1/25/11 anterior THR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruby Red

Country
United States United States
Hi ~ I had an anterior total hip replacement on January 25, 2011. I believe this all started with some arthritis and eventually a torn labrum. The torn labrum I had for two years, but was not diagnosed until a surgeon did arthroscopic surgery in July 2010. By then, the tear was extensive. It was removed and some bone was shaved. Recovery was difficult.

Two months after the surgery, I was able to walk for about 1/2 mile or more with no pain. As I became more active, the pain worsened. I was back on crutches by the end of October 2010. I contacted another surgeon in December for a second opinion who told me my hip joint was "obliterated" and scheduled me for a THR a month and half later.

The first surgeon said to expect to have to get a new hip in about ten years. I was not expecting total deterioration in less than six months, so was shocked to hear this news. I ended up with a great surgeon though who did the minimally invasive anterior approach. I don't know what type of implant I have yet, or anything about the procedure, but will get all the details when I see him in March for my first post-op appt.

I am almost ready to walk with one crutch. :th_jumpy: I had been in PT prior to the surgery and I'm sure it has helped with my recovery, although I understand recovery from this procedure is easier than with the traditional surgery anyway. I have been very active most of my life but since the hip began it's decline, have been able to do less and less of the things I enjoy. I was on crutches about 5-6 months total last year. I was very happy to hear from the surgeon who did the THR that I will have no restrictions or precautions and I will be able to gradually resume activity again, although I will be proceeding with caution. The other hip aches on occasion, so I am prepared for the possibility I may need a second hip replacement at some point.

I was on Oxycodone, since the THR, until yesterday when my prescription ran out. I switched to Tramadol and Aleve last night. I was not on an anti-inflammatory since the surgery, but overnight the Aleve has helped with what has felt like sciatic pain and some other minor surgically related aches and pains as well.

I still have some incisional pain and have a hard time finding a comfortable position for sleeping. I was told not to sleep on the "good" hip side; I can't sleep on the operated hip side yet without pain; and when I sleep on my back I get what I think is sciatic pain down the back of my legs, which is helped by Aleve - yeah! :th_yahoo:

I am working with a PT that comes to the house a couple times a week and will eventually go back to outpatient PT. I improve on a daily basis and did very well even immediately after the surgery and I'm looking forward to spring and getting out and about!

Mary Jane
Right hip arthroscopy - July 9, 2010
Anterior THR - right hip - January 25, 2011

Hi Mary Jane, welcome to BoneSmart! So glad you joined us.

It sounds like you are doing very well for such early days. The aches and pains and sciatic pain are all normal as is the other hip acting up. You are now carrying your weight totally different and things are shifting after having a limp for so long. Things will settle soon.

Are you icing your incision area at all? It really does help.

I hope you can spend some time in the Library. There are lots of tips and tricks there as well as some information on healing and how long we should expect healing to take.

Hi, Mary Jane and welcome!

I'm 6 weeks post op from Bilateral THR and it took me a while to find a relatively comfortable sleeping position. I've had to sleep on my back with a pillow between my legs. To make it more comfortable I've elevated my head a shoulders just a bit and I use a rolled towel as a lumbar support (started doing that after I had some pain in my back on the recommendation of my PT). So I guess my advice would be to play with your pillows:)

I also dveloped some pain that I thought was sciatica and my PT has been working with me on that. The current thought is that it's really a referred pain from (in my case) the gluteus minimus muscle. It has really eased up a great deal with some massage. You may want to speak to your PT about yours and see if they have any suggestions.

I certainly know what you mean about looking forward to Spring!!!

Thank you Jaycey and Celeste for your prompt responses and suggestions! I have been icing religiously and it helps a lot. I like the rolled towel for lumbar support idea. That could help a lot. My PT told me not to put my legs on pillows when I'm lying on my back. I'm not sure why, though it does sometimes feel better, other times it aggravates the sciatic pain, or whatever is going on there.

Celeste, you had a bilateral THR??! How on earth do you manage? I can't even imagine going through that. My best to you in your recovery.

Mary Jane

I had my op a week before you and we seem to be getting along at a similar pace. Mine was a posterior cementless and I also had to have a bone graft. I find sleeping a real trial. I hate sleeping on my back and wake up numerous times during the night. My lovely hubby makes me a flask of tea and I often resort to reading before trying to settle again. Using lots of pillows helps.
Cathy :thmb:

I'm getting used to sleeping on my back, but love sleeping on my side better! I lay on a mountain of pillows to keep me bolstered up. It's kind of funny the numbers of pillows I need. I'll get used to the back sleeping though and know it's only temporary. I take a nap every day which helps a lot.

Your husband sounds like a gem! Mine has been wonderful throughout this whole ordeal, which has been very helpful. My mother is here now and will be leaving on Thursday. Then I will be on my own during the day, but I think I can manage pretty well at this point.

I am ready to move around a little more. I'm hoping the PT says I can use my stationary bike soon as there isn't a lot of space to walk distances in my house and we are buried in snow here so it's too dangerous to try walking outdoors.

Dear MaryJane,
Welcome to the club!

Glad you found the site. There aren't a lot of us Anterior Alumni here yet, but the numbers are growing, Had mine on 1/31/11.....1 week post op. I've been very fortunate so far with a very speedy recovery. This is mostly attributable to my not waiting long between diagnosis and operation. Like you I had a very sudden onset of symptons. My OA had gone on for some time without serious discomfort and then hit big time last summer.

I also have no restrictions and no formal PT and have been ambulatory since last Wednesday. This is one of the prime advantages of the Anterior Approuch. Ultimately, everyone regardless of technique will get to the same place, hopefully we may get there a little faster.

I've noticed the same thing you mentioned i.e. I had a little more spring in my step the first few days after surgery than I do now. I suspect that's because I.m actually using the muscles as I enjoy my frequent walks. Perhaps there was a little residual anesthetic still floating around. Either way, it's so much better now than before that I'm not complaining.

I now sleep straight thru, but don't lie on the incision.You might ask about adding a non-inflammatory. Most of the pain I do have is muscle and tissue and the Celebrex certainly helps.

I did a lot of research before settling on the Anterior procedure. If your interested post facto in the details you might look at my threads in the PreOp forum.

Again, welcome.

Texas Jack - That's fantastic that you are doing so well! I can't believe it's only been a week and you're posting on here already. You sound so alert! I just came out of the fog after getting off oxycodone yesterday. I switched to Aleve last night and Tramadol. The Aleve made a huge difference. I'm not sure why I wasn't given an anti-inflammatory, or told to take one, after I left the hospital.

I actually think that my arthroscopic surgery last July should have been a total hip replacement and that there were errors made on that surgeon's part - like not taking an x-ray prior to the arthroscopic surgery which would have shown a lot of the deterioration. He didn't do THR's, but should have referred me to someone else, in my opinion. But what's done is done. I had been in pain for two years, but it totally fell apart after the labral excision in July. My current surgeon said he will keep a close eye on the other hip and I won't hesitate to have the procedure asap instead of going through so much loss of time and so much pain.

Hi, Mary Jane, and welcome to BoneSmart! You're right, he should have referred you on and what's done really is done! Having to have it converted to a THR so soon is really bad news.

However, I see you had your surgery done about 2 weeks ago. Now I know anteriors have a faster recovery time but you really didn't expect it to be only 2 weeks, did you? :th_heehee: Would actually be more like 2 months, you know. It might be a small incision and all but your body's still had major surgery so you can't expect to bounce back that quickly.

I recommend you read these threads and then have a browse around in the Library after.

Pain management and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Some suggestions for home physio (PT)

Hi Josephine! I'm so happy I found this thread!

I didn't realize I gave the impression I was expecting a two week recovery time. Not initially knowing much about the different approaches and recovery times, I was thinking it would be at least a few months. I am very pleased with how well I am doing now and it feels like I improve by leaps and bounds every day.

Thanks for the links. I will look them over!

Oh that's okay then! And yes, you are doing extremely well! Good for you!

Dear Maryjane,

Hope I didn't come across as a poster boy or salesman for Anterior. The rapidity of my recovery todate comes as a complete surprise to everyone, including myself. I have to be careful not to get too passe and overdo my exercise and at the same time not fall back into depression worrying that it will all fall apart.

I was told that unlike most procedures I would not have restrictions (90 degree rule, no weight bearing, etc.) and would probably not have a regular, scheduled PT regimine. However, the full recovery would take several months...all dependent on my own specific physical conditions. I can only guess that my progress todate is because a) a very skillful surgeon b) some good luck c) not suffering for years waiting for it to get "bad enough" and d) my Viking genes. All things I have little or no control over.

I did a lot of research before I went foward and from what I know of the Anterior procedure you are progressing exactly as would be expected.5 others had the same procedure with me on the same day by the same doctor. We talked in the hospital and continue to chat. Everyone is at a somewhat different stage.

Even if I wasn't doing so well I'd do it all over again for the relief I've been given.If I had to pick between dancing a Tango or sleeping 8 hrs without waking from pain, I wouldn't have to think twice.

Hang in...keep posting....and keep the faith.

Hi, again, Mary Jane,
I thought I had posted a response to you, but maybe I forgot to hit submit ! Anyway, bilateral THR is not so bad! I didn't quite know what to expect, but as my OS said I didn't have a good leg to stand on, and I think my recovery has probably been easier than it would have been if I only had 1 hip done and was trying to recover with that other arthritic hip. So, at 6 weeks I'm walking without a cane (except forwhen I'm stiff... first thing in the am or if i've been sitting for a while). My OS and PTs tell me I'm about a month ahead of the "norm" in terms of my recovery. Life is certainly better already without the arthritc pain!

I share your frustration at not being able to get outsdide and walk...think Spring!

Texas Jack ~ Viking Genes - I love it! What part of Texas are you from? I'm assuming you live there. My brother lives in Plano with his family.

It sounds like you didn't lose much of your prior conditioning which is wonderful. I read last night on one of the links Josephine posted that it takes a minimum of 3-6 weeks for the joint capsule to rebuild and repair itself so be careful! That's not something I would have known anything about without this site, so I'm very grateful to have found this.

I didn't have time to do much research before I was told I needed the surgery and it came as quite a shock to me. He told me my hip was in an emergent state and I needed the surgery asap. Fortunately, I came upon the perfect surgeon for me who did the procedure I would have wanted had I had the time to do all the research. The universe was working with me on this one!

I slept about 12 hours last night. It wasn't uninterrupted, but I finally feel like I'm getting some good quality sleep time!

Celeste ~ WOW! :th_hugzz: Good for you!! That is so awesome that you are on a cane at six weeks! Now you won't have to go through another major surgery. But I wouldn't hesitate to have my other hip replaced if and when it becomes necessary, sooner than later this time though.

I still can't believe my first surgeon let this go on for so long (2 years). I can't even imagine what he was thinking, but I have to let it go. That's the difference between the old school doctors and the doctors who are more open to the "newer" procedures. The surgeon who performed my THR said he went to Europe to learn the procedure and it still isn't as widely accepted in the Eastern part of the US, as it is in California.

My PT told me yesterday she met a man who had a THR with two 1" incisions on the front of his thigh, but hadn't seen or heard of anyone since who has had this type of THR. I guess insurance here didn't cover it though because it was so new and he had to pay out of pocket. :th_hate-shocked:Gasp!

Hi Mary Jane,

I get my staples out tomorow and will start a new thread to chronicle the on going recovery. You are totally correct about the limited availability of the Anterior procedure. Does that make us pioneers?......probably more appropriate if we become missionaries, spreading the word.

Did you use Dr Matta in LA ? He's regarded as the "father" of Anterior in the US. He trained my OS, Stefan Kreuzer.

I live in Houston....have for 20 years. Born and raised in NYC. My ancestry is Finnish with some Alsacian thrown in. Don't miss the cold and damp one bit. We had a cold snap last week....all the Hibiscus got wilted.

Thanks for reminding me about not over reaching. Certainly don't want to screw up all the Doctors good work.

Hi, Mary Jane.....welcome to BoneSmart! I see you've already met some of our members and you've received some excellent advice as well as pats on the back for a great recovery so far. You are really going to enjoy your new hip once you get through these first few weeks. So think happy thoughts, take things easy while you heal and let us know if you have any questions or concerns. We're right here all the time for you!

Thank you Jamie for your warm welcome! This is a great website. I'm so glad I found this wonderful resource.

Texas Jack - my procedure was done by Dr. Daniel Snyder at Newton Wellesley Hospital in Massachusetts, who mentioned he went to Europe for a few months to learn how to do it. :th_yay:

My mother was here for two weeks helping me since surgery. She went home to Florida this morning. I thought I was looking forward to being on my own again and now it's SOOO quiet ... too quiet! :th_sigh: It's all good though - a necessary step closer to wellness and independent mobility. :smile:

Mary Jane, your Mother may have gone today but you are never alone. You're part of our BoneSmart family now! Rest easy.

Thank you Jaycey!

I am now about 2.5 weeks post op. Today I feel wiped out. Yesterday I had a lot of energy, which I think is because I caught up on some sleep the night before. Also, my pain level was pretty low yesterday as well.

I am now taking one 50 mg. Tramadol every six hours during the day and Aleve, both of which seem to help a lot. I think I need to take two Tramadol at the bedtime dose so I can sleep better though and have more energy during the day. Today, I feel wiped and am in more pain today which could be a result of having had so much energy the day before. I was moving around a bit more and didn't sleep enough last night. So, I'm letting myself rest much of the day, icing a lot, and am spending a lot of time today perusing this website.

It's really been nice having so much information available at my fingertips and others to interact with about the experience who can relate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HaiPao
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom