this knee at times. Lol.
 
All you IT band folks, have you considered that after your TKR you may need new shoes? It is well known among runners that worn shoes can cause IT band problems. After your TKR, your leg may have been straightened and the change in angle could cause a problem.
 
@WFD my leg was straightened. I'll address this at my 14 week checkup if it's still bothering me. You would think my surgeon would have given me a heads-up if that is something that happens frequently. My PT never mentioned this to me either.
 
I had issues with my ankle due to the change in angle, and neither the OS or PT mentioned it. I think it’s one of the many things they don’t tell you or are not really aware of.
 
My right leg was straightened as well, causing my body's balance to change. Neither my surgeon (whom I think is absolutely the greatest) nor my physio (whom I also think is fantastic) mentioned this happening ... I guess, it was more or less "given" that it'd happen. It was when I first stood up in the recovery room that I felt my right side was taller than the left, so I assumed (correctly) that the leg was now straight and thus a tad longer than before.

A side effect of this has been my left knee, rear left hip, and left lower back would progressively complain louder whenever I walk more than an hour. I'm hoping that after my April 2022 LTKR, things'll balance out nicely --- but I should remember to ask the surgeon about this when we have my pre-op meeting.

All the best on your rehabbing!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well I've been back to work since March 6th. I work 10 hour shifts right now. My employer is making us 4 10's come in 4 hours early and work 14 hour shifts when they deem it necessary. I'm having enough problems working the 10 hour shift. My leg is super stiff by the end of the night. I stand most of my shift and will be seeing my doctor next week to see if he will write me a note excusing me from mandatory overtime. I feel like my leg hasn't improved at all with the stiffness. I'm constantly stretching, bending and massaging it. The only good thing about this knee is I can put my full weight on it. Otherwise my old knee wasn't as stiff and didn't wake me up all night long when I moved positions. It's been 15 weeks since surgery and I really don't like my knee. No one tells you to expect this after surgery. I am frustrated.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry you are frustrated. :sad: I'm willing to bet the reason you don't like your knee is because you are doing way too much way too early. 15 weeks and having to be 10-14 hrs on your feet is just way too much for a baby knee. No wonder you are waking up at night and hurting! :fingersx: that your doctor will write you a note to your boss to cut your hours back quite a bit.

When you say "my old knee wasn't as stiff" have you had a previous replacement? If so, let us know when that was and we can put it in your signature. :flwrysmile:
 
It's been four months for my new knee. Every day seems different from morning to night. Rubber band feeling first thing in the morning. Different after few stretches and exercises. My troubles start when I put my trousers on. Yes you read it right my knee just does not like to get dressed. I have asked my physio about this but she has not come up with the answer. Getting dressed sets the tone for the rest of the day. Some days it settles but most days it feels very strange. Haven't got the balance between resting and exercises. But hopefully with time and patience things will improve. It's a long road to recovery and all of us December Supernova's will get to the end of it. Take care Jcx.
 
I've been working for the past month. My employer is mandating OT and I had to work a 14 hour day. I'm on my feet the majority of that time and can hardly bend my leg after my 10 hour shifts let alone 14 hours. My knee is so tight and stiff currently. It's been 4 months since my TKR and I had a doctor's appt today with my surgeon. He stated I shouldn't be so stiff and in pain at this point, and said he suspects an infection if that's the case. They did a blood draw and my surgeon provided me with a note to my employer saying no OT for the duration of the year. I was also offered steroid pills, but refused. Has anyone else been in this situation?
 
4 months is only one third healed in this year long recovery. I could never have stood for even a couple of hours, let alone 10-14, at 3 and 4 months post op. No wonder your knee is so tight and stiff.

I‘m glad your surgeon is running tests, but I would be surprised if anything shows up. I don’t understand why he thinks a 10 hour day should ok for you at this point.

Try to do as little as possible when you are home from work. Also, try to elevate all night when you are sleeping, preferably with an ice machine, or gel packs.
 
Many surgeries have shorter recovery times, and people are able to work hard again 4 months out. But a TKR is not the same. Although many patients feel much better at around 3 months, there is still a lot of healing going on for 12 months, and sometimes even longer. Healing means a lot of your energy is being directed to your knee, so your energy levels and stamina are down. Plus, with the healing still going on, your knee is still sensitive and needs TLC.

Standing, or even sitting with your leg down, for hours and hours, is difficult for a baby knee. Do everything you can to avoid activities that are causing the pain and swelling. Try to spend time at work sitting with your leg elevated and iced, if at all possible. If needed, get another note from your doctor stating your limits and for how long, and maybe an order to be allowed to elevate and ice on a regular basis. Workplaces have to accommodate many people for many reasons, so this shouldn't be difficult for them to handle.

At home, do as little as you possibly can, and spend your time elevating and icing.
 
Unfortunately I work security at TSA and get very little sit down time. Maybe 2 hours total for the entire shift. If I go on light duty they have the option to say I'm unfit for duty and send me home. They've been known to do that before and I don't want to use any more of my sick time than I have to. I've already used 12 weeks for the year. I was wondering what the steroid pills would help with and if any of you have been on them? When I think of "steroid" I think of unwanted hair in places I don't need IT. LOL! BTW.... in May I'll be doing 5 8's instead of 4 10's so that should help me too.
 
I'm not a doctor, but as I recall, steroids are used to help with arthritis (among other things) but since you had a TKR, you no longer have your own joint, but an implant. If you're thinking about using them to help your knee heal faster, IMHO, the cause of your increased pain and swelling is the hours (and hours, and hours) you're on your feet at 4 months post TKR. Your knee is telling you it's just not able to handle all the hours and activities it's being required to do right now. It's still healing, and slowing down is what it's telling you it needs. If that's not possible, then it'll be a rough road for a while, and may take somewhat longer to fully heal and thus settle down when you work long hours.

It's your decision, but personally I'd rather allow my knee to heal at it's own pace rather than introduce a synthetic steroid into my body to try and force it to heal at my preferred pace, which may not even have the desired result.
 
Unfortunately your job is hindering your recovery. Your knee is going to respond the way it needs to, when you’re on your feet for so many hours a day, and I doubt there are any medications to override that. I’m really sorry about that, but that’s the way it is. I don‘t know what to suggest to help you do your job while your knee is in this healing state. :console2:
 
I was wondering what the steroid pills would help with and if any of you have been on them?

I have been given them twice or three times over the course of four surgeries, one time just a week or two ago. I was prescribed a Medrol Dose-Pak which is a set of tablets taken for six days - 6 tablets the first day, 5 the next, and so on.

The active ingredient is methylprednisone, a catabolic steroid which has strong anti-inflammatory properties. They are the opposite of anabolic steroids, which are prescribed to drive muscle growth and can have side effects such as you speak of. The steroids you might be prescribed are not like that.

They can have their own negative side effects - they can suppress the healing process, increase the chances of an infection, and with high doses or repeated use, can degrade connective tissue.

I found that they would drive down the temperature of my surgical knee to match the non-surgical knee, but only while I was on them - the effect went away as soon as the six days were up. I had little or no decrease in swelling. I won't be taking them again - I don't think I got enough benefit to justify the risk of negative side effects.

Some people report a marked decrease in pain but that did not happen to me. I suspect a doctor would not prescribe them to someone to let them survive a 14 hour day on their feet - that seems borderline unethical to me.

I agree with the others - if your knee can't take a 14 hour day at the four month point, forcing it may not turn out well in the end.

If you *have* to do it, you might try a tight neoprene sleeve such as is sold at sporting goods stores. I use one when I have to be on my feet more than I should, and the extra support seems to help. The tight neoprene sleeves with velcro straps you can tighten are the best, much better than the woven elastic knee sleeves.
 
Thank you for the input, WFD. The surgeon did say prednisone and steroid, but I try not to take anything unless absolutely necessary. As for him prescribing the pills to keep me on my feet for 14 hours, no...... he wants to help with the pain and swelling in currently experiencing. He wrote me a note saying no OT for the duration of the year. Now to see what my employer says.
 
Hi all. It's been 10 months after my surgery and I'm still having issues with my knee. My surgeon seems stumped why I still have soft tissue swelling on the outside of my knee. I also have pain going up the stairs. My knee feels like it has marbles rolling over one another when I put weight on it going up the stairs. There's also a tendon or something catching on the side and you can feel it popping with your hand as well as hear it. My surgeon has felt it and just doesn't seem to have an idea. Now I've torn the medial root in my left knew as well as the lateral root and he talked me into repairing it and being non weight bearing for 6 weeks. At this point I do not want another knee replacement down the road so I'm going to try this surgery where they reattach the root to bone with sutures. I'm scared of being in a brace and on crutches the entire time. I'm not sure how my knee replacement is going to support me during the entire 6 weeks either. Has anyone experienced this root repair surgery?
 
Hi Stiffy,
You’re going through a LOT!
Maybe it’s time to get a 2nd opinion on your existing TKR I always think a fresh pair of eyes on a problem like yours can make all the difference.

If you can get your meniscus repaired go for it!!! I just wish that had been an option for me. That means you’ll be putting off or eliminating the need for a TKR! Something to be avoided if at all possible there’s nothing like a real knee!!!!!

I hope everything turns out well for you ❤️
 
:wave:@Stiffy

There is a member @Tripplefun who has had the surgery you describe... along with a hip replacement!
Maybe they will pop in with some thoughts on recovery.

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
If you would like a new thread title let us know.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom